AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th January, 2005, 11:23 AM

loose stability

I am running an epox 8kha+ with the mobile 2500+ athlon i have the multiplier at 16x and the fsb at 133 now i tried 140 for the fsb and i lose stabilty in games only. i can run the cpu burn for days. Now my question is would better ram then pc2100 solve my problem? or is this a chipset\cpu problem? Also is there anyway to raise the fsb without touching the ram clock rate?

thx again.
Old 4th January, 2005, 06:53 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

most likely a chipset issue...it's only during gaming that a chipset get fully used...3-d stuff, physics processing, and possibly a network connection, ensure gaming are one of the most intensive things you can do.
if you board offers a way to set the ram, it may be possible to do as you wish..look for something in the bios that allows you to set 100,133,166, or 200.
Old 5th January, 2005, 01:28 AM

I have never installed chipset drivers? coudl this be the problem. One time i installed the Via hyperion drivers but they made me stutter badly in games and havent tried them since(this was about a year ago).
Old 5th January, 2005, 02:31 AM
Projector Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
I am running an epox 8kha+ with the mobile 2500+ athlon i have the multiplier at 16x and the fsb at 133 now i tried 140 for the fsb and i lose stabilty in games only. i can run the cpu burn for days. Now my question is would better ram then pc2100 solve my problem? or is this a chipset\cpu problem? Also is there anyway to raise the fsb without touching the ram clock rate?

thx again.
3 main things being overclocked when boosting the FSB to 140MHz are
The CPU, your Ram and the Chipset.

I see your CPU is at 2.1GHz. it could be you are pushing too far for the cooler/chip you have. Its quite a conservative speed though so I dont immediately suspect this.
To check if your CPU is the problem, reduce the multiplier to x15 (or lower) and then see how high the FSB will go.

Your PC2100 (DDR266) Ram is a likely culprit. Try relaxing the BIOS Ram timings a notch.
I recommend getting faster ram to get the most out of your cpu, but you are likely to be limited by your chipset as Cadaveca suggested.

Check the paste underneath the chipset heatsink and replace if necessary. You may need to boost the chipset voltage a little. Make sure it doesnt get too hot.

Good luck

ps Good case airflow is needed when overclocking.
X1800XT clocked to PE

Last edited by Chernobyl; 5th January, 2005 at 03:03 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th January, 2005, 03:06 AM
Projector Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
I have never installed chipset drivers? coudl this be the problem. One time i installed the Via hyperion drivers but they made me stutter badly in games and havent tried them since(this was about a year ago).
This is unlikely to be part of the overclocking problem (you never know though!).
Please do install the latest stable drivers you can find. You may get reliability and performance improvements.
X1800XT clocked to PE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th January, 2005, 03:12 AM

I highly doubt its a processor heat issue i have a coolermaster aero 7 lite on max settings and idle is 35 on full load it doesnt go above 43. I was actually considering the chipset heat issue. Currently it only has a plastic heatsick with a fan on it i may replace with an aluminum heatsink and give that a try. Again im betting it is the ram though. I do not know much about ram timings but i think mine are on the slowest already? Higher is slower right? i believe im 2.5-3-3-6

and i think thats the lowest settings my bios allows. thx again for the quick response

Last edited by Scuzzy; 5th January, 2005 at 04:00 AM.