AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th February, 2005, 09:07 AM

Athlon XP-mp?

HI all!!

dose anyone know if the Xp-MP's are worth a hoot? I can pick up a 2800+ for only $100 US, and its never been OC'ed.
i am wondering if i could get a decent OC out of it and dont know much about them. dont know if it will even work on my delivered any day now Lanparty NF2 Rev B.?.
are they locked like the regular xp's?
thanks for the help!!
bri
Old 19th February, 2005, 05:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

A mobile XP is a quite nice chip (XP-M) but I don't have any experience with the XP-MPs. I would tend to expect them to be multi-locked just like the regular Athlons, but I don't know.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd February, 2005, 07:41 PM

Though I've never heard of an XP-MP (and I've recently done a fair bit of reading on XP-M's), I just received an XP-M in the mail today; pulled out my crappy 1600MP (Tyan Tiger MP board) and threw it in. It worked, but there's a few catches:

1. Due to desktop boards not supporting PowerNow! features (only really useful in laptops) the XP-M defaults to 800 MHz. To get around this, you either have to cut one of the bridges to unlock the multiplier up to 12x and you can then set mulitplier via BIOS, or you have to do the socket, pin or pcb mod to manually set the multiplier -or- you can get these things called xp-tmc's (some company makes them specifically so you don't have to mess with the cpu, socket or mobo pcb).

2. What makes these chips great for overclocking is that they have been tested & proven to run undervolted, i.e., 1.45V versus the average 1.65 of regular Athlon XPs (they also have a 1.35V 2400+, which is the one I sprung for), while still having a maximum recommended operating temperature of 95-100 C. This means that you can multiply the hell out of them, and crank up the voltage to aid that higher multiplier, and still not worry too much about heat issues.

Essentially, they're the cream of the athlon crop and the perfect overclocking cpu.

Another benefit to dual-cpu users is that they are also smp-enabled (a Godsend for me).

However, I have an issue: using the correct socket mod configuration, I tried to get my xp-m running at it's stock speed of 2 GHz (2400+) by configuring the sockets for a 15x multiplier, but for some reason, it's running at 1333 MHz, with a mulitplier of 10. I dunno.

Frankly, I'm quite happy with this processor simply for the fact that I don't have to do any cutting on the chip to enable smp capability. The reason I only had 1 1600MP running was becuase something was wrong with one or both (it was a really weird situation) that prevented the computer from detecting the hard drives if both cpus were installed, and if only one was installed, it would only properly boot if the fsb was set to 200 MHz, instead of 266MHz. The result is that instead of running 2 1600MPs at 1.4Ghz, I was running 1 at 1060MHz. It was maddening. I love this new one already just 'cause it works as intended.

Last edited by Aegis; 23rd February, 2005 at 07:50 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th February, 2005, 12:45 AM

MP is the multiprocessor version of the XP chip isn't it? It's not a mobile at all if I'm reading this right.

AOA Team fah
Old 24th February, 2005, 01:33 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yes, the MP is the multiprocessor-enabled version, although I've never been clear on what exactly is so special about the MP.
Old 24th February, 2005, 04:52 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Yes, the MP is the multiprocessor-enabled version, although I've never been clear on what exactly is so special about the MP.
More cache I think,
Or was it more CASH?!?!? hahahah
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 25th February, 2005, 10:25 AM

lol, it *was* more cash...the MPs were nothing but uncut XPs...at least this was the case when I was buying them for my TigerMP. When the first XPs were released, they worked fine in dual configurations, with the same amount of cache...256K I think --memory is fuzzy-- Then, with the advent of the Palomino core, the XPs had 1 of the bridges cut, and was thus unable to function in an smp capacity. This was also the case for the Durons.

Regarding the originating post...I don't think an "XP-MP" actually refers to any particular flavor of athlon...the "XP-M" substring is a shorthand representation of "XP-Mobile" Unless there are some dual processor laptops running around out there, I don't think the "XP-MP" designation has any practical use...especially since the SMP bridge on the XP-Ms are still intact, i.e., XP-Ms work just fine in a multiprocessor (at least dual) configuration.

I fold with Sledgehammers.
Old 25th February, 2005, 10:27 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

XP-MP's are a fabrication from trying to unlock locked procs, AFAIK.
Old 25th February, 2005, 08:31 PM

thanks for the info, but.... has anyone overclocked one of these XP "multy processors"???
i know about the mobile cpu's, and the regular XP cpu's, but i have not seen anyone overclock a factory XP-MP witch is actualy the name of the XP multi proc cpu.
bri
Old 25th February, 2005, 08:36 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

mobile -MP's are what is the fabrication. I don't think it would be possible to unlock, as the differnces in voltage bridges on the mobile and desktop parts are too great...if the bios recognizes mobile cpu's, there is good chance that you's fry the chip trying to turn it on. I learnt that the hard way with a shuttle.
Old 25th February, 2005, 11:05 PM

I'm pretty sure that, if you're talking about the very popular processor that AMD produces for SMP applications, and you're not talking about Opterons, you're referring to "Athlon MPs" If this is the case, then MPs are the same chip as XPs, except that they still have the 3rd, 4th, or 5th L5 (I think) bridge still intact whereas a regular XP does not. That being said, XPs & MPs are basically identical, and overclocking as it applies to MPs should be the same as it applies to XPs.

(I don't have time to verify this info, but searching for "athlon xp mp mod" on google should yield some relevant results. It has something to do with the L5 or L12 bridges; can't remember which, or if both.

I fold with Sledgehammers.
Old 4th March, 2005, 03:59 AM

Man, you guys are just shooting and missing.

The Athlon MP is a MultiProcessor ready CPU. AKA. Dual cpu's on one board.

They come factory unlocked. They overclock quite well actually.

I have a Athlon 1800+ MP and that would overclock up to 2100+ speeds. The reason it didn't go futher was due to poor ram and poor cpu cooling.

If you guys don't know what you're talking about, then don't type.

Quick Note: It is a Athlon MP, Not a Athlon XP MP.
Old 4th March, 2005, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis
(I don't have time to verify this info, but searching for "athlon xp mp mod" on google should yield some relevant results. It has something to do with the L5 or L12 bridges; can't remember which, or if both.
it has been verified a long time ago....

mobile barton to mp mod?

L12 mod is for FSB setting. If you want to do FSB sense mod, you can do bridge mod or wire-drop-socket mod, he.. he...
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Old 7th March, 2005, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueklown
Man, you guys are just shooting and missing.

The Athlon MP is a MultiProcessor ready CPU. AKA. Dual cpu's on one board.

They come factory unlocked. They overclock quite well actually.

I have a Athlon 1800+ MP and that would overclock up to 2100+ speeds. The reason it didn't go futher was due to poor ram and poor cpu cooling.

If you guys don't know what you're talking about, then don't type.

Quick Note: It is a Athlon MP, Not a Athlon XP MP.
thankyou!
that answere it.
bri