AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st July, 2005, 04:48 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Nvidia's New Solution...56k warning.

So, here it is...
Attached Thumbnails
Nvidia's New Solution...56k warning.-picture-029.jpg   Nvidia's New Solution...56k warning.-picture-031a.jpg   Nvidia's New Solution...56k warning.-picture-032a.jpg  
Old 31st July, 2005, 05:16 AM

I'll only be covering singlecard in this thread...i'll start another later for the SLi.

For those of you wondering what happened to "NO SLi" for me, well, like my sig says, ATI took too long to deliver. nevermind a ton of problems.

I'll try to cover everything that the current top video card offers, etc, including the mods for GPU voltage and ram voltage. We've got a few cards out there clocked @ 600mhz on the gpu, and 1600mhz on the mem, both aircooled, with some added voltage. And were are talking going from 1.4 to 1.6v, on the gpu, and 2.09v on the meme to 2.25v.

Get ready for a long, bumpy ride...this DFI board is one tough beast to tame.

System config is as follows:

-ASUS Extreme N7800GTX

-VData(value adata) pc3200 CAS2.5(Winbond UTT CH-5)for good explanation, please see here for the meaning of UTT.

-AMD64 3500+ Venice core

-DFI LanParty UT nF4 UltraD

-Soundblaster Audigy2

-Thermaltake Butterfly 480w w/20-24pin adapter

I will be swapping in an ASUS A8N SLi, and an enermax "SLi Approved" 535w PSU for comparison purposes.

Last edited by cadaveca; 31st July, 2005 at 05:26 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st July, 2005, 05:24 AM

Problem #1....notice the nice hot mosfet heatsink right above the chipset fan. We won't mention the clearance....be sure to insert your card slowly or you will tip the chipset heatsink on the chip, and possibly damage your motherboard!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Nvidia's New Solution...56k warning.-picture-038.jpg   Nvidia's New Solution...56k warning.-picture-037.jpg  
Old 31st July, 2005, 05:45 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

In the name of all things holy...

How did you over-volt the GPU and Mem? Through the motherboard, or by modding it with a 10k variable resistor?

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st July, 2005, 05:52 AM

2x100ohm for gpu, 100kohm for the mem.
Old 31st July, 2005, 06:01 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

So the warranty has been voided?

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 31st July, 2005, 06:04 AM

NOt yet...i'll take pics when i do tho
Old 31st July, 2005, 07:22 AM

ok.so mounted and ready to go. cpu is an ADA3500AWBOX (ADA3500DAA4BP)

Stepping is LBBLE 0519DPHW

there is a gold "N" on one coner of the cpu.

max stable expected around 2.6 on boxed heatsink, and i have the beatle to throw on, although the orientation is odd, and maybe a Tt typhoon as well. My waterpump recently developed a crack, so i have got to get a new one. I have a 2x5x13 inch rad with half inch or 3/8th fittings, and the block has yet to be determined.

Second issue with the DFI board....no boot @ default settings on ram. ASUS board...pop it all in, fire it up, and stable as a rock. Setting up the DFI properly for 2-2-2-5-7-14-2-2-1-2 timings as shown below @ 3.2v finally got windows installed. memory does not seem to want to work @ CAS 2.5 with any bios DFI has provided that includes support for winbond chips....and this is the SPD timings. 2-2-2-8, 2-2-2-10, 2-3-2-6, 2-3-3-7, 2.5-3-3-7, 2.5-3-3-8, 2.5-4-3-9, 2.5-4-4-10 al resulted iin either instability while isntalling windows, or once it was installed and drivers loaded up. I ended up installing windows 8 times just to get it going to the point where i could ghost the drive after activating the copy of windows. Boy, isn't DFI fun....
Attached Thumbnails
Nvidia's New Solution...56k warning.-a64tweakerdfi.jpg  
Old 31st July, 2005, 08:21 PM

this area interests me. becasue of the way i have my card posistioned towards my windows, i can see the holes that are covered on every card out there buy the sticker shown.

hole go stright though PCB, like some of the fan headers. this space for a 14pin block is there for a reason....but why?
Attached Thumbnails
Nvidia's New Solution...56k warning.-picture-059.jpg  
Old 31st July, 2005, 08:32 PM

the first pic is supposedly where the gpu votlage control is. there is an IC there that i assume controls the voltage swithcing between 2d(1.2v) and 3d(1.4v) modes. with certain drivers i also get a "low power 3d mode" listing as well. other pics are of the mods out there right now. they are very different, and one is wrong.

I.C. is "ISL6592DNZ C6697.00 KR0511"

http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn9163.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Nvidia's New Solution...56k warning.-picture-069a.jpg   Nvidia's New Solution...56k warning.-7800vgpu.jpg   Nvidia's New Solution...56k warning.-7800vgpu9nq.jpg  

Last edited by cadaveca; 31st July, 2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 31st July, 2005, 08:57 PM

Based on this diagram, we sould be able to do a mod as in the second pic soemhow, but the legs are too small to solder.
Attached Thumbnails
Nvidia's New Solution...56k warning.-isl4jl.jpg   Nvidia's New Solution...56k warning.-isl4jla.jpg  
Old 31st July, 2005, 09:18 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Front Page Dave! ":O}
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 31st July, 2005, 10:07 PM

Thanks DAn.

the mod i have shown is what i beleive these other mods are doing. I already know that there are 3 voltages going to the core...2d, low power 3d, and high power 3d. For this, there should be 3 sense and three VID lines working on this intersil IC.

following the traces that are connected to the IC, VID 1, 2, &3 are connected, and connected to sense as well.

check out the attached pic.....
Attached Thumbnails
Nvidia's New Solution...56k warning.-mods.jpg  
Old 31st July, 2005, 10:16 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

I thought I would ask just in case....

Are you in need of any spare organs? if so and if I have two of what you need I will gladly swap one of them for your cards

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 31st July, 2005, 11:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
the mod i have shown is what i beleive these other mods are doing. I already know that there are 3 voltages going to the core...2d, low power 3d, and high power 3d. For this, there should be 3 sense and three VID lines working on this intersil IC.

following the traces that are connected to the IC, VID 1, 2, &3 are connected, and connected to sense as well.
You proceed from a false assumption. The number of output voltage settings that can be realized has nothing to do with the number of sense lines used. I could achieve the same results using anywhere between 2 and 6 sense lines.

The VID lines are there for the sole purpose of allowing you to set the voltage you want the thing to run.

Since we are setting to three different output voltage levels, we could theoretically do it with only two VID lines. However, doing some math from the voltages you give suggests that we would actually need VID5, VID2, VID0 for 1.2v; VID5, VID3, VID2, VID0 for 1.4v; and (assuming 1.4v is the high power 3d mode and 1.3v is the low power 3d mode) VID5, VID3, VID0 for 1.3v. Since only two lines are actually changing, you could force VID5 and VID0 on all the time, and program VID2,VID3 as needed to get the correct voltages. Of course, I am working off suppositions here based on what little data I could glean from the data sheet. I could be completely wrong.

The sense lines are there to help the controller determine when to turn off the switching stage, as well as prevent overload conditions. That being the case, the number of sense lines used depends entirely on the number of phases in the output stage.

It looks to me like what you would be wanting to do is play with the VSense +/- lines (VSENP, VSENN) instead. However, the data on Intersil's web site that I can find give precious little really useful information.
Old 31st July, 2005, 11:23 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

What he said!

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 31st July, 2005, 11:54 PM

thanks giz...info i was looking for...however the vid assignment would be bios-level mods, correct? so if i find the constant vids in the bios i can figure out the proper combo for 1.5 or 1.6v, correct? this would make sense for only the three vid lines to be going out, as they are the only ones that need to change, and the sense is maybe to verifiy which are connected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
The sense lines are there to help the controller determine when to turn off the switching stage, as well as prevent overload conditions. That being the case, the number of sense lines used depends entirely on the number of phases in the output stage.

there are 3 phases, i believe (see pic)

P.S.the first mods i showed do jsut as you say, connected to the VSENSN to ground, form the looks of the mod. where they each attach to that line is different however. how would i determine which one, and what would be the appropriate resistor rating? LOL 400ohm max?
Attached Thumbnails
Nvidia's New Solution...56k warning.-picture-071a.jpg  
Old 1st August, 2005, 12:03 AM

and why not mod the sense...if it thinks there is less voltage going to the sense, would that not increase the voltage? i'm just concerned about it increasing voltage overr all modes, when i obly want highpower 3d to be increase. 2d use is obvious, adn the low-power3d is just the transitionary level, according to an nvidia tech.

and what about vid4? is that the bios mod, maybe?

these cards are too new for much info to be out...and i want AoA @ the top of 3dmark!
Old 1st August, 2005, 03:09 AM

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/attac...chmentid=13806

is a wrong point for ground. please do not use it. currently looking fora proper spot. Gizmo, of course, is bang on.
Old 1st August, 2005, 04:25 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If you find the constant VIDs in the BIOS, you COULD change them. That assumes that the BIOS even has control of all 6 VID lines; it may be that not all of them are hooked up to control circuitry. You could tie VID4 to VID2, but that would shoot you straight to 1.77v or so, which is not what you want, I don't think.

You are correct that twiddling VSEN would cause us to change the voltage for all modes, not just the high-power mode.

However, even that might not be necessary. The chip includes an I2C interface and can be controlled by sending commands to it via the interface, from what I can gather. I might be possible to send it the appropriate commands to program it to the necessary voltage without modding the hardware, but without a manual on the controller, I can't say with any reasonable certainty.

I was wondering if U504, U505, and U506 were the switching FETs, but the picture is so blury I can't see the p/n.

You do NOT want to mess with the ISEN lines unless you really know what you are doing, because those control the current feedback mechanism. They provide feedback to the controller so that it knows how much current is being pulled through the FETs and when to turn them off, as well as whether one stage is being loaded too hard and current limiting to prevent catastrophic failure. Messing with them could drastically undermine the stability of your board even at normal voltages, much less at elevated voltages.