AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th February, 2005, 02:40 PM

Unlocked Athlon 1700 XP on old MoBo

Hi.
I've just "unlocked" an Athlon 1700 XP (Palomino core) AX1700DMT3C AGOIA 0220 MPM 41062982479 by carefully filling in the L1 laser cut trenches with super glue, trimming the excess back then bridging the gaps with conductive laquer.

This process seems to have worked OK. I am able to set different multipliers, and the CPU responds to most of them.

However, I have noticed one or two "wierd" things.

Firstly, I should explain that I aim to run this CPU at 2x100Mhz FSB (or there-abouts) on either an Epox 8KTA+ or an Epox 8KTA2, both of which are old VIAKT133 boards, with very little difference between them. (The southbridge on the 8KTA2 is better, allowing ATA100 rather than the ATA66 of the 8KTA+ and this is essentially the ONLY difference.)

Installed in the 8KTA+, without a CPU shim (to safeguard against cracking the core when messing about with the HS/Fan a lot) and the multiplier set to "Autodetect" this CPU registers at 1050Mhz, which IS strange becuase when locked its multiplier was 11.0 and it registered as 1100.
When the multiplier is changed in BIOS to 12.5 on the 8KTA+ it registers OK as 1250Mhz CPU.

Installing it in the 8KTA2 (with a CPU shim, and a little scotch tape to avoid contact between any of the exposed conductors on the face of the CPU, the shim and the heatsink) however results in it being registered as only 1200 even with the multiplier set at 12.5
This is backed up by CPUID and SiSoft Sandra once the machine has booted.

Apart from the southbridge difference the 8KTA2 has been flashed with the last known good BIOS from Epox (BIOS ID: 06/24/2002-8363-686B/B-6A6LMPA9C from the shipping BIOS which was BIOS ID: 06/13/2001-8363-686B-6A6LMPA9C) while the older 8KTA+ has BIOS ID: 11/22/2000 - 8363-686A-6A6LMPA9C, Both are Award BIOS' and both boards in fact use the same BIOS images.)

Oddly enough I pulled a 1200 Thunderbird (200FSB type) which I had also unlocked from the 8KTA2, with a multiplier of 12.5 this registers as a 1300Mhz CPU (no difference in BIOS or anything) and therefore I was kind of expecting the XP 1700 to do the same, or at least register at 1250 with a 12.5 multiplier as it did on the 8KTA+.

Any thoughts why this should happen this way?
Old 11th February, 2005, 08:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas

Wink

I strongly dubt that multiplier 2x will work. IIRC the supported range of miltipliers for AXP CPUs beginning from 5x

At least this is true for my old unlocked Barton, witch always only lock up, when tried any lover multiplier that 5x

(at the time tested with Epox 8RDA+ and in more recent bioses are these multipliers gone, so... )

As for the multiplier problems - it's likely the bios updates could fix it.

...unless your shim touched something...
Old 12th February, 2005, 09:49 AM

I insulated the all the conductors on the face of the XP before I put the shim on and installed it in the 8KTA2. I'm thinking I might pull it out and see if it still does 1250Mhz in the other motherboard. Also, there seem to be a lot of XP 1700 selling for peanuts on ebay right now, I might just get aother, simply to mess about with.
Old 12th February, 2005, 02:55 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Usually, issues with multipliers from a manually unlocked CPU are caused by "almost perfect" unlocks. Rather than starting over, work with what you have, and get the most out of of what is available.

If you want multipliers over 12.5x, you'll still have to do a socket-pin mod.
Old 19th February, 2005, 05:42 AM

Almost perfect? What do you think the problem with the unlock could be?

Tell me more about socket/Pin mods!!!! I want higher multipliers!!!! YAY!!
Old 19th February, 2005, 11:55 PM

Look at the picture in post #24 on page 2

I think this is what is being talked about. It does not change the multipliers but does allow more freedom with the FSB.

Epox 8RDA6+ Pro >>OC<<
Rig 1 MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400+, 4 gig PC6400, 3870; and then MSI K9A2 CF, 5000+; Abit Fatal1ty AN8, Opteron 185; ASRock 939Dual VSTA, 4400+; EPoX 9NPA+ Ultra, 148 Opteron; Abit KN9 SLI, 5000+;Abit UL8, 3800+; Gigabyte 754 3200+; ASUS A8N-VM CSM, 3500+, ASRock Dual Sata-2, 3200+, Abit NF7-S; DFI NFII; EPoX 8RDA6+Pro.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th February, 2005, 08:22 AM

Gahhhhh............and DOH!!

OK, so I wanted to double check that everything was well "under the hood" popped the Heatsink and fan off, pulled out the CPU...had a closer inspection and it looked a little like the conductive ink at two of the bridges had become a little brittle and flaky. Thinking that this may have been the cause for the drop from 1250Mhz in the 8KTA+ where it was first tested, and the 1200Mhz performance drop when installed in the 8KTA2 I cleaned it up and re-applied some conductive ink.
Cehcked and triple checked and alll looked well, with no continuity anywhere except where I want it.
Now back in the motherboard the CPU has booted at 1150Mhz!!!!!!!!!!!! I've dropped 50Mhz in the process!!

Wierd
Old 10th March, 2005, 12:22 AM

hello
i remember reading somewhere that you have to use a lower multi number like 9 to get it actually higher .

ianf
Old 10th March, 2005, 06:28 AM

I pulled it out again and completely cleaned up my conductive paint and re-applied.
During the course of this action I decided to give changing multiplier toggle from x5 > x12.5 to higher values.. x13.5 > x20 This invloved not just painting, but cutting and filling and all that too.....
Popped the puppy back in....no boot.
It might be a bad Mod, it might be the CPU just doesnt HAVE those multipliers, it could well be that the motherboard wont boot anything higher than x12.5 multiplier, becuase it wouldnt respond to ANY multi settings from the dip-switch.
Out again, Multiplier toggle reversed...now back up and running...it registered as an XP1900 on POST...but I've not plugged it up with a HD yet to see what I'm actually getting in terms of real Mhz....I think the XP1900 is just a dodgy identifier...its probably back in 1250Mhz land, 1300Mhz if I'm really lucky!!
Old 13th March, 2005, 09:22 PM

certain if you enable the higher multi's on chip you have select specifically lower numbers in bios upto max off 9 its something to do with it only counting seven bits ( or whatever) ianf...