AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th February, 2006, 05:41 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cer
Hmmm... adding an offset is something I can understand. It means the CPU is hotter that what the sensor reads due to the IHS beeing a thermal resistor. But how can a negativ offset be explained? Doesn't this mean the CPU will become hotter if you remove the IHS because the IHS accelerate the heat transfer?
Yes, and no. because the IHS is attached using silicone, they have factored in the offset and TDP... becasue of that silicone, the gap between the IHS and the core will be(so they have planned for the assembly line) a certain measurement. Ergo, each core is expected to output so many watts of heat, based on this and other factors that are involved in the assembly of the cpu...the type of IHS used(polished, lapped, concave, etc), the thermal paste used betweeen the core and the IHS, the pcb used, and the surface components.

Should contact be less, or the gap larger than what is in the engineering plans, the thermal offset is given a positive value, to correct the temperature reporting due to the sensor not reading accurately.

Should the gap between the core and the IHS be less than planned, and thereby improving contact, the cpu is given a negative offset, as because of the better contact, the thermal sensor is not calibrated properly, just as when contact was less than planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cer
Didn't understand this either. What did you replace the IHS with? Don't you apply thermal paste anyway (on IHS or Die) and thus just removing the IHS ?
I am not replacing the IHS, per se, merely removing it, the thermal paste under it, and the silicone "glue" that holds the IHS on. once those three are gone, i apply AS5 to the core, mount the cpu in it's socket, place the IHS on top of the core, and then attach my heatsink of choice. so, technically, i am only removing the factory thermal paste and the silicone "glue" that holds the IHS on, and not the IHS, at least not permanently.