AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th January, 2005, 04:48 AM

Pleeeeaaasssseeee help......XP stepping confusion

Hi, I need some advice on a Athlon XP I been offered quiet cheap to put in my new mobo an NF7-S rev2.0 that I picked up for 20quid in the box all shiny and new

The chip i am considering is an Athlon XP2500+ Barton Core, but the stepping on it confuse me. I have only read that AQYHA is a mobile athlon or am I getting my wires crossed(so to speak)

Can anybody say if it will, potentially, be a good overclocker or not, I know there are lots of other factors involved.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Numbers are.AXDA2500DKV4D/AQYHA 0412)MPMW/Z407865C40654

Thanks for your help

Last edited by 5cr3w8all; 20th January, 2005 at 05:58 AM. Reason: no replies
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2005, 05:24 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, 5cr3w8all!

Bump!
Old 20th January, 2005, 06:35 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

AXDA2500DKV4D

this gives it away..mobiles are generally fqq4c. Mobiles have a max operating temp of 100c, whiles destops have 85, i think. The answer is there in the numbers, but you must keep in mind that there are no longer being any athlon XP's produced...mobile chips and semprons are all that are left.
Old 20th January, 2005, 06:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Plus, being an AQYHA stepping, you would probably want to stay away from it even if it were a mobile (and Cad's right, that part number isn't for a mobile chip).

The AQYHAs tend not to OC well. A little over 2.4 GHz is all I ever got out of the two I had, and a lot of other people have similar experiences.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2005, 11:00 PM
Member/Contributer

....but if the price is right 2.4Ghz isn't too bad is it? If you are buying it brand new then I'd consider paying slightly more for an XP-M2500 or 2600+ and getting slightly higher clocks at lower temps.

/my £0.02

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 21st January, 2005, 12:28 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

2.4 GHz isn't too bad, unless you are having to run 2 volts to get it. I had to push really REALLY hard to get to 2.45 GHz. On the plus side, they would do 2.2 GHz (3200+ speed) all day long, just for the asking at around 1.6v