AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st July, 2005, 05:34 PM

rack your brains - nf7-s v.1.2 problem?

I realise you guys are in the main beyond an ancient setup like mine now (but it's high spec for me)

I've been having problems with SERIOUS instability for 2 weeks now - and I'd like to see the back of it to get my games/PVRvideo-PC sorted and running thru my new telly. I promise I'll only OC it slightly and leave it alone after that!

SO, the system:

athlon XP-m (2200) (IQYHA i seem to remember - hard to check as it's under a bloomin great fan)
abit nf7-s v1.2 (running update 28 of abit BIOS)
2x crucial 256mb DDR400
G4MX440
450w stock PSU

I'm running XP - I know, but all my software runs on it - if anyone tells me that there's a LINUX that'll run all my windows software, I'll switch

It's been up and running stable at 2ghz for over a month. I've been surfing, playing golf and folding for T45 - not much else

THE PROBLEM:
It hangs. I've switched off BSOD supressant in XP and BOY do i see it a lot now! (before it was just resetting)
This started two weeks ago today - my HD became corrupted & i've Fdisked and reformatted several times to get XP back properly
I've investigated and found that it could be down to my memory, so I've tried memtest86 and found one of my sticks to be faulty - I have since removed this, but still crashing
I looked into settings and found that my mobo does not support my FSB very well - so I've reduced from 200x10 to 166x12 which worked for half a day, then back to crashing.
I installed a system display thingy and found the voltages to be relatively stable even under load and the temepratures decent (37c) - go Akasa carnival!
I've increased the vcore coltage by .05v. no joy
The RAM settings are a very relaxed 3-3-3-8

Between each stage I've clean reformatted and installed so as to try to isolate my problem, but still poo!

So - I feel that one of the following components is letting me down:
CPU
PSU
Mobo
GPU?

I know that you out there have been here and moved on, but a glimpse into the past of your memories would be most appreciated

rig: a7n8x-x, Xp-m 2200 , 3/4 gig mem, fx5200, akasa carnival - 46c stable,

cheers once more to rondog

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Streethawk; 1st August, 2005 at 11:35 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st July, 2005, 05:41 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

What BSOD errors do you get?
Old 31st July, 2005, 06:39 PM
Member/Contributer

I had to replace the chipset fan on a firends NF7-M the other day. One of the blades had broken and the fan was getting jammed in the enclosure. The sysmtoms sound similar to yours, the PC worked great a year, then upon starting the PC it seemed to work fine for 3-5min then everything would freeze and it would restart. As soon as the chipset heated up again the process was repeated, but this time it took 1-2 min and so on.
So, have a look at the NB and SB chipset cooling.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st August, 2005, 06:40 PM

well, i don't know where the SB is on the v1.2!
The NB (assuming that's what it is anyway) fan is ok

AOA Team fah
Old 1st August, 2005, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
What BSOD errors do you get?
right, well i've run the bugger for two days trying to spot a crash and failed all round

btw, did i mention that zonealarm has frozen the internet out on that machine too! (and on this one it's not working because it wants to revert to my old dial-up connection, but that's another problem for another day (i run sygate on here but it crashes constantly, leaving me without a firewall - gulp))

i ran simcity for 8 hours and it eventually crashed - but not to the bsod

tonight I left jacky Chan's "Drunken Master" running, came back and found it had reset.

the best i can do at the moment is to show the event log since i last formatted:

27 July 2005 W32Time Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

27 July 2005 W32Time The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

27 July 2005 System Error Error code 1000000a, parameter1 b0000000, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 804dc6cc.

28 July 2005 System Error Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 f6395c18, parameter4 00000000.

30 July 2005 System Error Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf80f133, parameter3 f6b7dc98, parameter4 00000000.

01 August 2005 Winlogon A critical system process, C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe, failed with status code c0000005. The machine must now be restarted.

there are hundreds of these:
01 August 2005 atapi The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.
and these:
01 August 2005 Cdrom The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

if there are other logs i should investigate - let me know - PLEASE!

AOA Team fah
Old 1st August, 2005, 10:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The 0x0x and 0x8e stop codes, as well as the IDE and CDRom errors definitely seem to indicate a serious hardware problem.

Did you buy this board new and simply have it sitting around a while, or did you buy it used from someone?
Old 1st August, 2005, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
The 0x0x and 0x8e stop codes, as well as the IDE and CDRom errors definitely seem to indicate a serious hardware problem.

Did you buy this board new and simply have it sitting around a while, or did you buy it used from someone?
Hi again Gizmo

It was a second-hand jobbie from ebay :| - £30 and it wouldn't get past post for ages - finally got it sorted somehow - don't know how! It ran for 6 weeks without a fault, now all this trouble...

when it wouldn't work the man sent me a refund on ebay, then it started working but I couldn't find the user anymore to tell him! so effectively, the board was free and if it turns out to be that I'd be ok with it as there's no cost but the p&p and I can sort another pretty quickly. Choosing onem that's a different matter

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd August, 2005, 12:57 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Take a look on the board and see if any of the capacitors are bulging or having any discoloration like brown or red junk around the bottoms or coming out of the tops. I'm betting that they are.
Old 2nd August, 2005, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Take a look on the board and see if any of the capacitors are bulging or having any discoloration like brown or red junk around the bottoms or coming out of the tops. I'm betting that they are.
Thanks for your faith (in recognising what a capacitor looks like that is!)

... (a small time later)

We're talking about the round 'pot' shaped things here, right?' - none of them appear anything different from the ordinary, but that's with the board in situ and I can't see the bottoms of any of them. I may take it apart more this evening after work... could there be an associated/similar PSU problem?

i left it checking my disk last night and woke up to:
"STOP c000021A {fatal system error}
The windows logon process terminated unexpectedly with a status o
f 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shut down"

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd August, 2005, 09:14 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

sounds like your board is borked...im planing on upgrading my comp soon,within the next few weeks, and i could sell you my mboard
Old 2nd August, 2005, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderBread
sounds like your board is borked...im planing on upgrading my comp soon,within the next few weeks, and i could sell you my mboard
borked - is that a technical word?

hmm, dunno what you'd be looking for or what the board is, bet i'd bet that it'd be uneconomical to send it to the UK!

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd August, 2005, 03:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streethawk
We're talking about the round 'pot' shaped things here, right?' - none of them appear anything different from the ordinary, but that's with the board in situ and I can't see the bottoms of any of them. I may take it apart more this evening after work... could there be an associated/similar PSU problem?
Yeah, they look like little aluminum cans, and the top will usually have a 'Y' or 'X' stamped into the aluminum as a strain-relief.

Yes, it is possible it could be a PSU problem also.
Old 2nd August, 2005, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah, they look like little aluminum cans, and the top will usually have a 'Y' or 'X' stamped into the aluminum as a strain-relief.

Yes, it is possible it could be a PSU problem also.
well, i suppose i'll have to take the thing to bits and have a look... shame i haven't a spare psu about or i'd try that for a day or two first...

maybe i could blag one at work... worth a try - i'll email myself

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd August, 2005, 07:02 PM

managed to blag a psu of a mate at work, so i'll try that tonight...

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd August, 2005, 11:42 PM

well i tried this old borrowed psu but no joy at all. same error as before (c00...00021a.etc.)
so to quote elwood: "i guess you're up ****** creek)

i'm on the lookout for a new mobo then any offers? any advice?

AOA Team fah