AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th January, 2005, 10:10 PM

Computer won't boot Please Help!!!!

System Specs:
AMD 64 3400+
EPOX 8KDA3J Nvidia Nforce 250gb
512MB CORSAIR VALUE SELECT RAM
120GB Western Digital HD
Q-Tec 550watt power supply.
Gainward Nvidia GeIforce 6800GT

Problem:

My computer was working fine until i bought my new graphics card and new IDE Cables.I took out the old and put in the new.When i turned on the computer it recognised the graphics card and then went onto the bios screen before it loads up windows.It started to detect the IDE Drives again(which i thought was odd)it took about 5-10 minutes and won't boot windows.When i restarted the computer it starts to detect the IDE drives all over again.
If i try to boot from a CD or floppy it doesn't either.
When booting from the HD it goes:verifying dmi pool data and then says boot from CD.

Then goes nvidia boot agent media test failure,check cable.
All cables are connected and i put the old ones back in to see if the new ones were faulty they weren't and i put the old video card back in.

Then it goes isk boot failure,insert systen disk.
Idid nothing happened.

Please HELP any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 6th January, 2005, 10:15 PM
Member/Contributer

check that the jumpers are set properly for master/slave if this doesn't work then it sounds like the ide cable is faulty switching back to your old one or the one your optical drive is on would help rule this out or confirm it

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th January, 2005, 10:24 PM

i got sent an ide cable where part of the cable was actually twisted in the middle. went straight in the bin
1 Gig RAM
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th January, 2005, 10:44 PM

Yeh i have done all that.

The Hard drive is set to master and i have tried the old ones and it doesn't work.

Thanks for suggestion.
Anymore.
Please reply.
Old 6th January, 2005, 11:04 PM
AOA Staff

Can you get in to the BIOS?

Are the drives listed correctly in the BIOS or not?
Old 7th January, 2005, 06:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

to try to narrow down the source of the problem...i would remove the graphics card and go with the old configuration. it's a (sometimes time consuming) practice i've learned over time is to go back to the original configuration if possible and then slowly proceed. sort of like debugging.

initially i'd say its the cable. but since you say that even the original cable doesn't work now, i'd try a slightly different configuration. try switching the master/slave drives. make the cd rom the master and hd the slave. its not the ideal config but again, i'd try that just for the heck of it.

also i'd restore the bios to the factory settings...use a win98 boot disk to boot and see if it picks up every drive in the correct place.

barneygumble742
32in + 24in LCD
Old 7th January, 2005, 08:50 PM

Tried still doesn't work.

I can get into the bios and everything seems normal.
After it detects the drives it takes a while to go into the bios or the boot screen.Considering it only took a second when i first built the computer.
Other people suggested that cmos battery might be dead because that might explain why the computer has to detect the drives over and over again.
Other people said my Q-TEC 550 watt power supply might not be up for the job.
The computer also shuts down after i save and exit from the bios.

Thanks for the replys anymore.

Thanks please help..
Old 7th January, 2005, 09:37 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

try just one drive. With a lower powered vid card if possible.

Was the system set up on a RAID?
Old 7th January, 2005, 10:11 PM
AOA Staff

Can you set-up the drives manually in the BIOS?
Old 7th January, 2005, 10:23 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

I'd say that the video cardd was plugged into the same line as the drive, and the drive is not getting enough power. 6800's are beasts.
Old 7th January, 2005, 10:32 PM
AOA Staff

You could be right there. In fact I missed the part about the Qtec PSU! A high quality PSU should be used here.
Old 9th January, 2005, 12:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

It sounds like the drive may be the problem here. When you went back to the original vid card and cables did it still take a while to get past the detecting drives part of the POST? If so try disconnecting the hard drive and boot to see if it flies past it.
Old 9th January, 2005, 12:40 AM

What is the best power supply to buy.

I would say my power supply is one of the problems since my powers supply died and i can't turn on my computer.

What is the best possible power supply for the job so this won't happen again.

Thanks any suggestions.
Old 9th January, 2005, 12:42 AM

Tried it.

Yes the computer still took ages to detect the drives after i put the old video card in and cables.But my power is dead so i can't try disconnecting the hard drive.

Thanks for reply
Old 9th January, 2005, 02:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas

Wink

PSUs rating using the magic wattage only is pure BS.
There are 550+++W PSUs out there, that have notably lover 12V A specifications as mine 480W Antec NEO PSU. (18+16A = 34A (!) on 12V in two sepearate rails )

http://silentpcreview.com/article177-page1.html

...as you already learned the hard way, 12V Amper ratings are the most important ones right now (nForce chipsets + hungry HDDs + extremly hungry GFY cards)

Another quality PSU i got in my possesion is Enermax EG 485P-VHS ( http://www.enermax.com.tw/products_p...Gid=18&Gid2=40 ) witch can pull off 16 and 15A (31A in total) - again in two separated 12V rails.

My suggestion is go with the Antec 480W NEO PSU and don't be affraid that it might not be up to the job, when the 550W crap fail It will make it, or RMA
Another suggestion might be the Enermax 650W PSU
(this one is insane, you can virtually throw anything at it and it hold still pretty well, my friend tested it and he was impressed, but not gained more O/C that using 550W PowerStream - also a good PSU to consider )
Old 9th January, 2005, 05:11 PM
AOA Staff

You get what you pay for with PSU's. Don't be tempted to get a high wattage cheap one - as trodas pointed out.

I'm using am Antec 480w for the rig in my sig.
Old 10th January, 2005, 02:22 PM
Projector Wizard

Agreed

Older Enermax 420W in use here, handles everything with ease, apart from...
exactly the problem you had David.

With my old FX5900 plugged into the same power lead as a hard drive, the hard drive gave all manner of failures. My PSU didnt suffer any damage possibly due to better design. I advise to keep the power to the GFX card on a separate power lead.
The hard drive was fine after reurning to its own lead.
X1800XT clocked to PE