AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th April, 2005, 05:28 PM
Banned

i need a really cheap computer with fairly good performance. is there such a thing?

Hi there

ok i already have:

An ATX Case
Some DDR ram

Just need a PSU, HDD, CDROM drive, processor and thats it... (got a cooler and a graphics card)

Any ideas for a REALLY cheap pc? (In the UK...)

Cheers dudes

offie
Old 28th April, 2005, 05:30 PM
AOA Staff

What's your budget?
Old 28th April, 2005, 05:33 PM
Banned

anything below 80 pounds preferrably...
Old 28th April, 2005, 05:34 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

dual 370 366mhz machine, regular old sdram....
Old 28th April, 2005, 05:36 PM
AOA Staff

You didn't say if you need a mobo.
Old 28th April, 2005, 05:38 PM
Banned

sorry i do also need a mobo.

Old 28th April, 2005, 05:44 PM
AOA Staff

Cheapest mobo's I can find, from a reputable retailer/manufacturer's are here:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...Thumbnails=yes

Plenty to choose from there. Socket A would be you best bet.
Old 28th April, 2005, 05:46 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by offie
anything below 80 pounds preferrably...
80 pounds? most of the "somewhat performance" computer parts I know are gunna have to go on a strict diet if thats the case!
Old 28th April, 2005, 05:48 PM
Banned

righty... errrm.. well i just need something basically with a load of ram, (audio editing/recording) and with a decent processor... (at least a 1 ghz one id imagine..) time is very limited.. if anybody has a chance, could you just jot a few component makes/models down in a list in this post?

cheers
offie
Old 28th April, 2005, 06:01 PM
Member/Contributer

Check out ebuyer

Duron 1600 - £32.89
Pcchips KT266A - £15.49
Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 40Gb £27.22
Ebuyer 500w Power Supply £11.74
Benq 52xspeed Cd-Rom £13.18 or Lite-On 16x48 DVD-ROM £14.07

Grand total is just over £100 to get it any cheaper you will have to take to ebay

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th April, 2005, 06:39 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

good list of parts apart from the duron if you are looking to do any encoding or large scale editing....they suck at it.
I would recommend(on a budget) one of the semprons, this one is just as quick as the duron and with 256kb of cache as opposed to 64kb

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=72522

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th April, 2005, 06:43 PM
Member/Contributer

I agree, I suppose it wasn't really worth recomending the duron for the sake of 68p

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th April, 2005, 06:46 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

I dunno, thats 11 tins of baked beans or 3 cans of tesco value lager

AOA Team fah
Old 28th April, 2005, 06:47 PM
Member/Contributer

but it would mean a more expensive motherboard, £22.96 is the cheapest sempron compatable board (the cheaper ones do claim sempron compatability but only have a 266mhz fsb not the 333mhz fsb needed)

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th April, 2005, 06:49 PM

Thats true, if the budget was 150quid it would be easy.
For the amount you are looking to spend a good trawl of ebay would be an idea.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th April, 2005, 06:53 PM
Member/Contributer

You could probably find someone selling the basics from an upgrade on ebay (cpu, motherboard and memory) just be careful to price up the cost new next to what it sells for, you'll see alot of auctions end at near brand new prices, sometimes over.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 29th April, 2005, 11:50 PM

If any1 reading this is from Canada, I recomend buying hardware from NCIX.com
Old 30th April, 2005, 02:00 PM
Banned

so just to get things clear, a sempron is better than a 32bit Athlon? Or is an athlon better than a sempron? (I know Athlon 64s are better than both btw.. :P)

Also what bus speed woudl i need to look for mainboard/memory wise for a semp processor?

Cheers dudes

offie
Old 30th April, 2005, 02:33 PM
Member/Contributer

The whole sempron thing is a mixed bag at the moment. The socket A sempron is an AthlonXP Thoroughbred, the differance between the XP Barton is it's got half the L2 cache and only runs on a 333mhz fsb (so you need a 333mhz fsb capable board, though some 266mhz fsb boards claim compatability, this means they underclock them by 20%)

There are also socket 754 semprons, of which there are several versions, but none have the 64bit extensions, the first the 3100+ is 130nm 256kb L2
Recentally several more have been released from the 2600+ to the 3000+, of which there are still 2 differant variations, some are D stepping, some are E stepping and have an imporved memory controller and SSE3 support.
The differance in model numbers either means an increase in clock speed or in L2 cache, some have only 128kb L2 some have the usual 256kb

Basically the Socket A is a cheaper AthlonXP with slightly worse performance, the xxxx+ rating is not comparable to an Athlon or P4 but instead equals roughly that of a celeron
The Socket 754 chip is a much better chip, clock for clock even the 128kb L2 variants can compete with the fastest Athlon64's and Prescotts out there in 32bit and seriously trounce the Celeron D

If you are on an ultra tight budget where every £ counts then the SocketA Sempron is a good choice thanks to its low price but still half decent performance, and with one of the lower models theres still the possibility of overclocking it on a 400mhz fsb giving a decent 25% boost
If you are after a cost/performance balanced system, and don't really have any interest in64bit then the socket 754 semprons aer a great choice, the onboard memory controller means that in many cases the low L2 makes litttle differance, and with the new ones being on the 90nm process they overclock like crazy, I've got my friends 2600+ at 2.4ghz at the moment and it's his board holding it back but it still keeps up with my A64 3400+ in many things, not to mention running a good deal cooler even on the stock cooler next to my Zalman flower

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by GrahamGarside; 30th April, 2005 at 02:41 PM.