AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th April, 2005, 08:02 PM

New sys needs cooling

Well, i finally built my own system, with a littlehelp from my nephew. Anyways i have a good system for OCing(good?) decent then. Any way I'm now in need of some cooling if i want to OC this baby. Here is what i got k8n neo 2 platinum mobo,amd 64 athlon 3000+ cpu(socket939) and a radeon 9600xt 128mb agp card with a corsair 1gig kit xms3200 cl2 pro for mem. Also have a maxtor 160 g harddrive. I have of yet not done any OCing because i'm concerned about heat problems. Does anyone have some suggestions on water cooling for this setup? Stil have afew bucks left. Runs great at default, but would like to step it up and see where she can go. Need to keep the cost below 300$. Thanks
Old 19th April, 2005, 08:41 PM
Member/Contributer

First off don't worry about heat, those winchester cores run very cool, and 9600's are that hot, even the XT
If you are serious about water cooling then I really recomend you read up a lot on it, the best bet for a first timer is probably a kit from someone like asetek, though the best option is a diy setup, you are less likely to have issues with a kit.

You don't need watercooling to cool effectively though, a couple of good case fans, tidy wiring, and a good heatsink such as the Thermalright XP-90C with a good 92mm fan on it, and you will have a very well cooled system.

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/m...duct_xp90C.htm

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th April, 2005, 08:44 PM
xD ~HOO-RAAH
Snake Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Pacman Champion, Capture The Flag Champion, Mario Bros Pipe Panic Champion, Dirt Bike 2 Champion

Send a message via MSN to Abdul

You can still over clock the CPU with Stock cooling, at least to summat like 2.4ghz, and some people have reached respectively more. Most people hit the 2.6ghz ark with AMD 64 3000+. However i'd reccomend the Asus Star Ice for the CPU, as its at a very reasonable price and its better then a lot of water cooling kits.

However i do know of a decent cheap water cooling kit for around $100, but i cant remeber which site or make. It includes CPU, Northbridge and GPU connections.

Im sure other members will be able to tell ya more!
Old 19th April, 2005, 08:57 PM
Member/Contributer

From what I've read about the star ice it's not that great a cooler, it doesn't do badly, but it's quite noisy, and it's lso very large.
Thermalright coolers are the best air cooling available. If you want something a little cheaper (which with you looking into water cooling I can't see being true) then the Zalman CNSP7000/7700 range are also good coolers.

Water cooling isn't worth doing cheaply, the cheap kits won't be much better than average air coolersa and won't be any quieter, you need to spend a fair wod to get a good water cooling rig going, even if you go the diy aproach, for a kit you're looking over $200 for a good one.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th April, 2005, 10:13 PM
xD ~HOO-RAAH
Snake Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Pacman Champion, Capture The Flag Champion, Mario Bros Pipe Panic Champion, Dirt Bike 2 Champion

Send a message via MSN to Abdul

Thanks for that Graham. I'll keep that in Mind.

However the cooling kit i was talking about was no average one if i could just find it, it was very much decent.
Old 19th April, 2005, 10:20 PM
Member/Contributer

It wasn't a Globalwin Silent Stream was it? they're about $100 but they only cool the cpu.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th April, 2005, 07:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

You should be able to reach 2.6ghz easily with a 939 Winchester. Talk to dsio about your approach though, he has a 939 3200+ Winchester.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 20th April, 2005, 04:39 PM

Ok, first of all, thank you all for taking time to reply. It seems the school of cooling is split. I figure you guys are regular OC's and have a real life grasp of heat effects from OC a system. I was supprized that water cooling wasn't a standard for OC. All or most of the info talks of extra cooling to keep temps down, as long term heat affects from OC havn't really been studied. I just don't want to end up with a $2000 paper weight waiting for a new mobo,cpu or only Murphy knows what else. I guess what I'm really looking for is someone that has a k8n neo2 plat in use and has been OCing it. I want to learn not to burn! As the mobo can be OC in 3 modes, auto fsb, 6 presets or manual, that gives the user alot of possibilities. So if anyone has a K8N neo2 plat that they are using and OCing, drop me a line if you can. Would like to talk to you about your trials and tribs in doing so.
Old 20th April, 2005, 04:46 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

watercooling will help, but only to a certain point. Overclocking the newer Athlons is not an easy task, thanks to the intergrated memory controller. You can get the same cooling from air that you can from water, almost, but the noise for air is by far greater than it is for water. Videocards will benefit more by watercooling, currently, than CPUs, if you have a 90nm version of CPU.
Old 21st April, 2005, 02:36 AM
Member/Contributer

overclocking it's elf produces very little in terms of extra heat, it's the extra voltage used to reach the higher speeds that does it. As long as you are sensable about increasing it then you are fine. The reason water coling isn't common is because you reach a point of diminishing returns.
For example, you might take a winchester 3000+ with a good air cooler, over**** it to 2.6ghz and it still be quite cool, the heat isn't the real problem, it's just the upper limit of the cores capability. Watercooling may yield 100mhz or so more but the extra cost and complexity of a water cooling makes it not so worth while

The real need for water cooling comes from prescott and gpu overclocking, where temps can reach over 60°C with air cooling. Also those seeking a quiet solution often prefer watercooling thanks to it's increased efficiency over air cooling

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah