AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th June, 2005, 08:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

Worth it?

by the end of august i will be able to upgrade my system, once again. since i just bought a 6800GT agp i want to get the DFI UT LanParty nForce 3 Ultra and a s939 3000+ venice.

should i go this route or should i save some more money and build a whole new system from scratch and go with PCI-e?
Old 29th June, 2005, 12:00 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderBread
by the end of august i will be able to upgrade my system, once again. since i just bought a 6800GT agp i want to get the DFI UT LanParty nForce 3 Ultra and a s939 3000+ venice.

should i go this route or should i save some more money and build a whole new system from scratch and go with PCI-e?

If I understand AMD's road map, they'll bring out a brand new socket scheme next year. I think I'd go with your idea and wait until PCI-e is more mature before committing the extra money to it.
Old 29th June, 2005, 12:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

so you're saying that i should not upgrade at all, save and upgrade next year when the new socket types come out along with newer PCI-e cards
Old 29th June, 2005, 03:31 AM

I am in the same position. while I am thinking about 754 or 939, I hear there is a new
socket on the horizon. I have been on the 'trailing edge' for a long time and see no
need to upgrade this year. I still serf the web with a 486/100 once in a while just to
remind myself why I have the system(s) I have now. an E-Machine with a celeron 1000
at 1.3mHz.

Ron

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th June, 2005, 12:06 PM
Member/Contributer

Depends on how much you can justify for an upgrade and how much you really feel it needs upgrading. You're looking at $265 for say the venice 3000+ and DFI NF3 board for example, which would overclock nicely to ~2.8ghz

That would be aprox 50% faster than your current setup.

Now if your current setup is good enough you could hold off for the X2's to become mainstream, and go for one of those, that would give you 300% of your current processing power or more

I think I would be happy with your current cpu and go for a 1GB dual channel kit for now if the board supports dual channel, or just a 1GB dimm if it doesn't

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!