AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th July, 2005, 03:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to fatfreepork

abit and massive problems? which board?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th July, 2005, 01:46 PM

Question

nF 2 first run, is one.

Where do you get the term "Massive Problems"?
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th July, 2005, 08:45 PM

well you were comparing dfi problems with abit and asus' previous boards. the dfi, has more problems than 5 boards should have. most important thing, is it kills UTT ram.
Old 6th July, 2005, 09:09 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

lol.
sure, it kills the ram, but running high volts in the ram doesn't help much either. Anyway, looks like there is an issue with VTT fluctuations on theDFI NF4 board(HUGE ISSUE, in the tune of 25mhz on HTT), which may be part of the reason the power design differs a bit on the NF3 board when it comes to ram voltages. However, based on the info available, i'd strongly lean towards the use of newer components that are the problem with the DFI boards than anything else.

Keep in mind, of course, that it's not running at stock that ANY of the boards have issues, but when overclocked. When it comes to overclocking, a user's touch makes all the difference in the world...i mean there's a reason it's always the same top names in the benchmark circles...and they all use the components that people complain about with little-to-no issues.

Last edited by cadaveca; 6th July, 2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 6th July, 2005, 09:16 PM

Question

FatFreePork::

I don't really understand your attitude!

I have not come here to argue with anyone, nor force my personal preferences upon anyone either.

I been building systems since back in the early 1980's. The old 4mhz systems with the memory chips made in the board. That sort of stuff.

Seen all the new technologies come up, some really good, some not as good. I do know the DFI boards at present are the top of the heap.
I see they are of the highest quality of any other. If they were not, they would not OC as high as they do. Yes they do require a lot more skull practice than most any other board out there. They do reward the person that does the research and applies that knowledge better than most any other..

I take it you do not like DFI stuff, that is your priveledge, I am not gonna knock what you do like, I would appreciate it if you would cool it towards me. OK.
Thanks
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 7th July, 2005, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobyJo
FatFreePork::

I don't really understand your attitude!

I have not come here to argue with anyone, nor force my personal preferences upon anyone either.

I been building systems since back in the early 1980's. The old 4mhz systems with the memory chips made in the board. That sort of stuff.

Seen all the new technologies come up, some really good, some not as good. I do know the DFI boards at present are the top of the heap.
I see they are of the highest quality of any other. If they were not, they would not OC as high as they do. Yes they do require a lot more skull practice than most any other board out there. They do reward the person that does the research and applies that knowledge better than most any other..

I take it you do not like DFI stuff, that is your priveledge, I am not gonna knock what you do like, I would appreciate it if you would cool it towards me. OK.
Thanks
nothing taken upon you. obviously dfi is the top of the line, everybody has one. it takes a lot f work to get it working right. i prefer stable rig, over some that overclock high but don't run well. why don't i like dfi? because i had 2 of the nf2 boards overclock as good as they get, and then one day, they just started killing my hard drives, the pci lock was malfunctioning on both boards.

then the nf4, kills 2 sets of UTT ram, sata ports weren't locking, and many more hassles, so i give it away. it did overclock well the 3 days it was working right.

i usually take abit over anything, but since i chose EPoX, i came here to get some help with it.
Old 7th July, 2005, 03:47 AM

Question

OK
I just don't want any problems on the forum.

I have the Epox 9NDA3J board with the rest of what is in my sig.
Extremely easy to setup and run. Everything went super smooth, even the raid array was so easy, I could not believe it was up and running as quickly as it was.

Never had a problem with this board in any manor.
I do want the DFI nF3 Ultra D though, I will get one as soon as I sell this Epox.

All my components will work in the DFI super well. I am not a OC'ng fanatic.
I like to be able to post high scores in benchs just to be as good as the next guy.
I do not run my system at those settings day n and day out though.
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 7th July, 2005, 06:13 AM

not sure if it'll oc much better. i'd rather have a neo2
Old 7th July, 2005, 06:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

A Neo2 made by whom? Stay away from the MSI one, its a bucket of junk. Or so I have heard.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 7th July, 2005, 06:55 AM

at least use it before you judge it. its also got quite a few problems, but it oc's great and doens't destroy an other part of your computer.
Old 7th July, 2005, 01:40 PM

What are these rumours about DFI boards killin' other components?

DFI Lanparty S939 NF3 Ultra-D | AMD X2 4200 @ 2.6GHz | 1gb OCZ pc3200 rev2 TCC5 | ATI X800XT Platinum Edition| 2x120G WD | Plextor 712a | Antec SLK3700AMB| 520w OCZ PowerStream | Zalman 7000Cu

My Heatware 100% Positive
Old 7th July, 2005, 04:03 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

they are truth, unfortunately. check DFI-street, or xtremesystems.org
Old 7th July, 2005, 04:40 PM
Member/Contributer

For all you UK folk looking for this board, look no further, CPU City have it in stock!

AOA Team fah
Old 7th July, 2005, 07:03 PM
Steve Jobs

Personally, I dont buy DFI boards, because they have never suited me. I dont like the layout of their older boards, I dont like the layout of their newer boards, and I hate the names. Every single time I hear someone talk about a DFI board, and they say "Lanparty" I missread or misshear it, and think "lemonparty" which sounds very close, and puts bad thoughts in my head.

Then theres the name DFI. 90% of DFI owners dont even know what it stands for. It means Design For Inovation. What kind of crappy name is that. Sounds like an IKEA slogan.

Its like MSI, or Micro Star International. What the hell is a micro star? A star is a giant burning ball of gas, and micro means its extremely small, so basically its the same as an ignited fart.

Oh well.

I use an ABit now, and I have always bought EPoX / ABit boards. In my mind, they are virtually the same. Both companies aim for the same market segment, both do a great job, use the same BIOSes, have the same feel, similar layouts, and generally speaking you can swap between the two quite well. An 8RDA and an NF7 for instance are virtually identical.

I still wouldnt buy a DFI. Its "the overclocker's choice" and all that, but that is a contradiction really. Every overclocker has a choice. It is FAR better to stick with what you know. Its not brand favouritism, its using what you are comfortable with.

The best board on the market in the hands of someone unfamiliar with it, will never perform as well as a cheaper and lesser board in the hands of someone more experienced. Overclocking is all about just that. Its not what you have, its how you use it.

If you have owned EPoX boards, and had success with them, buy another EPoX, or get an ABit, as they are very similar. If you have liked DFIs, buy another one. If you have had an ASUS, well, god help you.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 11th July, 2005, 06:00 AM

yeah see thats what pisses me off..sorry but I'm upset man I see all these stories about people with HTT up arround 300, well with my ****ty MB and my great Venice core cpu I can only get my crap to 225, one DOT over that and it just restarts constantly, and I cant change the multiplier unless I want it lowered lol...

Is there no way to tell how good the BIOS is before you buy the MB?
Old 11th July, 2005, 07:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Personally, I dont buy DFI boards, because they have never suited me. I dont like the layout of their older boards, I dont like the layout of their newer boards, and I hate the names. Every single time I hear someone talk about a DFI board, and they say "Lanparty" I missread or misshear it, and think "lemonparty" which sounds very close, and puts bad thoughts in my head.

Then theres the name DFI. 90% of DFI owners dont even know what it stands for. It means Design For Inovation. What kind of crappy name is that. Sounds like an IKEA slogan.

Its like MSI, or Micro Star International. What the hell is a micro star? A star is a giant burning ball of gas, and micro means its extremely small, so basically its the same as an ignited fart.

Oh well.

I use an ABit now, and I have always bought EPoX / ABit boards. In my mind, they are virtually the same. Both companies aim for the same market segment, both do a great job, use the same BIOSes, have the same feel, similar layouts, and generally speaking you can swap between the two quite well. An 8RDA and an NF7 for instance are virtually identical.

I still wouldnt buy a DFI. Its "the overclocker's choice" and all that, but that is a contradiction really. Every overclocker has a choice. It is FAR better to stick with what you know. Its not brand favouritism, its using what you are comfortable with.

The best board on the market in the hands of someone unfamiliar with it, will never perform as well as a cheaper and lesser board in the hands of someone more experienced. Overclocking is all about just that. Its not what you have, its how you use it.

If you have owned EPoX boards, and had success with them, buy another EPoX, or get an ABit, as they are very similar. If you have liked DFIs, buy another one. If you have had an ASUS, well, god help you.
"Lemonparty"...GET IT AWAY, GET IT AWAY!

Mate set it as my desktop while I wasnt looking one day.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 14th July, 2005, 05:49 AM

Well I replaced my Epox 9nda3+ with a DFI Lanparty S939 NF3 Ultra-D and my X2 4200+ is working perfectly with the shipping bios. Too bad really as I did like my epox board.

DFI Lanparty S939 NF3 Ultra-D | AMD X2 4200 @ 2.6GHz | 1gb OCZ pc3200 rev2 TCC5 | ATI X800XT Platinum Edition| 2x120G WD | Plextor 712a | Antec SLK3700AMB| 520w OCZ PowerStream | Zalman 7000Cu

Old 14th July, 2005, 02:46 PM

Question

Have you did any benchs? I am interested in benchs ran with the same settings as the Epox was set to. I am interested in the increase in bench numbers. The DFI does support memroy interleaving.
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 14th July, 2005, 11:28 PM

@LBJGH

Have you figured out what are the nf3 SATA and what are the SATA via PHY?
Manual says nothing about it. If I disable these two via PHY in Bios, I disable those two next to the CPU. If I disable the other two, I disable the SATA next to the Marvel PHY. I'm confused
Old 15th July, 2005, 01:54 AM

@ gedon, sorry I'm only using IDE at the moment.