AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th January, 2005, 05:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Zalman 80D-HP Heatpipe Graphics Card Cooler

Does anyone have any experience with a Zalman 80D heatpipe with an OP-1 fan attached?

Also, how much space do you think it would take up? Not the fan, just the heatpipe because my northbridge heatsink is very close to my AGP port, about 1cm separation.

Zalman 80D-HeatPipe

OP-1 Fan addon

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th January, 2005, 07:02 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Zalman ZM80D-HP Review

my review on it.

not bad heatsink...make sure to get the paste everywhere.
lots of clearance on a 8-memchip 9800pro. Only the heatpipes protrude...the ati silincer on my x800 gives less clearance.
Old 28th January, 2005, 07:29 AM

pic001

No, sorry, I didnt mean clearance between the card and heatpipe, i meant what is the distance between the card itself and the edge of the heat pipe. Because my northbridge heatsink sits up and its very close to the AGP port.

SEE ATTACHED IMAGE FOR WHAT I MEAN.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th January, 2005, 08:04 AM

oh...on the backside, if you look at the "topshot pic in the review, you can see that the heatsink only comes up to about alhf-way past the gpu. If you install the heatsink right tho, the northbridge will get alot more hot air than it did before.
Attached Thumbnails
Zalman 80D-HP Heatpipe Graphics Card Cooler-topshot.jpg  
Old 28th January, 2005, 09:40 AM

Ohh nice, now I can put on a fanned northbridge heatsink. Sweet action. Thanks mate.

BTW: Would the northbridge get less hot air pumped onto it if I use a Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 2?

Old 28th January, 2005, 10:36 AM

Yes and no. It depends on alot of things, but mostly on where your fans are placed elsewhere in your system. The fan on that cooler will end up dumping about 30% of the heat from the card into the area of the cpu. If you have enough exhaust to draw away the flow from the zalman's fan, then it really isn't and issue, or, if like me, you have 2 fans dumping cold air in your side door inline with the videocard. The exact same setup you see in my avatar was put in another case, which only had one 80mm in and 1 80mm out + PSU out, and the northbridge temps jumped 15c. Upon playing with fanspeeds tho, i was able to find that balance again in the new case, and only gain 4c.
The zalman is capable of being a far better cooler than the ATI silencer, but it's so damn hard to get the paste right...i mean, really, for best results you need articsilver5, and getting it so there is full contact between both pipes and both heatsinks in that situation is not an easy task. I wasted at least 2 whole tubes trying to get it right.
I'm pretty sure that's why sapphire moved to the Artic line of coolers...pure ease of installation. The ati silencers are no more difficult to install than any stock heatsink, and easier than more than a few.
Old 28th January, 2005, 02:12 PM

Yeah, thats why im swinging towards the Arctic one. Im not really confident enough with my modding skills to do something that challenging to my brand new system (3 weeks old). Because when I mounted the heatsink to my CPU it didnt require thermal-paste/glue stuff it was just double sided thermal tape.

Old 28th January, 2005, 05:49 PM
Member/Contributer

it does look like you would be quite close to your northbridge with the zalman.
like cadaveca said, with a fan on the zalman is a better gpu cooler, but that heat is added to the case temp. With an arctic cooler, it's not that they have no impact on case temps but I would think less then a zalman
either could easily keep a 9600xt in check though

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 29th January, 2005, 01:18 AM

Yeah, I dont doubt that, but ive never had any experience using thernal-paste, I dont want to stuff it up. And there is nowhere around where I live, that I know of, who could help me. Unless someone here could give me a 'rule of thumb' i'll be getting a Arctic Cooling 3.