AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd January, 2005, 11:56 AM

Exclamation amd sempron new

purchased motherboard kit from komplett installed all OK on friday switched on black screen and beeps from on board speaker every 12/15 secs cannot move any ideas
Old 23rd January, 2005, 04:11 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Welcome to AOA....
Your description could be caused by a lot of different causes... The two most likely are:
-memory failure
-mobo grounding

First, clear CMOS and try reseating the memory... If that doesn't help, you should check all the case studs on the back of the mobo to make sure none of the studs are touching the mobo where they shouldn't.

Also, detail system components so we can get a better feel for your problem.
Old 23rd January, 2005, 04:34 PM

amd sempron details

Hi Stevel mobo eoxep-8kmm5i skt akm400a ata sata.ac97.semron 2500 pcu.pc 3200 512 unbuff non p 64x64. tried reset on cmos reseat memory no change mobo seems clear from any contact at all
Old 23rd January, 2005, 06:05 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I'm not familiar with your mobo. Is it a microATX board with on board video?
Make sure when you reset CMOS that the power is disconnected from the PSU for about 10 seconds before you clear. If that doesn't work, Read the manual, check for all jumpers and verify that all are set correctly for the CPU, onboard video and such.

Last resort, I'd remove the motherboard from the case, with just the cpu/hsf and a memory stick installed, see if it will power up. The mobo's box is a good place to rest the mobo.
Old 24th January, 2005, 01:16 AM
Member/Contributer

Something I've learnt along the way is to test everything before I assemble it in the case. Its messy having everything on the desk but you can get to things faster and easier.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th January, 2005, 02:51 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgoat
Something I've learnt along the way is to test everything before I assemble it in the case. Its messy having everything on the desk but you can get to things faster and easier.

Laz.

That's a dammed good idea, Lazgoat!
Old 24th January, 2005, 06:07 PM

Lazgoat is right on the money, I always do my assembly outside the case as well.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th January, 2005, 06:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I do initial POST type assembly outside the case, but I also do a final burn-in with the case fully buttoned up. Murphy's law has taught me that if anything will go wrong, it will happen at the time when it is the most work to fix (i.e. when the case is completely buttoned up).
Old 25th January, 2005, 03:47 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I do initial POST type assembly outside the case, but I also do a final burn-in with the case fully buttoned up. Murphy's law has taught me that if anything will go wrong, it will happen at the time when it is the most work to fix (i.e. when the case is completely buttoned up).
No kidding. The best way to make sure that something doesn't work right is to put all the covers onto a box and firing it up after futzing with it!