AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd March, 2005, 05:17 AM

DFI Lanparty Ultra A Ultra B?

Whats the difference? Is there one? Do they have the same version of NForce Chip?
Are the Ultra A's a "stay away" board?
Old 27th March, 2005, 08:33 AM

In my opinion I would "stay away" from either one. I have regretted how pathetic those boards are overall... Just had enough with the sound problem. FSB overclocks GREAT.... but what good is it if it can't do jack nothing with sound, right? =)

To directly answer your question, the Ultra B version is the better one for FSB overclocking, especially the ones made in Taiwan I seem to have a little better luck with. Some improvements were made to the B version and has more voltage options IIRC. I remember the review of Lanparty Ultra A from hardOCP a while back..
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 27th March, 2005 at 06:41 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th March, 2005, 08:25 PM

what sound problem?
i dont have the lan party, but was considering it and i truthfully dont even know why motherboard companys even put onboard sound on the boards anymore!
for 30 bucks you can pickup a cheap soundcard that beats "most" onboard sound. also, if your using onboard sound, your using your cpu cycles, so why would you get a overclockers board and waste your cpu power on sound?
bri
Old 30th March, 2005, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian770
what sound problem?
i dont have the lan party, but was considering it and i truthfully dont even know why motherboard companys even put onboard sound on the boards anymore!
for 30 bucks you can pickup a cheap soundcard that beats "most" onboard sound. also, if your using onboard sound, your using your cpu cycles, so why would you get a overclockers board and waste your cpu power on sound?
bri
actually... that is incorrect.

i get lower bench performance with the sound card. what makes you think it takes no cpu cycles with the sound card? Realized how much system resource it takes by using the driver/software using off the sound card? SB Live?

These boards had/have too much trouble with losing sound, some also report keyboard/mouse lock up problems. Also some major problems with the Vcore voltage regulation and has issues with handling anything over 1.85v, sometimes even at 1.825v.

You have said you don't even own the board, so I would recommend you listen... you have no idea how much I've gone through.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 30th March, 2005 at 05:59 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th March, 2005, 06:34 PM

sorry, wasent cutting on you, just all the reviews i read said and showed in the test that with onboard sound turned on you lose framerates.i had the board recomended to me by quite a few folks who had them, and would have gotten it but didnt have the cash.
bri
Old 30th March, 2005, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian770
sorry, wasent cutting on you, just all the reviews i read said and showed in the test that with onboard sound turned on you lose framerates.i had the board recomended to me by quite a few folks who had them, and would have gotten it but didnt have the cash.
bri
no prob.

For benchining for highest performance disable the sound, or have no sound card. However, I don't like doing that.. I just use the onboard sound with the onboard software.

Sound card with basic windows driver isn't bad either, the whole software package is what's not needed.

I have wrote a review about Lanparty Ultra B board as well. it's in the AOA database.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
Old 30th March, 2005, 08:20 PM

Whatever....you have had problems with these boards? I would be interested in hearing more, especially any voltage regulation issues that might lead to stability problems.
I only EVER use basic soundcard + drivers, maybe onboard sound with newer motherboards that have better onboards systems. Anything more than 5.1 surround is overkill, and often I play at night and wear heaphones anyway. I have a friend who uses his PC's for music and for that he can justify hugely expensive components (mostly external anyway) but I cant see the need.
Old 30th March, 2005, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster
Whatever....you have had problems with these boards? I would be interested in hearing more, especially any voltage regulation issues that might lead to stability problems.
I only EVER use basic soundcard + drivers, maybe onboard sound with newer motherboards that have better onboards systems. Anything more than 5.1 surround is overkill, and often I play at night and wear heaphones anyway. I have a friend who uses his PC's for music and for that he can justify hugely expensive components (mostly external anyway) but I cant see the need.
yeah, a lot of problems. Whether you supercool it or not, vcore voltages of 1.85v will make your system very unstable regardless of what clock it is set to. Typical symptom is freezing up and crashes. The lower vcore you set to, the more stability you will get, even if you are at super underclock speed.

Some reported that anything over 1.825v fails in Prime95 torture tests when they are stable at lower Vcore at same total clock speeds.

Some boards lose keyboard and mouse control at over 200FSB.

Almost all of my Lanpart B boards lost sound at all clockspeeds and settings... and yet it benches quite well and FSB clock up as high as 264mhz get ultimate performance...

The board is just not dependable for "gaming". Sound keeps getting cut out and lose completely so what good is it if you get no sound? Nope.... sound card does not solve this problem at all. No matter what, sound stops. The data still has to go through the SouthBridge for processing sound. I've tried all.... no worky worky.

This board is good for "benching". That would be the best way to put.

Instead of wasting all time and effort, you might be better off getting Asus A7N8X or Abit NF7s(if you could find one). I had no issue with the sound with A7N8X boards. The good'ol Via chipset boards were the best.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 30th March, 2005 at 09:49 PM.
Old 30th March, 2005, 09:30 PM

oh and nope... cooling the MOSFETs don't do anything to solve the Vcore problem. Cooling the MOSFETs is always good thing to do but it will not solve this issue. BIOS flash? nope... tried all that. Some say that the vcore generator isn't designed for handling more than 1.85v even though the board BIOS offers upto 2.0v. Vmods don't work either, sorry

You want a reliable high Vcore, you want to get Abit NF7s. Asus ain't bad either.

This is how it goes, remember this formula:

- For Low FSBs, High total clock, High Vcore stability = Abit NF7/s (or the like)
- For High FSBs, Low total clock, Low stinky a$$ vcore and sound problems = DFI Lanparty b/ infinity.

I can't "hate" the DFI board though, I do appreciate for extreme FSB clocking and performance the board offers but it just isn't good for gaming with sound.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 30th March, 2005 at 09:47 PM.
Old 31st March, 2005, 12:29 AM

cheers for the scoop Whatever, valuable information. Have a friend getting no end of stability problems with a newly built system using A7N as a base, but a few others have no problem with that very same model. I like the NF7-S (ver2.0) but all in all I'm hoping to pick up a couple of older socket A mobo's that were once cutting edge just for spares and stuff. Thats why I've been looking at the DFI boards.
Old 31st March, 2005, 02:01 AM

One of the greatest boards I've ever played with is Abit KR7A. Great board.... Got some fantastic score with a black capped version@ 193FSB was only getting 100 3dmark points behind a souped up Nforce2 chipset at 200FSB cas222 fast decode. Vid card was GF3 Ti200 back then.

That Via chipset board had least amount of bug.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
Old 31st March, 2005, 09:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever
I have regretted how pathetic those boards are overall...
Hardly constructive critisism in my oppinion (but thats by no mean favoritism as i own the board in question) "Please", i havent had a single problem that you have meantioned (and thats not to say they dont exist)....

but to call a board "PATHETIC" that has reviews impling it as the one of the better Socket A motherboards by giving generalisations about problems "you" have ran into is hardly right.

Sorry...