AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th April, 2005, 02:31 AM
Member/Contributer

you can buy a64 mobiles from newegg

ex. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...103-477&depa=1
Old 6th April, 2005, 02:36 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

you can buy them lots of places. LoL. i don't follow.
Old 6th April, 2005, 04:33 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
you bet. but end users are not likely to get these cpu's.
?
Old 6th April, 2005, 09:00 PM

I did this 6 month ago with my 3200+ Clawhammer 754. This helps me to clock 200MHz more with the same vcore. It's now running. Tomorrow I will post some picks of my CPU if this helps.
Old 6th April, 2005, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHouR
?
How many people go and get mobiles instead of a desktop, where you can almost guarantees stepping? i mean, there are alot of people with them, but not anywhere near the same sort of percentage as the XP-m. in the A64, mobiles are no different...not lower wattage or power comsumption, or voltage, so not many people have mobiles. pics of them may help, tho!
Old 7th April, 2005, 08:47 PM

How can I add a pic
Old 7th April, 2005, 08:49 PM

click on the "go advanced" button under the reply box, and add it as an attachment(under "additional options").
Old 7th April, 2005, 08:59 PM

ok, bad cam. if you need a special part of this cpu I can coose a different pic. I hope you can see something on it.
Old 7th April, 2005, 09:02 PM

Tis a bit blurry...hold your camera farther away and zoom in for better focus...going up close leads to blurry pics. (just figured this out myself the other day)
Old 20th January, 2006, 06:07 PM

Hello!

This thread is rather old and no new postings have been made. I am also interested in "whats the difference?" or "how does AMD sets the mutliplier?"

Any news about this?
A link to more clear pictures of 'headless' CPU's ?

Cer
Old 20th January, 2006, 07:00 PM

i have gained quite a bit of info...i'll post more on it later. there have been several successful unlock of K8 cpu's, and each instance has had the same conditions. suffice it to say that i was pretty close on how the multi is controlled.

The bios reads the CPUID string from the cpu, and this is how the max multi is set.
therefore, if you managed to change the bios properly, you could enable higher multi's that way, assuming there are no checks in place to derail this plan.

as well, it seems it might be possible to reprogram the cpu's multi via a JTAG interface that some boards support, assuming you have the software, and know which registers to program.

Programming the registers IS DOABLE...and there is a team worknig on this right now.

This has been confirmed by unlocking a few cpu's...done by using first a cpu with a higher multi than the one you wish to unlock, setting the bios with this cpu in place, and then replacing the cpu with one with a lower multi than what is set in bios. the fact that these changes can be made in this way confirms that the registers CAN BE REPROGRAMMED, given the right tools.

Using a certain motherboard,and a certain bios, this action seems to reporgram the cpu's...enabling full multi control...but also disabling x64 support at the same time, at least in 9 out of 10 cases.
Old 20th January, 2006, 11:39 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

The lock for sure isn't the BIOS, its the same as Intel in the case of A64 in that its subsurface in the layering of the FCPGA. In the substrate the hardwiring dictates either a fixed multiplier or a range.

In the case of P4 (modern) its usually 14-xx to accomodate for EIST where xx is the normal multiplier, in the case of AMD its the base ratio down to whatever can be acheived by BIOS by FID switching. Any FID switch attempt above the hardwire won't do anything so is greyed out by the BIOS as part of a basic AMD sub. This possible alteration derives from CnQ - when EPoX first made multiplier adjustment on our proto board the EP-8HDA2 it was hack of cool n quiet.

This isn't saying however that SMD manipulation or pin joining or pin to ground won't have an effect.
Old 21st January, 2006, 07:45 PM

Great news, no?

Hello!

and thank you both for the very quick answer and for reactivating this (forgotten?) thread!

What cadaveca writes sounds very promissing and if I understand it correctly it would be a pure software thing (with the correct board) or maybe you would need some kind of board-mod to do this.

However, wild_andy writes the opposite and says its hardwired in a way where you can't change the wires (am I correct here?). How do you know this? What I don't understand here is: Usually the CPU's are manufactured all the same, then they are tested and finally the max. multiplier is set. Since they produce MANY CPU's setting the max. multiplier must be a fast process. If it would be hardwired: How can they test the CPU before bonding ist (or are there different wires?). Would be a second wireing too time consuming?
To me it sounds logical if the A64 has some kind of PROM which you can burn to set the multiplier. But if I would be AMD, I wouldn't make that erasable (EPROM) so you can't change the mulitplier later (or maybe just lowering it).

Please keep posting news to this thread. I am very curious on how that lock work and on the other hand I would like to overclock mine while running the RAM at standard speed (with cheap modules).

Cer
Old 21st January, 2006, 07:52 PM

JTAG programming is like flash programming, in a way. once it's programmed, it takes a large voltage(3.3v, i think) to re-program the CPUID. this takes not only software, but a bit of hardware as well, to (hopefully) interface with the JTAG port on the motherboard. This is the most promising way, as, if ANDY is correct, they make cpu's with a max multi(proly 14x) and then program it lower if needed. However, Andy's explanation does not cover the venice core cpu's i have seen unlocked...they all have 4-25 available(but could be explained away that they use a 25 multi max pcb for the venice cores).

I could test the last theory buy going and picking up a cheap 9x or 10x multi cpu, and plopping it in my board, and seeing what happens, but i think the board responible for unlocking is only the DFI NF4(not NF432x) line.
Old 27th January, 2006, 03:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to |I.H|

Removed the Ihs from my opteron 146. all went well and no damage and cpu still works beautifully.

Seeing as i have a xp-120 right now, I just put as5 on and put ihs back on but as soon as my watercooling gear gets here, The ihs will be removed
Old 7th February, 2006, 02:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to |I.H|

was cleaning out my pc today so i thought i'd take some pics.

here you go...
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/8388/dsc001210qf.jpg
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/9009/dsc001223yl.jpg
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/7471/dsc001232fc.jpg
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/15/dsc001247yl.jpg

Pics taken on a k750i

Anyone looking to do this, Go for it, dropped my temps by 10*c Load
Old 7th February, 2006, 02:37 AM

thats odd that it droped them.mabey it exposed the temp to open air, I would actualy chek that.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th February, 2006, 02:48 AM

The change in temps realized when removing the Intergrated Heat-Spreader(IHS) can be easily determined prior to removing the IHS, by checking what the thermal offset that has been pre-programmed into the cpu by AMD. This thermal offset is what the bios reads, and either adds, or subtracts, the given value from what is reported by the on-die K8 temperature sensor before it desplays the value in bios, or with any software monitoring app.

You can check the thermal offset by using a program called CBiD, and looking under the "mobility" tab, with the subheading of "p-states". I've gone over this process with a few members here, as well as with all of my own cpu's, and have met with great success in lowering cpu temps, however i have found that hte best gains are on cpu's that have a "+" thermal offset. Each of these cpu's that i have removed the IHS from has lost the same amt of heat, measured in C, as was reported for it's thermal offset. Also keep in mind that when i do so, i replace the IHS afterwards, and am merely replacing the factory goop with Artic Silver 5.
Old 7th February, 2006, 02:52 AM

not an option for me I have water cooling and not risking direct die.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th February, 2006, 10:58 AM

Question

Quote:
This thermal offset is what the bios reads, and either adds, or subtracts, ....
Hmmm... adding an offset is something I can understand. It means the CPU is hotter that what the sensor reads due to the IHS beeing a thermal resistor. But how can a negativ offset be explained? Doesn't this mean the CPU will become hotter if you remove the IHS because the IHS accelerate the heat transfer?

Quote:
Also keep in mind that when i do so, i replace the IHS afterwards, and am merely replacing the factory goop with Artic Silver 5.
Didn't understand this either. What did you replace the IHS with? Don't you apply thermal paste anyway (on IHS or Die) and thus just removing the IHS ?