AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th December, 2004, 03:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikalcarbine257 Send a message via MSN to mikalcarbine257 Send a message via Yahoo to mikalcarbine257

NF7-S Diode sensor mod?

I did a google search and came upon these forums, along with this NF7-S CPU Thermal Diode Mod, Version 2.0

Can anyone verify that this works? I have an NF7-S rev 2.0 and would LOVE to do this.
Old 27th December, 2004, 04:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yep, I can verify it works. LOL.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th December, 2004, 04:51 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Gizmo's the dude who came up with the mod in the first place. I understand that several of our members have done the mod successfully too.
Old 27th December, 2004, 05:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikalcarbine257 Send a message via MSN to mikalcarbine257 Send a message via Yahoo to mikalcarbine257

Haha! I have a question though, just wanted to verify this. On the pins I lift them OFF of the motherboard so they are no longer in contact with the motherboard? Then I solder the wires on?

Another question, if I was to mess this up, say if I crossed two leads on that Winbond chip, what is the worse that could happen, fry my mobo? And what if I broke one of the pins or something, would the chip still work at all? Just looking at possible instances of when things go wrong
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D | Bios Savior RD1 | A64 Venice (CBBLE 0517) | OCZ PC3200 Plat Rev2 (2-2-2-5) | XFX 6800GT PCIe | Dual 80G SATA Maxtor 6Y080M0/RAID 0 |OCZ Powerstream 520w | SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS w/ Creative THX 550 | WinTV PVR-250

Last edited by mikalcarbine257; 27th December, 2004 at 05:29 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th December, 2004, 05:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

In cases where you lift pins and then solder, yes, you need to lift the pins OFF the motherboard so they are no longer in contact with it, and then solder the wires to the pins that you lifted. Note: ONLY lift the pins that I tell you to lift. For example, in the instructions, I tell you to solder a wire to pin 61 of the Winbond chip, but I don't ever tell you to lift the pin. DO NOT LIFT THIS PIN! All you need to do is solder a wire onto it.

Let us know how you get on. And please, if you are unsure about something or there is some aspect of my instructions that is unclear, either ask here or get help from someone. I'd rather answer a thousand of your questions than have you toast your mobo. Good Luck!
Old 27th December, 2004, 06:20 PM

Another question How do I get a wire underneath the socket? Does it disconnect from the motherboard? And would a spliced IDE ribbon cable wire be good enough? or should I buy some 32 gauge wire like you said you used. And what about if I mess up, mobo fried? or temperature readings off?
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D | Bios Savior RD1 | A64 Venice (CBBLE 0517) | OCZ PC3200 Plat Rev2 (2-2-2-5) | XFX 6800GT PCIe | Dual 80G SATA Maxtor 6Y080M0/RAID 0 |OCZ Powerstream 520w | SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS w/ Creative THX 550 | WinTV PVR-250
Old 27th December, 2004, 07:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

With my 32 guage wire that I used, I was able to just feed it under the bottom of the socket, between the mobo and the socket. You have to feed it in diagonally like I showed in the pic, because that's the only straight line through the socket pins. Even the 32 guage wire was a bit tight; I doubt you'd get anything larger (like your IDE wire) in there.

If you mess up about the worst that can happen is that the computer won't POST until you fix the short that you created, unless you come up with something REALLY imaginative.
Old 27th December, 2004, 09:23 PM

Where may I get my hands on some 32 gauge wire?
Old 27th December, 2004, 11:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I picked mine up at Radio Shack. Standard 32 guage kynar wire-wrap wire.
Old 28th December, 2004, 02:42 AM

Radio shack has it?!?! Damn, I was just there picking up a new soldering iron today lol. I'll have to run back there tomorow, I am gana pick up a 10k ohm potentiometer for my vdd mod too I have a random question for you too Gizmo, lol. I am getting new ram soon and I was wondering if you would recommend OCZ Platinum pc3200 rev 2 (rated at 2-2-2-5). My corsair is ch-5 and I can't overclock it for crap.
Old 28th December, 2004, 06:15 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm running 221 MHz FSB right now with my OCZ EL Platinum, at 2-3-2-11 timings.

Yes, I'd recommend it. But you'll have to run at 2.9v on the Vdimm.
Old 28th December, 2004, 06:48 AM

Is 221 the memory's limit, or your mobos?
Old 28th December, 2004, 08:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ELRocco Send a message via AIM to ELRocco Send a message via MSN to ELRocco Send a message via Yahoo to ELRocco

i beliee if you go higher than 221 it gets to hot am i right gizmo
tobitsi dvd-rom, cyberhome dvd-rw dl 16x16x4
Old 28th December, 2004, 03:53 PM

The ram? I am sure it could handle fsb higher than that, I've seen people go insane fsbs with that ram, but yes it will be somewhat hotter
Old 28th December, 2004, 04:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

TBH, I'm not really sure if it is the RAM or the mobo. Considering the RAM is rated for 200 MHz, getting 221 MHz out of it is pretty good, IMHO. I haven't tried anything faster, but the general consensus seems to be that most NF7 boards will get to around 220-230 MHz and that is about it.