AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th July, 2005, 12:26 AM

Talking Finally! I've joined the A64 ranks!

Its been 3 years (1 year before the release and 2 years after the release) that ive been semi-patiently waiting..... well the waits OVER!

Just got done building my FX-57 rig last night (i spent 8 hours tearing the previous watercooling crap out, radiator, resevoir, and all drives, basically the only thing left in there was the PS). And then i cleaned out about 2 years worth of hidden and trapped dust.

Then i built up the K8N Neo4 Platinum with the newest water blocks from dangerden and installed the mobo, then proceeded to re-shuffle the tubing, on a side note the chipset cooler on the K8N is really, really close to the PCIe slot, so close in fact that after i had installed the water block on the chipset i then installed the X850 XT PE to see how that would line up. Well it fit, just barely, i mean i had to slightly force the card into place, the plastic housing on the card (near the back edge of card) was bowing in slightly because of the width difference, but hey no biggie as i managed to get it in there and working.

The only real installation problem i encountered was that on my old nforce2 board i had my audigy card placed high on the pci ladder, like right under my agp card slot, reason being is the water pump had to fit (underneath) the audigy card so the pump could sit at a 45 degree angle inside my case for the simple reason that the hose that comes out of the front of the pump wasnt going to be smashed (and pinched) up against the side of the door when i went to shut it. That being said, you guys know that the X850XT PE is a double wide fat boy of a card, so its taking up an extra pci slot. 'Eh i figure no big deal i think i have room to move it down 1 slot and still fit the pump in there underneath it'....... WRONG! Oh yes, it would have fit in the next slot if the new chipset block hadent been in the way. So i had to move it down even further (1 more slot), and in its place i slid the D-bracket in there so no space was wasted. Only thing is i had to, more or less, jam the pump in there, now at a 90 degree angle, and it just barely fit. The front tube comming out of the pump is just slightly bent to the side but not enough to restrict flow, which is a good thing.

So after a little leak test (about an hour's worth, i should of waited longer, they say do a 24 hour test but hey ive been waiting 3 years and im in a hurry here! ) I took the machine over to my table, hooked up all cables and crossed my fingers that all was well when i hit the power button (which shouldent of been a problem because when i bought my mobo from spatan technologies, and if you pay $10 more on your bill they will do a full battery of tests on it before they even ship it to you) so i exhaled and hit the button, POW, i was in business.

Everything was pretty straight forward, even though i hadent seen several of the new bios options, i installed the OS, then proceeded to install ALL of my apps. The funny thing here is on some of my smaller apps, when i hit the install button, and i mean right after hitting it, the load bar said 100%, just like that. I took a look at that and thought 'oh crap, something is wrong, i think i screwed up the os install somehow, the dam programs arent even loading correctly there just skipping the install and displaying 100% complete'. Well, obviously, im not used to this kind of speed so it took me a few mins, and a few more smaller programs being installed, to realize that everything was indeed fine, i had not screwed up anything during the installing of the os, they were just installing so dam fast i did not comprehend just how fast of a system i had here. Im still laughing about that one!

Anyway i still have a couple of apps to load. I havent even got around to trying any games yet (trust me i will ) so im looking forward to that. You guys are probably going to think im crazy but i still have only played 1/5th of doom and about 1/4 of HL2, just because i wanted to save them for this new system, i wanted to see them in there finest presentation, and that i will do very shortly.

P.S. For you techies, i managed to grab my part number right before i slathered it with ceramique its something like this:

CABCE 0516WPMW

Heres a few pics......

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/5926/comp2ea.jpg

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/5924/setup4qw.jpg
Chenming 601 with window|Dangerden watercooling TDX + NV-78 Nvidia VGA Block|Enermax 600W|Asus A8N-SLi Dlx|AMD Athlon64 FX-57|2x1024 Corsair XMS3500 ProSeries|1 Raptor 74G|1 Maxtor-10 300G SATA|BenQ 16X Dual DL 8X|Lite-On 16X Dual|Nvidia XTX 7900GTX|Dell Ultrasharp 2405 24" LCD|Creative X-Fi|Z-680 5.1|Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router
My Computer

Last edited by $ilent$uicide; 12th July, 2005 at 01:43 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th July, 2005, 01:22 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Nice.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th July, 2005, 04:28 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

I would like to see some overclocking please, to see if my predictions were correct. But kick ass setup non-the-less.

Nice 5.1 setup too.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 12th July, 2005, 05:22 PM

Send a message via MSN to SubaruWRX

Nice desk do you know who makes it?

and I have the same speakers
Old 12th July, 2005, 05:29 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

mmmm.....FX57....

3.2ghz on air.....

now beat my 3dmark score.
Old 12th July, 2005, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruWRX
Nice desk do you know who makes it?

and I have the same speakers
Sorry no. I bought it at office max like 4 years ago for around $100. Its been a great cheap investiment.
Chenming 601 with window|Dangerden watercooling TDX + NV-78 Nvidia VGA Block|Enermax 600W|Asus A8N-SLi Dlx|AMD Athlon64 FX-57|2x1024 Corsair XMS3500 ProSeries|1 Raptor 74G|1 Maxtor-10 300G SATA|BenQ 16X Dual DL 8X|Lite-On 16X Dual|Nvidia XTX 7900GTX|Dell Ultrasharp 2405 24" LCD|Creative X-Fi|Z-680 5.1|Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router
My Computer
Old 12th July, 2005, 05:56 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

An FX-57? One rich guy he must be. I've gotta wait until the 64X 2's come down in price. That's OK, I'm broke, anyway.
Old 17th July, 2005, 05:57 AM

Arrow Nice Pics

Clean up those wires!! A place to sit while computing would be nice
It looks like you don't do any work there it's so clean
Did you put the system together in another area?
Enough ballbreaking, nice job!
Intel 82875P Chipset
P4 478 3.0EGHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 HTT
2GB Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2 DDR 400 RAM
ATI Radeon X800XL AGP 8X 256mb
2x Samsung SP0812C SATA RAID 0 4K cluste
Toshiba TS-H92A CD-RW/DVD
Toshiba TS-H552B CD/DVDW
Viewsonic VA912b DVI/LCD Monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Sound
Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0
Windows XP Pro SP3

Old 29th July, 2005, 06:57 AM

ewwwww ati. jkjk nice rig though.

Shuttle SN26P Nforce 4 SLI
AMD Opteron Denmark 175 Dual Core
Corsair XMS 1024MB DDR PC3200XL
Evga 7800GT Copper Edition
Western Digital 250GB NCQ SATAII 16MB CACHE
NEC 3540A
Old 29th July, 2005, 08:08 AM
Steve Jobs

Z680s have to be the nicest computer 5.1 system ever made. For gaming, they are just brilliant and for music, they are almost as good as the BOSE studio speakers.

Nice choice with the FX57 plenty of grunt

Sweet machine all round. All I could suggest is replacing the 74GB raptor, which is getting a bit old now, with a second 300GB Maxtor 10 as a 600GB raid disk.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 29th July, 2005, 08:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Z680s have to be the nicest computer 5.1 system ever made. For gaming, they are just brilliant and for music, they are almost as good as the BOSE studio speakers.

Nice choice with the FX57 plenty of grunt

Sweet machine all round. All I could suggest is replacing the 74GB raptor, which is getting a bit old now, with a second 300GB Maxtor 10 as a 600GB raid disk.
Plenty of grunt? At stock speeds it is faster than most people's overclocked AMD's. Except Brad's.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 29th July, 2005, 09:24 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog
Plenty of grunt? At stock speeds it is faster than most people's overclocked AMD's. Except Brad's.
..or Pitch's...

Nice setup, but I'm puzzled why you used the DD Maze3, or is your sig wrong? Which Eheim is that and how noisy and hot does it get?

Laz.

AOA Team fah