AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd February, 2005, 08:15 PM

XP-M Wrong Socket-mod Configuration?

I bought an XP-M, tested it once without the mod & at 200MHz fsb, to make sure it'd work at all, then I tested it at 266MHz fsb. It worked both times with the proc running at the expected default values of 600MHz & 800MHz. Then, I used this site for the socked-mod option, placing small wires in the sockets to link them. The configuration: [Socket View] [AMD Barton] [Vcore Selection] [7,50 x Systembus (15 x FSB)] [133 MHz FSB]. Since this chip can run at 2400+ using only 1.35 volts, I should theoretically be just fine without any voltage changes. However, the BIOS, Windows Sys information, and CrystalCPUID all agree; here's what they're telling me:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mjpat...derclocked.jpg

Anybody have any ideas why this thing is running 26% slower than it should be? I checked the wire-mod configuration 4 times, I'm certain this is not the problem. I haven't tested it for long, but it's running SETI just fine; no hiccups yet.

Last edited by Aegis; 23rd February, 2005 at 08:23 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd February, 2005, 10:51 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

multi's above 12.5 are not available on your board.
Old 23rd February, 2005, 11:47 PM

From the BIOS standpoint, no muliti's are allowed on this board, but isn't this the whole point of the pin/socket/pcb mod? To circumvent this & force the cpu to a higher mulitplier?

I fold with Sledgehammers.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd February, 2005, 11:53 PM

yes, but not all chipsets support multi's over 12.5, or the bios for that matter. Even tho there is not visible selecetion in bios for the multi, it is still selected, or there would be no differentiation between chips that were placed in the board. Each one would behave the same, depending on FSB, by your reasoning.
Old 24th February, 2005, 02:42 AM

I apologize; I was in a hurry to get someplace and "mis-typed" myself, if you will. What I meant when I typed "from the BIOS standpoint, no muliti's are allowed on this board" was that the BIOS doesn't allow me to change the multiplier; I didn't mean to imply that the proc *had no multiplier*. Hehe, if I didn't think multipliers were even used, I wouldn't have bothered trying to increase it.

And, for what it's worth, the source of inspiration for this endeavour of mine is here: 2cpu.com: Mobile XP CPUs in Dual Motherboards

Last edited by Aegis; 24th February, 2005 at 03:02 AM.
Old 24th February, 2005, 06:00 AM

I understood, but I just wanted to make the point clear...it's because of the bios that you cannot get higher multi's that 12.5, and sometimes the chipset, although i think i may be wrong in it being chipset related. Locking bioses from more than a 12.5 multi is jsut like them locking the multi on current A64's...just to prevent overclocking. It forces you to use the FSB, but that can be such a strain on the system that you more than likely will not get far. They opened up these options once A64's were available, mostly to get hte most they could out of an aging platform. I mean really, A64's have been out for how long now? IT's unfortunate that your kinda stuck with this, but the best i can recommend is looking for a newer or modded bios for your board.
Old 25th February, 2005, 10:12 AM

It does work.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mjpat...p-m_17mult.jpg

Since I'm a bit squeamish about putting this proc under my knife, I didn't cut the L11 bridges, so using the pin-mod guide for voltage yields unpredictable (at least by me) results. Thus, I'm using the config for 1.60V, but I ended up at 1.66V according to Tyan System Monitor (TSM). Since it seems stable, though this conclusion may be premature, I'm going to try to up the multiplier to 19. Regarding the strange behavior when I had it configured for 15x but it was only at 10x (the situation prompting my initial post), I think it can be attributed to my using too fine a wire gauge. I was using a single strand from a pair of headphones, which, to say the least, are very thin wires. I believe that one of the five requisite "jumpers" was not making proper contact.

Old 25th February, 2005, 10:19 AM

Yeah, headphone wires tend to have a coating on them, at least the best i can tell. Ever try to repair headphones? LoL.

Good to hear you go it all sorted... but what board are you using?
Old 25th February, 2005, 10:30 AM

lol, now that you mention it, I did try to repair a set of headphones...the cord was caught under my chair wheel when I stood up with them on...it ripped the cord out of one side. I tried 3 times to get them working right. I ended up buying a new pair...hehe, I should've remembered to stay away from them with this mod project.

Those screenshots, and this reply, come from this Tyan TigerMP (s2460) that I'm in the process of reviving. I ordered XP-M number 2 a couple hours ago from Newegg. If all goes well, I'll have given this thing two XP-M 2800+ (2400+s prior to overclocking) for the cost of a single Athlon MP 2800+ (according to pricewatch).

I hope all goes well.

Last edited by Aegis; 25th February, 2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 25th February, 2005, 10:43 AM

I had not heard much about tyan having recent products, and figured by your sig that it was a tyan, and that's what made me think the higher multi's were not supported. Keep us updated on how it goes..kinda curious to see how this one pans out.