AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th November, 2004, 10:33 PM

Fried CPU

Hi
I had just tried the 'wire trick' on my mobo very carefully done.Heatsink and fan arctic silver 5 all in place correctly.Turn on the PC just got into post when everything died .The tell tale smell told me the worst had happened. I removed the wire and tried again in vain....zero.I have since installed another CPU to see if the mobo was dead(nervously) and everything came on ,luckily nothing else was fried.
Does anyone have any idea why this could of happened I'm too scared to try the 'wire trick' again.

Cheers Steve
Old 20th November, 2004, 12:50 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I guess you let all the magic smoke out of the CPU. Once that smoke get's out, it don't work anymore!!!
Sorry for your loss, but think of it they way, it will force you to get another cpu maybe a faster one this time?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th November, 2004, 01:48 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I've performed the wire trick on about 5 or 6 socket A's and never had a problem... other than lining it up and getting the wires into the correct pinholes. Unfortunately, I can only guess that you crossed up the wrong pins, and shorted out the CPU.

Better luck next time. What mobo are you trying this on? I'd say it's probably better to kill the mobo than the CPU.
Old 22nd November, 2004, 03:40 PM

Hi
sorry it took me so long to answer.
The mobo is a PC Chips not the most advanced it was given to me and while surfing to find out more about it, discovered about overclocking etc so thought I'd give it a go , shame about the frying incident but I guess you live and learn.
As far as the 'wire' I definitely put it in the right holes I doubled checked till I was dizzy!
Forward and onward (Higher?)

Cheers Steve

PS Have some questions about upgrading
Old 22nd November, 2004, 04:37 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

What did you try to mod? multiplier, fsb, or voltage..
If you tried to change the voltage, that may be where the issue lies. TO work properly, the appropriate bridges must be cut first. If not, the voltage change may not work properly and give unexpected results (like too much voltage).

Regarding upgrades... go for it.
Old 22nd November, 2004, 05:22 PM

I was trying to up the voltage using the OCinside guide for XP2200+ 1.65-1.85V using just one wire on My PC Chips board
I have now got a Duron 1300 that I picked up cheap to see if all was OK.
I really didn't want have to buy all new kit.
I posted earlier for advice on choosing between an EP-8RDA3+ or i and ended up getting the 8RDA3+. Turns out its a Rev1.1 seems like not many people think its up to much.Well I've got it now and its somewhere to start.
I dont have alot of cash and would want know which is reasonably priced ram that will overclock and not break the bank also CPU that can be clocked I know now that XP2200+ couldn't be clocked much.The PC Chips board is very limited to choice of CPU (old+picky) good to learn on.

Thanks Steve
Old 22nd November, 2004, 07:32 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

On a budget,
CPU: a mobile barton is a good bet, excellent overclocker, and is unlocked.
Mobo: almost any NF2 system will do nicely.
RAM: depends, most socket A's can't do very high FSB. 215-230 is all you can hope for. Instead focus on tight timings. XMS3200 should do nicely, but there are tons to choose from. Stay away from high latency high speed memory. They don't fit well with socket A platform for performance.

Good luck.
Old 22nd November, 2004, 08:09 PM

Do you mean Corsair? could I start with 256mb and the get another stick later? Oh and what do you reckon on the EP-8RDA3+?

Thanks Steve
Old 22nd November, 2004, 08:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

If your thinking about having 512MBs of RAM, id concider waiting till you got the money and just buying a dual channel set. My mate wanted to do the same thing with 1GB. He bought a single 512 stick hoping he could buy another and use it in dual channel, which didnt work to great!

Motto of the story, "Save just a little more and get the full 512MB!" and get a "Matched Pair" of 256MB sticks.... you wont regret it!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd November, 2004, 09:53 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish
Motto of the story, "Save just a little more and get the full 512MB!" and get a "Matched Pair" of 256MB sticks.... you wont regret it!
I agree, definitely worth the wait. In the end, far more reliable. I've found that unmatched, even the same brand and model, will not perform as well as a matched pair, sometimes by a large margin.
Old 22nd November, 2004, 11:20 PM

Thanks for the advice hopefully Santa will bring be something nice
(we all live in hope!!)(usually its socks!!)

Cheers Steve
Old 1st December, 2004, 08:52 PM

Man thats got to suck!! I know how it is I just now got into building my very first pc and screwed up by trying to overclock it but I didnt fry it I just messed something up and now when I run and application it runs really smooth and gets choppy for about 1 minute cant figure it out!!