AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th March, 2005, 08:59 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

I told you so!!!

Quote:
Representatives for Advanced Micro Devices confirmed on Wednesday that to support AMD Athlon 64 processors revision E will need a BIOS update. The company did not reckon any other obstacles to support the upcoming central processing units that support SSE3 technology among other advantages.

here's the best part. Yes, everyone can go dual, if you can "GO 64!".
Quote:
“There are no issues with AMD chips or NVIDIA’s chipsets. Some mainboards need a new BIOS [version] to support the new processors,” AMD’s official said.
this is why i love hypertransport. Anyone wanna buy my CPU's?

But all is not well in duallie land....
Quote:
A web-site last week published a number of news-stories in regards compatibility of the AMD Athlon 64 revision E0 with different mainboards shipping today, particularly those based on popular NVIDIA nForce3 and 4 chipsets. NVIDIA, who said there were no compatibility issues between its chipsets and AMD’s new processors, pointed out that “a couple” of mainboard makers – ABIT and EPoX products included – did not follow AMD requirements, but were still able to tackle compatibility, at least on some of their mainboards, issue with BIOS update.
Read the full story HERE ANd then check and see if your motherboard is one of those listed!
Old 29th March, 2005, 12:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Will revision E's be 754 or 939 or both?

What will be so good about them?

Will I be able to shove one of these new revision E 90nm chips on my 754 Giga-Byte K8VT800 Pro?

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th March, 2005, 05:58 PM

they will be in 754, but whether the bios support is there or not is the question. I'm hoping we will see the bioses, but that's uyp to the mobo makers.
Old 29th March, 2005, 10:55 PM
Member/Contributer

So if I get a 939 board and a Venice(this IS E right?) single core when it comes out here soon, will I be able to make it along far enough to flash the bios, or will I need another 939 proc to get that far?
Old 29th March, 2005, 11:01 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Any date yet for release?

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th March, 2005, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHouR
So if I get a 939 board and a Venice(this IS E right?) single core when it comes out here soon, will I be able to make it along far enough to flash the bios, or will I need another 939 proc to get that far?

you will need the bios flash first. the mobo will not recognize the CPU, and unlike AXP's, will not boot. Multi control is partly bios locked, from what i can tell, so support for each CPU must be written in the bios itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
Any date yet for release?
May 20th genreal public, i hear. But then again, i heard april 20th, as well as haiving seen some listed for sale in taipei april7th. I am digging right now to find out the exact date.

further research has found these ADA3x00BPBOX available april 13th ship date. I can get one now, but quantities(meaning at retailers) by the end of the month for rev E cpu's. dualcores should follow suit end of may/midjune ship.

look for ADA4000BNBOX for 1mb Rev. E, ADA3x00BPBOX for 512k cpu's. All major retialers should be listing them this week. Look for a premium of $30-$60 for these cpu's until old stock is phased out. THese FIrst Rev.E cpu's are 939 only, while the mobile turions should be showing up at about the same time, but delayed 2 weeks before you can buy a tray cpu, never mond about the bios support. Once you have a Rev. E bios, dual support should be there. The aforementioned bios problems stem from lack of dualcore support, but singlecore support is there(rumour only, on the bios issue).

Last edited by cadaveca; 29th March, 2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 29th March, 2005, 11:21 PM

Found on Extreme systems that a swedish store has prices up already, release april 26th.

LINKAGE
Old 30th March, 2005, 01:14 AM
Member/Contributer

So uhh if i were to get a single core venice and put it in a board it wouldn't work??? thats gotta be bad for business on existing 939 boards as people upgrade...
Old 30th March, 2005, 01:17 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHouR
So uhh if i were to get a single core venice and put it in a board it wouldn't work??? thats gotta be bad for business on existing 939 boards as people upgrade...

Damme good question, XeroHouR.
Old 30th March, 2005, 01:26 AM

same as me trying a sempron...will not work except with the latest bios. I have heard quite a few different vendors saying this as well. May be bad for business, but not really...just makes for a $35 service bill, or the shop does it when they install.

It's all about the bios. the hypertransport configuration is the same on the either cpu, and because this is the case, there are NO issues. It's up to the mobo manufacturer's to update the bioses regularly. And if you have a store that has old stock that does not work, then you have too much stock. Current shipping boards SHOULD have this in thier shipping bios...SHOULD. HEnce the last part of my first post.
Old 30th March, 2005, 05:06 AM
Member/Contributer

hrmm I guess I might know one person with a 939 winnie....might....