AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th April, 2005, 02:52 AM
Steve Jobs

Winamp + my computer = crash

I have been putting up with this for ages now, and it is finally getting to the point where i want to buy an apple or something.

My computer is stable. Very stable. I can SuperPI 32M until im blue in the face, no problems, i can run any stress test for an indefinate length of time and have no problems. But winamp kills it. If i open winamp, BAM!, reboot instantly. I finally said, bugger this im reinstalling. I reinstall, and open it. BAM, reboot again. I finally got so angry about my no winamp, and completely reinstalled XP PRO (32bit). Then i installed winamp. BAM, reboot. I got so angry at this thing that i went to the trouble of installing XP64 again, and tried it. BAM, reboot. This is enough to make me cry. I cannot get winamp to run. 2.xx runs, 3.xx runs, but whenever i run 5.xx, i get a reboot.

what, possibly can happen to make this stupid damn program kill my Athlon 64. This isnt a major problem, and to be honest no winamp isnt the end of the world, but this problem is driving me to violence. My cat is going to get it, if i cant figure out how that damn program is killing my computer.

Maybe its because winamp is owned in part (or full not sure) by AOL Time Warner.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th April, 2005, 08:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Have you tried WinAmp 4.xx? Also, when it crashes it should generate an error report. Send that to WinAmp.

Sorry this doesnt help fix it. But its just an idea.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th April, 2005, 08:18 AM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

i have been running Winamp 5.03a on XP pro 32, with an athlon64. It runs without any catches, its as stable as erm... something thats real stable?

doesnt really help, probably pee you off knowing that someone else with ahton64 and winxppro32 has it running

only major differences i see with our systems (looking at your sig) is soundcard, and OCing

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Old 5th April, 2005, 08:21 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

What's your startup and recovery settings (System Properties -> Startup and Recovery) set to, specifically the automatically restart?

Winamp itself doesn't run in kernel space, so shouldn't be able to cause your machine to reboot. That suggests that the reboot is being caused by driver that's taking exception to Winamp for some reason.
Old 5th April, 2005, 02:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Áedán's right. Winamp doesn't run with the priveleges necessary to generate a BSOD on it's own; the worst it can do is Dr. Watson. That means that it must be tickling the system in some fashion that is pissing off one of your drivers. At a guess, I'd have to suspect the sound card drivers, since that's what WinAmp does. The crashdump might contain some useful data.
Old 5th April, 2005, 02:55 PM
Steve Jobs

yea i was thinking sound drivers at first, but the thing is ive used 64 bit windows as well, which i thought would prove me right on that because it uses a very different driver set to the 32 bit audigy2 drivers. No joy. The other thing is the winamp window doesnt even display before reboot. So no sound is playing, unless winamp initialises a sound buffer before it starts or something.

I had a similar problem with my old audigy. It had the onboard IEEE1394 port (SB1934 if you subscribe) and whenever i plugged an iPod into it, instant reboot. *IT* ran winamp perfectly and still does, but whenever an iPod is plugged into its IEEE1394 port, it reboots instantly.

i enabled the BSOD (i have it on auto reboot because i hate looking at BSOD... its too depressing) and i get an IRQ error by the looks, which is garbage because the sound card is on IRQ 9 by itself. If there *were* an IRQ issue it would turn up in an EAX4.0 game or something, but it doesnt. its something that winamp 5 does, than winamp 3 and 3 dont do, and nothing else does that causes it.

The thing i cant understand is how winamp 5 can be doing anything so special that it isnt replicated by any other program.

computers suck. give my a siamese cat any day. twice the fun and half the crap.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 5th April, 2005, 03:17 PM

What error do you get? If you're getting an IRQL (IRQ Level) error, it's nothing to do with the IRQs you're thinking of - instead it's part of the I/O privilege level system that determines which drivers have sufficient privilege to talk to which bits of hardware.
Old 10th May, 2005, 06:45 PM

Hello I'm Mr. ColdFlo

Hi, I'm having the same problem. We have similar systems let's see if we can find the correlation I'll start with system specs and work around on software issues I think may be the cause. I don't think ocing is the issue, but u sure do have your GT cranked. I wish I could hit mine that hard. Maybe, u can help me with that? Regardless, I think the problem has to do with the installation of msn messenger or possibly some bug in the K8T800Pro(Im not ocing at all) and or the Sennheiser USB headset I'm using. As the ABit board has given me some driver issues dealing with my ocing/temp utility and the Sennheiser headset seems to goof up allot of sound programs. It recently has messed with my MSN messenger hardcore so that could factor in also. Anyway I can't wait to hear what u got to say about these. After this introduction I'll be willing to dive into this further. I got Winamp to fire once(I don't know y) and I think sonique 2 puts out better sound quality now anyway(I didn't use to think so, but then again this headset is nice and isn't being improved by my stereo amp either).
1GB Kingston Hyper X UL 2225
M-AUDIO Revolution 5.1
Onboard 2x160 Seagate SATA Raid 0
Sony KVHS500 1080i HDTV
ASUS Star Ice Cooler w/ Shin Etsu Themal Paste
Belkin Pure AV DVI
LCD Cheapo Monitor found in College Trash
Sennheiser Commincations Pc 155 USB Gaming Headset
Cheapo Ball Mouse and Keyboard
Sony DRU 710Cheapo CD-RW

Last edited by ColdFlo; 10th May, 2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10th May, 2005, 11:26 PM

Well I don't have any solution, but I will say that it is telling that the problem is with WInamp version 5 only. I have a version of winamp I still use on my older PCs, 2.xx something, and have never liked the newer versions at all. I suspect the problem is in Creative's drivers - and creative is not particularly swift about addressing problems any longer. Friend of mine has the 7.1 card they put out - same chip that is in the MSI boards now - and can't run EAX at all because he has to turn off sound acceleration completely, which disables EAX. There is something to try if you haven't: turn down the acceleration and see if winamp will run. If it does you can bet it is in the driver.

AOA Team fah
Old 10th May, 2005, 11:37 PM
AOA Staff

5.03 was released a few days back:

Quote:
Winamp 5.03:
* made MP4 AAC the new default ripping encoder
* fixed a crash bug when playing some AVI files in in_dshow
* added multimedia keyboard keys in global hotkeys default configuration
* added "Manual playlist advance" in Repeat button popup menu in Classic mode
* improvements in MP3 encoder configuration (added --alt-preset standard, etc...)
* made the tabs in the preferences XP correctly themed under Windows XP
* revamped the Media Library preferences a bit
* new experimental WMA9 input plugin
* gen_jumpex updates from DrO
* added "Nuke library" action in Media Library
* more upside down videos fixes
* fixed crash if a plugin generated a pledit wm_windowposchanged on shutdown
* fixed crash exploit in in_mod (thanks Peter Winter-Smith)
* fixed various crashes in in_midi when playing invalid files
* made in_midi store its settings in winamp.ini instead of the registry
* fixed error during installation on computers with chinese/oriental regional settings
* removed AOD from installer
* added Shift-R to toggle manual playlist advance
* updated VP6 video decoder to latest VP6.2 code
* fixed crash when launching winamp with very long filenames from explorer
* made registration dialog to appear in Explorer's taskbar when installing pro version
* fixed pledit/video windows showing up at startup when minimized
* modern skins updates :
- winamp modern skin now uses a 3 state repeat button: no repeat/repeat all/repeat track
- added appplication desktop toolbars capabilities for layouts, add
appbar="left|top|right|bottom" to use them
- upped maki binary version, improved stack protection
- current skin version number is 1.2 (this should not change for a long while now, and
of course we continue to support 0.8 to 1.1)
- (very) limited maki debugger (for now you can bring it up with invokeDebugger(); in a
script then use 'x' to continue and 'i' to trace into)
- fixed obscure capture problem with dragging windows
- fixed rectrgn being forced to 1 in xml xuiobject buttons that are originally imageless
- fixed hilited state not on after clicking on buttons while the mouse stays in area
- fixed scripted onEnterArea/onLeaveArea not being always correctly called while mouse
button stays down
- fixed getToken being passed NULL throwing guru
- fixed clipping of painting within the background's region of a group rather than
within the composed region (the one you can change with sysregion)
- fixed image cache problem when using the same bitmap as a map and a button image
parameter
Old 10th May, 2005, 11:41 PM
Steve Jobs

Yea, mate I know what the problem is. Winamp uses a caching system that is extremely strange to say the least. Winamp somehow forces the disk to slowly read the file bit by bit (pardon the pun) rather than just caching the whole file as it should. This leads to very inefficient disk usage.

Now a few months ago, VIA released an IDE accelerator driver for its entire range. Im sure you have installed it.

What this driver does, is say to every program, cache what you need then leave the disk alone, which dramatically improves performance. Only VIA's idea of smart caching doesnt agree with nullsofts idea of being stupid, hence the computer has a fight with itself and dies.

This is Nullsoft's fault, but they refused to solve the issue, so VIA had to rewrite the IDE accelerator to accomodate.

here is a link to the new driver that will fix your problem. It is even faster than the previous one as well. http://downloads.viaarena.com/driver...rator_V121.zip

Can someone please upload that file to AOAFiles.com for me? the network im on doesnt like zip files :\
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 11th May, 2005, 04:23 AM

Hi its Mr. ColdFlo

Burning to cd waiting ........... progress [3:34]
Thank You Dsio u =s Digital Pimp
Also if u have anytime may I ask what cooling u have on that bad mutha?
Did u do any hard mods? I know a good bit about ocing I'm just too much of a wussy to do it, and I don't have the need, and If I lose my system. Aye pobreci!!
1GB Kingston Hyper X UL 2225
M-AUDIO Revolution 5.1
Onboard 2x160 Seagate SATA Raid 0
Sony KVHS500 1080i HDTV
ASUS Star Ice Cooler w/ Shin Etsu Themal Paste
Belkin Pure AV DVI
LCD Cheapo Monitor found in College Trash
Sennheiser Commincations Pc 155 USB Gaming Headset
Cheapo Ball Mouse and Keyboard
Sony DRU 710Cheapo CD-RW
Old 11th May, 2005, 05:00 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Can someone please upload that file to AOAFiles.com for me? the network im on doesnt like zip files :\
I uploaded it for you. I'd've gone ahead and posted it to the files area, but I didn't have the foggiest idea what description to put on it, and somehow 'Via IDE accelerator v. 1.21' didn't seem to be adequate.
Old 11th May, 2005, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Yea, mate I know what the problem is. Winamp uses a caching system that is extremely strange to say the least. Winamp somehow forces the disk to slowly read the file bit by bit (pardon the pun) rather than just caching the whole file as it should. This leads to very inefficient disk usage.
Reading a file byte by byte is no big deal. That's why the OS has a disk cache, to cache parts of files that are being read! Caching the entire file wouldn't be sensible, especially for files that are multi-gigabyte in size. Not only that, but Winamp has no way of knowing that the file is complete when it starts reading it.

Quote:
What this driver does, is say to every program, cache what you need then leave the disk alone, which dramatically improves performance. Only VIA's idea of smart caching doesnt agree with nullsofts idea of being stupid, hence the computer has a fight with itself and dies.
Programs have no concept of what the disk is like. Instead, VIA's "smart caching" intercepts calls to the disk and decides what it wants to cache. As VIA's software is at the driver level, any bugs in it will cause a blue screen if they're hit. On the other hand Winamp is just a usermode program, and hence the best it can do is cause a 'This program crashed' dialog. That's a pretty big indication that VIA didn't want to tell you that there was a nasty bug in their driver!
Old 11th May, 2005, 07:42 AM
Steve Jobs

Here is a link to the program on AOAFiles.com http://files.aoaforums.com/index.php?dir=115

It is a very worthwhile download for any owner of a VIA K8 / K7 chipset, and really improves PATA / SATA / RAID performance considerably.

It also fixes the incompatability with Winamp 5.xx.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah