AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th August, 2005, 11:04 PM

Athlon MoBo again!

So my NF7s-v.1.2 went t1ts-up leaving me with an expensive doorstop...

I want a a new mobo and have a shortlist of several - any opinions?

rest of setup = XP-m 2200, 2x256 DDR400 Crucial, etc as per sig (see below) -

mobo needs onboard sound...

Shortlist:
MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum
MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR (haven't spotted the difference yet)
Asus A7N8X-X
Asus A7V880
Abit NF7-S2G nForce2 Ultra 400

I'll be doing some mild-middling overclocking and using the setup for a PVR and (relatively low-end) games machine

rig: a7n8x-x, Xp-m 2200 , 3/4 gig mem, fx5200, akasa carnival - 46c stable,

cheers once more to rondog

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th August, 2005, 04:54 AM

I would grab the ABIT or spring for a DFI Ultra Lanparty II - I'm not happy with my ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe board, and I have have had problems with MSI ever since the Athlon processor first came out.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th August, 2005, 07:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

Haven't looked into an EPoX? 'Tis a shame. Well, it looks like you live in the UK so just use the links for reference and find it at a UK website. Try a DFI LanParty UT Ultra-B if you have the cash, otherwise just choose the board that suits your purposes out of that list you have there. And be sure to add this or this as one of your options. Best of luck to ya and my deepest sympathies to your Abit.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 9th August, 2005, 08:04 AM

I have an A7N8X... It is one of the most solid boards i have owned in the past 6 years... buy it... buy it now....

Notice to signature reader: The entire physical universe, including
this signature, may one day collapse back into an infinitesimally
small space. Should another universe subsequently re-emerge,
the existence of this signature in that universe cannot be guaranteed.

Old 9th August, 2005, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolanenwindrift
I would grab the ABIT or spring for a DFI Ultra Lanparty II - I'm not happy with my ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe board, and I have have had problems with MSI ever since the Athlon processor first came out.
what makes you unhappy with it? (the Asus)

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Streethawk; 9th August, 2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old 9th August, 2005, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile69
Haven't looked into an EPoX? 'Tis a shame. Well, it looks like you live in the UK so just use the links for reference and find it at a UK website. Try a DFI LanParty UT Ultra-B if you have the cash, otherwise just choose the board that suits your purposes out of that list you have there. And be sure to add this or this as one of your options. Best of luck to ya and my deepest sympathies to your Abit.
I hadn't included them due to appearing to be outside my budget! There is such a range of them and the numbers & stuff don't seem to make any sense

I have seen that a lot of people must be using them, but mainly because so many ppl on here complaining about faults with them! - I assume that is because of the sheer number of them?

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Streethawk; 9th August, 2005 at 08:32 AM.
Old 9th August, 2005, 09:33 AM

Nah, every board has problems. The fact that this forum site has an EPoX help section boosts the number of potential problems you'll see happening. I'd suggest an EPoX though. Either the nice one, or the el cheapo version of it. I think you'll be very happy shelling out a few extra pounds and get this, and if you do have any problems, we'll be here along with EPoX tech support to solve them.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 9th August, 2005, 09:49 AM

This one Abit NF7-S2G nForce2 Ultra 400 is a newer and unfortunatelly much worse version of old, good NF7-S, so plz don't buy it. The 'G' indicates that it has got an integrated graphic card, doesn't it?
If you happen to get NF7 or NF7-S by any chance, I think you wouldn't regret it. From what I've heard from some friends of mine Asus is ok, if you're not planning any hardcore overclocking
Old 9th August, 2005, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streethawk
So my NF7s-v.1.2 went t1ts-up leaving me with an expensive doorstop...

I want a a new mobo and have a shortlist of several - any opinions?

rest of setup = XP-m 2200, 2x256 DDR400 Crucial, etc as per sig (see below) -

mobo needs onboard sound...

Shortlist:
MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum
MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR (haven't spotted the difference yet)
Asus A7N8X-X
Asus A7V880
Abit NF7-S2G nForce2 Ultra 400

I'll be doing some mild-middling overclocking and using the setup for a PVR and (relatively low-end) games machine
Quote:
Originally Posted by MietmaN
If you happen to get NF7 or NF7-S by any chance, I think you wouldn't regret it. From what I've heard from some friends of mine Asus is ok, if you're not planning any hardcore overclocking.
Well, it looks like he's already had an NF7s..so I think he'd know how that was. I think he should go with an EPoX seeing as how AOA has an EPoX help section not to mention the fact that they make great boards and the 8RDA6+ Pro is awesome.

AOA Team fah

Old 9th August, 2005, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Well, it looks like he's already had an NF7s..so I think he'd know how that was. I think he should go with an EPoX seeing as how AOA has an EPoX help section not to mention the fact that they make great boards and the 8RDA6+ Pro is awesome.
well, I'd consider an EPoX if it weren't that everyone recommends the highest spec boards, which I can't afford! How are the cheaper ones?

AOA Team fah
Old 10th August, 2005, 09:31 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Yes, indeed, he has already had one, but v1.2 with older nF2 chipset (without FSB200/400 official support) and much worse OC capabilities. If he happens to get one, it will be v2.0, one of the best overclockers' MB ever released.

@ Streethawk :
8RDA+ PRO is fine, but don't expect miracles while OCing - I'm not into prices at the moment, but it used to be much cheaper than the nF2 flagship 8RDA6+ PRO.
Old 10th August, 2005, 01:01 PM

The 8RDA6+ Pro is around the same price as the AN7 and the NF7-S V2. As far as overclocking I've seen some decent results with the 8RDA6+ Pro motherboards as well as the NF7-S V2, but I haven't had either personally so I can't really say.

AOA Team fah

Old 11th August, 2005, 11:37 PM

Quote:
The 8RDA6+ Pro is around the same price as the AN7 and the NF7-S V2. As far as overclocking I've seen some decent results with the 8RDA6+ Pro motherboards as well as the NF7-S V2, but I haven't had either personally so I can't really say.
well i've taken a segment out of my day and looked everywhere for an 8rda6 in the uk and only drawn a blank - having looked further into the pros and cons of an nf7s (v2) and think i'd better get away from something that is susceptable to power fluctuations and can be a bit awkward that way...

so i think i'll have to go with the a7n8x. no one says anything particularly upsetting about about it and i can get one for £42 delivered!
the x-x seems to go to 400fsb and has all the requisite audio, dual channel memory etc... i hope its not hard to OC & alter voltages... (only up to 2.4 ghz mind you - i'm only air cooled)

AOA Team fah
Old 11th August, 2005, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streethawk
well i've taken a segment out of my day and looked everywhere for an 8rda6 in the uk and only drawn a blank - having looked further into the pros and cons of an nf7s (v2) and think i'd better get away from something that is susceptable to power fluctuations and can be a bit awkward that way...

so i think i'll have to go with the a7n8x. no one says anything particularly upsetting about about it and i can get one for £42 delivered!
the x-x seems to go to 400fsb and has all the requisite audio, dual channel memory etc... i hope its not hard to OC & alter voltages... (only up to 2.4 ghz mind you - i'm only air cooled)

I still got my old a7n8x deluxe 2.0 - not had any issues with it
Old 11th August, 2005, 11:57 PM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

Don't touch the Abit nf7-2sg they are the worst overclocker I have ever seen!! Get an Abit AN7 but no 11x or 11.5x multiplier? Don't know why 10x 10.5x 12x and up work.
On my 2000+ I get stable 212Mhz FSB on 10.5x
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah