AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th November, 2004, 05:02 PM

New system, what do you think?

Hi everyone, I am planing on upgrading soon, what do you think? Is there anything I should change?

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 512KB Cache
MSI K8N NEO Platinum
Corsair 512MB PC-3700 TWIN-X Dual Channel Kit
XFX GeForce 6800 128MB DDR
Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB SATA 10000RPM 8MB Cache
Zalman 7000Acu
Cooler Master Aerogate II
Arctic Silver 5 3.5g

PS: Thats about as much as I can afford.
Old 15th November, 2004, 05:14 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Umm

Is that a socket 754 Neo Platnum or a socket 939 Neo2 Platinum?

Also don't forget a case unless you already have one.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th November, 2004, 05:16 PM

Yes its S754 & I do have a case/PSU.
Old 15th November, 2004, 05:21 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

You can change the memory... s754 doesn't handle dual channel, so it would be a waste of money to get a matching pair.

I'd recommend spending a few more bucks to get the s939 version of mobo and CPU... Not earth shattering but would take advantage of the dual channel memory, and is a bit more oomph.
Old 15th November, 2004, 05:30 PM

Is S939 really worth it? How much of a performance boost would I get?
Old 15th November, 2004, 05:35 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

A quick check of Newegg.com shows that 90nm socket 939 3000+ and 130nm socket 754 3000+ chips cost about the same. A socket 939 mobo will cost about $20 more.

Socket 939 will give you dual channel memory and also reduced memory latency because the memory control is on the CPU and not the north bridge.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th November, 2004, 06:44 PM
Member/Contributer

memory control is on the cpu with 754 as well so the only advantage is dual channel, but because amd rates the performance of their chips rather than the clock speed this isn't as big a gain as it would seem
for instance a 3200 754 costs £133 where as a 939 costs £140, then the 754 board is £80 where as the 939 costs £93 so you have a compared price of £213 compared with £233 and that extra £20 would get a 3400+ 754 newcastle which overclocks to about 2.6ghz so 939 is a better choice for the future if you plan on upgrading your cpu before it's outdated but if you don't have future upgrade plans then 754 is still a very good choice

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 15th November, 2004, 08:17 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If it's possible, raising the RAM to 1024 Mb in the future is a good idea. A name brand PSU is a good idea, too--in case the present one is generic.

Welcome to AOA Forums, Freezerburn! Where were my manners?

Last edited by cloasters; 16th November, 2004 at 03:04 PM.
Old 15th November, 2004, 08:28 PM
AOA Staff

Good point cloasters - that system looks like it will need a good PSU.
Old 15th November, 2004, 08:32 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn
Is S939 really worth it? How much of a performance boost would I get?
Assuming the CPU is overclocked, the only difference you can expect to see is nearly double the memory bandwidth. This will result is better overall performance and better gaming... Quantitatively, for a memory benchmark, the score will improve 60-80%. Overall performance, including gaming will improve, 5-10%...

If you can afford it, a gig of RAM is good for a performance system. If you decide against s939, and only want 512 of ram, get it in a single stick.
Old 15th November, 2004, 11:06 PM

That hard disk will be full in seconds...

Old 16th November, 2004, 01:55 AM
Member/Contributer

you may want to consider adding a 200gb maxtor plus10, they're fast and offer roughly the best cost per gb, raptors are great for speed but with that size of drive you only have the room for games and apps plus the os, you won't fit any music or films on it. If you only plan on using games and apps then it's fine but don't be surprised if you find it full in a week or so
I also think it would be worth squeezing your budget o the 74gb model. for a 50% cost increase you get double the capacity, even at the cost of maybe only having a 2800 instead of the 3000, and 3200 instead of 3700 ram which is only 16% faster

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 16th November, 2004, 02:22 AM

Thanks for your help everybody, I would love to get a 74GB Raptor, S939, and 1GB of RAM but its just too much money. Plus I’m already over my limit even before taxes. SteveI - I thought about a single stick but the dual channel kit is cheaper at my local store. Once again thanks for the help. PS: I have the Aerocool 550W PSU.
Old 16th November, 2004, 02:45 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Where are you located? Is mailorder an option?
I understand cost restraints... TBH, I have yet to move on to 64bit goodness myself (see my sig.) I know that when I start, it will cost me a boatload of money to start upgrading, 'cause I can't just have one.
Old 16th November, 2004, 03:07 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
Where are you located? Is mailorder an option?
I understand cost restraints... TBH, I have yet to move on to 64bit goodness myself (see my sig.) I know that when I start, it will cost me a boatload of money to start upgrading, 'cause I can't just have one.

I feel your pain, good sir! Higher priority matters like eating and rent stomp upon my wish for a Monstro Machine. Sigh.
Old 17th November, 2004, 09:47 AM

Also you wont need dual channel DDR kit for the AMD64 754....

It will only do single channel, and unless those stix are single sided you will max out the ram at 166 on a 200fsb...

Trust me I been there...

Old 18th November, 2004, 01:44 AM

I agree with most people here, but you might want to look at other (cheaper) memory to give you some breathing room. There's a lot of memory coming out using TCCD chips that are just as good, but cheaper. Also, the HD's nice, but maybe a bigger, slower drive would be good. With the K8Ns raid, you can get the same (or possibly better) performance from two slightly slower drives. Definitely shop online (unless delivery's a issue) to get the best deals. More than likely, someone's selling those items for less than your local store.
Old 18th November, 2004, 03:09 AM

Something that hasn't been mentioned is that if you intend to overclock, IDE is a better choice than SATA. SATA tends to corrupt easily at even mild overclocks.

As to 939 vs 754 - if you ever intend ot upgrade the CPU in the future, 939 is what you should get. AMD will not be releasing any more Athlon 64 cpus for 754, it is now a Sempron only platform for new stuff. All new CPUs will be 939/940.
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum | Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester Core(90nm) | Zalman CNPS7000-Cu cooler | Antec SL350 PSU | OCZ EL Plat rev. 2 PC3200 2x512 2-2-2-5 | eVGA Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT | Arctic Cooling NV silencer 5 | Razer Diamondback
AOA Team fah
Old 18th November, 2004, 04:28 AM
Member/Contributer

the nforce lets you lock the agp/pci and sata bus' though I beleive
As for the lifespan of 754 it's true that the 3700 will probabally be the fastest chip available for it but current 939 boards are again about to be outdated with pci-express equivalents, If anything the problem with 754's lack of upgrade potential is in it using agp as the chip will be fine for the next 2 years or so and it will be the video card that will be the problem with pci-express likely to be much more widespread by then
A 3000+ newcastle which will probabally overclock to speeds closer to a 3400+ will last plenty long enough, and by the time it's out dated 939 as it currently is will not be so future proof

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th November, 2004, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceTrinal
Something that hasn't been mentioned is that if you intend to overclock, IDE is a better choice than SATA. SATA tends to corrupt easily at even mild overclocks.
That depends on which SATA controller you use on the K8N. I won't rehash cause it's discussed in other threads, but it's true that with IDE you don't have to worry about which controller to use, the raid is still available, and you don't have to worry about corruption when overclocking.