AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th February, 2002, 05:31 AM
Banned

Duron unlocking hell Part MCXII

This thing is unlocked properly, suspecting now it's the shuttle board... used the defogger paint, made sure the contacts were made cleanly, booted for me once at 7.5x135mhz and even folder a WU, then rebooted (this is where the problems were before...) and once again "Bootblock BIOS BIOS ROM Checksum error..."

This is an ongoing issue, and the only constant is the motherboard... am I missing something? What was the thing about crossing the L7s to get 1.85v?? Will that really help since I already have voltage settings in the bios?
Old 8th February, 2002, 05:49 AM

When I had my Duron 800 in the Abit KT7-E mobo I had the cpu unlocked just the same as you do, and it worked great 800 @ 1.0.

Just used the BIOS I did. So I don't think crossing the L7's would make a diference. As long as the BIOS IS doing it.
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th February, 2002, 05:56 AM

Found the Duron.
Attached Thumbnails
Duron unlocking hell Part MCXII-duron-2.jpg  
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th February, 2002, 06:49 AM

Pinky,

Read this article here it might be able to explain what is happening to you.
Here is a quote from it
Quote:
From what VIA told us, during the first few cycles of the boot process and before the system is able to access the BIOS, the default multiplier of the CPU must be used.
In the case of VIA’s KT133A reference board, those first few cycles at boot use the default CPU multiplier and look to a 100/133MHz jumper for the FSB speed. Once initialized, the BIOS can take over with a new multiplier, FSB, etc. as the motherboard manufacturer chooses to implement
Old 8th February, 2002, 01:37 PM
Banned

Thanx guys, I'll try booting/rebooting a few times tonight and review that article...
Old 8th February, 2002, 03:54 PM
Banned

Just finished reading that article... basically, I've been setting the bus and multiplier simulataneously which may be why it's being problematic. If I chnage the bus speed to 133, reboot, and thn change to 7.5x, reboot, it should work according to the article...

If it doesn't then I'm stuck at 933
Old 8th February, 2002, 04:19 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Also keep in mind that until the bios kicks in and takes over, the CPU is being forced to run at default voltage. This is at the FSB you selected(133 or more) and the stock multiplier.

If all else fails.... if you paint the L7 to force the voltage higher, that may give it enough juice to make it to the bios, where your voltage selection there takes over.

Just an idea.
Old 8th February, 2002, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
Also keep in mind that until the bios kicks in and takes over, the CPU is being forced to run at default voltage. This is at the FSB you selected(133 or more) and the stock multiplier.

If all else fails.... if you paint the L7 to force the voltage higher, that may give it enough juice to make it to the bios, where your voltage selection there takes over.

Just an idea.
Interesting theory, perhaps that's what fails the bootup...

I'll try both, can't hurt much at this point...

so you paint all the L7s to get 1.85?
Old 8th February, 2002, 04:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Simply connect all the L7's, just as you did with the L1's. It might not help, but it certainly won't hurt. I'd look in to a voltage mod for that motherboard as well.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 8th February, 2002, 05:21 PM

On one of my Duron 800 machines I had to actually cut a bridge to reduce the default multiplier to 7 before I could get it to boot at 1080 everytime.
Old 8th February, 2002, 10:06 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Looking at the Duron with the AMD logo on top, the L7 will look like this: I:I:I, (if your default is 1.6v). Paint a bridge like this III:I, will give you 1.80v. All five closed as Jeff said, gives you 1.85v. If you try a mod to get higher voltage, be ready to dissipate a lot more heat.

good luck.
Old 8th February, 2002, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
Looking at the Duron with the AMD logo on top, the L7 will look like this: I:I:I, (if your default is 1.6v). Paint a bridge like this III:I, will give you 1.80v. All five closed as Jeff said, gives you 1.85v. If you try a mod to get higher voltage, be ready to dissipate a lot more heat.

good luck.
That's exactly right steve, took notice of it last night when I first posted this, and I'd prefer only getting 1.80v since this chip's a rocker and I'd rather have it run a bit slower with some room for extra heat (summer) than push her to the uppermost tolerance and have no room to play with (like I am with the Tualatin which will have to be lowered if this summer is hot).