AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd February, 2005, 08:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The 2200+ 35W AQYHA stepping is supposed to be serious stuff when it comes to OCing. What little I've heard about the AQYFA stepping is that it's not quite as good, but still a good chip.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd February, 2005, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
The 2200+ 35W AQYHA stepping is supposed to be serious stuff when it comes to OCing. What little I've heard about the AQYFA stepping is that it's not quite as good, but still a good chip.

...and a bargain for £40!...

rig: a7n8x-x, Xp-m 2200 , 3/4 gig mem, fx5200, akasa carnival - 46c stable,

cheers once more to rondog

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th April, 2005, 01:07 AM

hope some of you still watching this old thread - too 'tired' tonight to start a new one...
have finally got all my bits together again... powered up and got the cmos checksum error again. (i tried all the solutions)

this time I found a failsafe setting on the BIOS screen, so managed to get to POST!! I was stunned!!! However, on restart (wired FDD upside down - duh!) the RAM check got to the top and cycled back round again, and started into a third time round before I ESCed out of it and got as far as requiring a bootdisk before switching off (as all bootdisks are upstairs and it's late here!)

Anyway, I can live with this until I solve it, but the real problem is that the BIOS setup isn't recognising the 2200+ mobile I bought. Should I hang around now to sort out the recognition problem, or get on and stick WinXP on it, see how well it runs and sort it later?

btw, i wish i had a spare monitor so i could run it in tandem! mind you, i'll need a little screen for the old PC when it is relegated to the office for internet duty - anyone spotted any TFTs for dirt cheap UK?

stay positive

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Streethawk; 30th April, 2005 at 01:10 AM. Reason: typo - blame Ernest & Julio Gallo
Old 30th April, 2005, 02:38 AM

I don't think it to be all that important about recognition if it will run Windows the way you want it too.... That being said you will need a fairly late model BIOS for it to work...I believe all of Merlin's BIOS will recognize the mobiles.... and they have a L12 soft-modded in.
Rig 1 MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400+, 4 gig PC6400, 3870; and then MSI K9A2 CF, 5000+; Abit Fatal1ty AN8, Opteron 185; ASRock 939Dual VSTA, 4400+; EPoX 9NPA+ Ultra, 148 Opteron; Abit KN9 SLI, 5000+;Abit UL8, 3800+; Gigabyte 754 3200+; ASUS A8N-VM CSM, 3500+, ASRock Dual Sata-2, 3200+, Abit NF7-S; DFI NFII; EPoX 8RDA6+Pro.
Old 30th April, 2005, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaz3
I don't think it to be all that important about recognition if it will run Windows the way you want it too.... That being said you will need a fairly late model BIOS for it to work...I believe all of Merlin's BIOS will recognize the mobiles.... and they have a L12 soft-modded in.
so if it comes up and tells me it's a 600mhz processor, it'll still be ok? should I twit about with it persuading it that the processor is faster than that now before installing windows, or after? also the processor speeds on the BIOS screen only appear to go up to 1700- what's all that about? do i need to mess with the fsb & multiplier settings to get this to change? is this too many questions without a para. break?

AOA Team fah
Old 30th April, 2005, 03:59 PM

You still should get a late model BIOS first, here is ABIT's last BIOS for the NF7-S Version 2.0 (Not the same as a Version 1.2 or a S2 board.) it was compiled in December 2004....not that long ago..

http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bi...es=1&model=124

better yet would be Tic Tac's Mantaray D26 XT Bios I have a link to his forum like download page. You will need to scroll to the bottom of the page. There are two versions, I would get the first one in your setup. (I have been wrong before and often )

http://s6.invisionfree.com/undercloc...hp?showtopic=9

and you might want to read thru this thread.

Help OC'ing 2600+ XP-M IQYHA and NF7-S!!!!

I could not find a current link to the great "Merlin" BIOS (I use them on my NF7-S and EPoX).... but try to GOOGLE it I am out of time at the Moment... The Warden Calls!
Rig 1 MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400+, 4 gig PC6400, 3870; and then MSI K9A2 CF, 5000+; Abit Fatal1ty AN8, Opteron 185; ASRock 939Dual VSTA, 4400+; EPoX 9NPA+ Ultra, 148 Opteron; Abit KN9 SLI, 5000+;Abit UL8, 3800+; Gigabyte 754 3200+; ASUS A8N-VM CSM, 3500+, ASRock Dual Sata-2, 3200+, Abit NF7-S; DFI NFII; EPoX 8RDA6+Pro.
Old 1st May, 2005, 02:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Hey streethawk. Good to see your systems up and running! Hope you resolve your BIOS issue.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 3rd May, 2005, 03:03 AM

There is a Barton XP mobile 2000 but you don't want it as it's not Socket A - the AXMD2000GJQ4C. You want an XP-M that has "F" not "G" after the 2000. I doubt that anyone would be selling the smaller laptop socket mobile but food for thought anyway.

Here's a nice chart with more info: http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html#xpm

EDIT: Whoops! I missed the second page of this thread. Good going getting the Barton XP-M 2200+. I have one (AXMD2200FJQ4C AQYHA0427DPOW) and it overclocks to 2.5GHz but I run it day to day at 2.4.
A7N8X-E Deluxe, XP-M 2600+ @218x11, 1GB KVR PC3200, ATI 9550, Lian Li Mid tower case/CM RS-450-ACLY

Last edited by Quentin; 3rd May, 2005 at 03:11 AM.
Old 3rd May, 2005, 03:17 AM

It's running at 600MHz because the FSB defaults to 100 and the multiplier is 6. If you increase to 133 times 12.5 you'll be at the stock XP-M 2200+ setting and much faster until you settle in on an overclock.

Definitely look in to the BIOSes Pandaz3 recommends. I'd upgrade the BIOS before installing Windows.
A7N8X-E Deluxe, XP-M 2600+ @218x11, 1GB KVR PC3200, ATI 9550, Lian Li Mid tower case/CM RS-450-ACLY
Old 8th May, 2005, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

EDIT: Whoops! I missed the second page of this thread. Good going getting the Barton XP-M 2200+. I have one (AXMD2200FJQ4C AQYHA0427DPOW) and it overclocks to 2.5GHz but I run it day to day at 2.4.
Cheers Quentin - i found i could alter the fsb and multiplier and have it nice and stable at 1800. i was only concerned that the mobo didn't immediately recognise the cpu, but it seems to be a regular problem...

i'm nervous about flashing the bios as i have little (no!) understanding in the field- have left it as is for now, but am messing with the system for a while whilst the cpu burns in... i may decide to reformat and install SE instead of XP as I don't like it much (although some of my future software may not run without xp) and might have a go at it then if I can be persuaded that it's a reversible... or even necessary - what advantage will it get me?

AOA Team fah
Old 8th May, 2005, 11:13 PM

Don't step into the past with SE.....If you don't care for XP try a new Linux distro, you can usually download one for a trial. You need a burner and to learn how to do ISO's but think of it as a good part of your education. I would recommend Mandrake or Fedora, there are so may good distros it's hard to choose, but those two are more user friendly to a new person. (I don't care for Linux and use XP on most machines) I like best a new version of XP with SP2 already slipstreamed with it.

Normally for flashing the BIOS you put a new floppy in you machine, click on My Computer, single click the A drive to select it, then go to file, format and double click on that (I guess you could right click on your A drive and get there faster, but I never remember that in time) Anyways... you now have a pop-up that says something like 'Format 3.5 floppy drive'.... Go down to the options and check the little square my create MS-DOS start up disk. (It may say Boot disk, I don't recall) then push the pop-ups "Start" button. It should get another little pop-up warning you that it will erase all the data on that disk! Press yes or okay, it should start formating. It will take a little bit and then you will have a formated "Boot" disk. won't do you any good at the moment, but now you have a place to put the BIOS files in a few minutes. First go http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/utility/ and download the .23k utility to your Floppy. Leave it alone.

Now go to the BIOS you want to download and down load it to your documents or desktop (Best to make a new folder in 'My Documents' label it as BIOS and download to there) now go to the Downloaded BIOS and extract it. My memory is failing me now, but you should have two or three items in the folder now, send them to your Floppy. Write down on a piece of paper the file name that ends in .bin... you may need to enter it in the DOS program. leave every thing alone with the Floppy still in and hit re-start. It will post and eventually come up with a DOS Prompt... Enter awdflash.exe at the prompt and press enter on your keyboard. The flash program will load and it will ask what you want to load..... the filename you wrote on the paper, or some time it lets you scroll and choose. I think you and the program can handle it from here. DO NOT POWER DOWN or anything else till it is done.

You have the new BIOS!

it does the L12 softmod among other things which will allow you to easily use 166 or 200 FSB like you thought you should and I believe it uses the 200 FSB ROMSIP table (DO NOT ASK ME WHAT THAT MEANS!) It is worth your trouble.

I normally just go 11x200 and that pleases me... Enjoy!
Old 8th May, 2005, 11:20 PM

And Yes you can go thru the same process and put ABIT's latest NF7-S Bios on it should you want. So it is reversible, not that you would want too. I don't recall what you have for memory but I believe the CPC 2 BIOS works better with 2x512 Ram and CPC 1 with 2x256.... If I am wrong I am sure someone here will correct me.
Old 9th May, 2005, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streethawk
Cheers Quentin - i found i could alter the fsb and multiplier and have it nice and stable at 1800. i was only concerned that the mobo didn't immediately recognise the cpu, but it seems to be a regular problem...

i'm nervous about flashing the bios as i have little (no!) understanding in the field- have left it as is for now, but am messing with the system for a while whilst the cpu burns in... i may decide to reformat and install SE instead of XP as I don't like it much (although some of my future software may not run without xp) and might have a go at it then if I can be persuaded that it's a reversible... or even necessary - what advantage will it get me?
Good to see things are going well, Streethawk! There are benefits from modded BIOSes (if you can find a good one for your earlier revision of the NF7) but it is not necessary if your system is working well with the XP-M2200+ now. The BIOSes really help to increase the FSB on later revision boards but your revision probably will limit you to 200MHz or a little under. So the new 200MHz FSB ROMSIP tables Pandaz3 mentioned may not help you anyway. (Or they could give your board the extra oommph to reach 200MHz - only way to know is to try.)

Personally I like to have the latest and best modded BIOS especially with an older motherboard because problems may have been fixed over the years. My ASUS boards from 2003 got a tremendous boost from excellent Trats' BIOSes from 9/2004. (He took the latest BIOS from ASUS and improved them. Merlin, Trats, TicTac and others have done the same with ABit BIOSes.) But again if yours works, you may not want to take the chance - and there are a lot of things that can go wrong during a BIOS flash.

I have flashed firmware to motherboards, optical drives, DVD players, etc. over 250 times I suspect. Only one went bad but it almost cost me a motherboard. A corrupt floppy disk was the problem and I had to do a hot swap of the BIOS to recover. It worked but was a scary evening.

In addition to the instructions Pandaz3 gave you, if you want to minimize chances of error it is best to format the floppy on the floppy drive that will be used for the flash. Then make it a boot floppy and copy to it the BIOS file that you are certain is the one for your board. Then I compare the file on the floppy to another copy on the hard disk to be sure. (I am so anal that I download the zipped file twice, unzip each in different folders, copy one uncompressed file to the floppy then compare it to the other uncompressed file in the other folder.) Lastly, you must ensure that there is no power interruption during the update so an UPS is a good idea.

You said you're running at 1800MHz now - what are your settings, 166x11? My XP-M2200+ runs very happily at 2.2GHz and with some work I'm at 2.4 reliably with all four of my mobiles. You may want to get Memtest86+ to do intial testing outside of Windows to see what you can do. If your cooling is good, I bet you could quickly get to 185FSB and a multiplier of 12 which would put you at XP3200+ performance.

I agree with Pandaz3 that you shouldn't go back to Windows 98SE. It was great in its day but XP is the version you'll need today. I run XP Pro on three of my systems and Windows 2000 Pro on my A7N8X 2.0 Deluxe and an older laptop. 2000 is nice because it looks so much like 98SE but is stable like XP. Unfortunately, Microsoft isn't supporting any version of Windows well today except XP. Linux is a big step and that's certainly up to you. For me I have such a big investment in Windows and Windows software, I can't start over at this time no matter how good Linux may be.

Good luck!
Old 9th May, 2005, 08:17 PM

Oh, two things... Streethawk, it was most fortunate that you got the Barton XP-M2200+ instead of the TBred XP-M2000+, you certainly got a better chip!

Barton cores run at 133MHz (266FSB) in mobiles and 166 or 200MHz (333 or 400FSB) in desktop CPUs. They run especially well at 200 and our 133MHz XP-Ms in a desktop board cry for 200MHz.

This brings up the ROMSIP tables Pandaz3 mentioned. I also don't really understand what's going on but this is what I've read:

AMD factory sets the L12 bridges on the CPU to the FSB expected to be used. In laptops that is 133MHz so that's what our XP-Ms are set to. In desktop CPUs it's set to either 166 or 200. However, XP-Ms in desktops do just fine at 200 or better but our motherboards read the L12 bridges and use timings that are better suited for 133 even if we force the FSB to 166 or 200. One way around this is to modify the L12 bridge and another is to use a modded BIOS that replaces the 133 table with the 200 table.

It even goes farther than that, Trats "borrowed" ROMSIPS from the DFI nForce2 BIOS that are better than ABIT or ASUS ROMSIPS. So his modded BIOS really optimizes the XP-M to run at and above 200MHz in desktop motherboards with no hardware bridge modding necessary. I found this to be true because I immediately saw big increases in my overclocks when I went to the Trats BIOS.

Instead of using the ASUS 133MHz ROMSIP table, the Trats BIOS uses DFI's superior 200MHz ROMSIP table for my mobiles! I think other good modded BIOSes for ABIT are doing that, too.

Last edited by Quentin; 9th May, 2005 at 08:25 PM.