AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th February, 2005, 08:44 AM

SDRAM Wierdness (Legacy salvage kit)

Is it normal for the same stick of SDRAM to be reported in the BIOS setup and also by SiSoft Sandra as "DIFFERENT" when installed in different banks?

A stick of 256Mb Crucial PC133 CL2 Non Parity SDRAM in Bank #1 is reported as 2T, 2T, 2T. this is confirmed by Sandra once I've booted to OS.
The very same stick of SDRAM however gets seen as 3T, 2T, 2T in the BIOS and Sandra see's it as 3, 3, 3. (This is with the SDRAM timing set to SPD)

If I install 2 sticks of the very same SDRAM, one in each bank, with timing set to SPD it seems that I can only get the motherboard to POST if I have the SDRAM frequency set at 100Mhz rather than 133mhz.
When the POST fails I get an error of C1 (Award BIOS - observed with POST Diagnostic PCI card) This error would appear to be Memory related. Bad SiMM

Making the timings less aggresive through "user define" or even setting them all to the lower values of CL3 SDRAM only "Sort of" helps. and I get intermittent behaviour.
Sometimes the Rig will POST to FF then seemingly hang, no HDD spin up, no boot to OS, on other occasions I just get POST fail at C1, on yet other occasions I'm seeing Operating System Error reports claiming that dll for HAL has not been loaded. Once or twice the PC has POST'ed, booted to desktop for a fraction of a second before re-booting and then it gets locked in a cycle of POST, Boot, re-boot.

However, with the SDRAM frequency at 100Mhz, the PC will POST and boot to OS even with the most aggresive timings or timings set to SPD.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Dodgy motherboard? Dodgy power supply?
Old 14th February, 2005, 05:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Which mobo?

A dodgy mobo COULD cause this, but I would be more inclined to suspect the memory until proven otherwise. Have you tried this RAM in another system?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th February, 2005, 05:22 PM

This mobo is actually an Asus A7V-E (Cheeky I know, but I asked here because there is a broad degree of overall technical knowledge.)
The SDRAM is Crucial PC133, CL2, Non Parity. I have both 256Mb and 512Mb sticks of this and apparently it should be good for this motherboard.
I have tested ALL of this SDRAM in both an Epox 8KTA2 and an 8KTA+ and it works perfectly well.
I was going to replace the older 8KTA+ with the Asus A7V-E because of the small performance gain I would get from the newer southbridge, However the way its performing now it might as well be a PC100 board. I've also noticed that the Asus has no control for onboard voltages of any kind which is kind of sucky.
Old 14th February, 2005, 05:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Ok. I've moved this thread to the AMD mobo forums, as it is a violation of our rules to discuss non-EPoX related topics in the EPoX forum.

Hmmm............I'll grant that the behavior is certainly odd. This board isn't new enough to do anything like 'dual channel'. It's not uncommon for mobos to have to relax timings to be able to use the DIMM slot furthest from the memory controller, but that generally only applies when you have 3 or 4 slots, not just 2.

Have you got a different PSU you can try? I don't really think it is the PSU, but it's something else you could try. It might just be a case of that mobo not liking that RAM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th February, 2005, 05:39 AM

Update.

Its looking like the memory type after all.
Though the Crucial PC133 CL2 runs fine in a couple of other boards it was throwing up non POST issues when the SDRAM frequency was set to the correct 133Mhz rather than 100Mhz. BUT!!! Only when there were two sticks present.
I dug out a couple of CL3 Sticks, one Kingston, the other unbranded, both PC133 CL3 256Mb.
Now the PC POST's and boots to OS at 133mhz SDRAM speed and 100Mhz FSB without problems.

Shame about the Crucial SDRAM though.