AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th August, 2005, 05:31 PM

update: my asus board crashes after fan install...

Hey guys, took your advice and got a thermaltake cpu cooler, and the power supply will be in shortly. I installed the thermaltake cooler, turned back on the computer...and well, everything starts up, and runs, the asus screen comes up, but then the computer is frozen. It says hit "del to enter setup", and if i hit delete before it freezes it says "enter setup", but freezes there. Now, seeing as how I'm a noob at this, perhaps you guys have a few easy fix solutions like perhaps pulling the battery or resetting or something. Perhaps you could explain to me how to do these things....i don't imagine it could be too big a deal as everything seems to be running smoothly inside.....

HEEEEEElp!

Jason

asus a8n sli
athlon 64 3000+ winchester
1 gig ram
bfg 6800 ultra
new thermaltake big typhoon
420w power supply (for now)
creative sound blaster 24bit sound card
Old 12th August, 2005, 06:18 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

take everything apart, start over, and try again. start with just mobo, cpu, and ram, then add components.
Old 12th August, 2005, 06:33 PM

already done! twice !! =) Everything checks out, all fans work.... i even took the motherboard out completely to look for any inconsitencies.... like i said, it boots, just freezes before i can enter the bios.... thanks though!

J
Old 12th August, 2005, 07:11 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, Jasovanni!

Are you sure that the Heat-Sink Fan unit (HSF)was installed with a uniform paper thin layer of thermal paste? If the Thermaltake unit comes with phase-change material("bubble gum" lozenge) on the bottom of the HSF, please disregard my blah-blah on thermal paste. Is the HSF installed so that it's perfectly mated with the processor? They need to be real close friends, in a manner of speaking.

Is the BIOS set to use Setup Defaults?

When going for that all important first POST(Power On Self Test), it's best to have only the CPU, Vidcard and one stick of RAM on the mainboard.

Please keep us posted!
Old 12th August, 2005, 07:22 PM

shouldn't it be able to start up even without a cooler on the chip, long enough for it to access the bios.....

i fear i may have damaged somthing on the motherboard or something....I dunno, cuz all I did was install a fan, that really shouldn't cause the computer to freeze.....

secondly if I do swap for a new a8n sli, can i just plug and play? or do I needa wipe the hd again?

thanks!

Jason
Old 14th August, 2005, 08:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If you don't have a cooler on the chip, it should go into thermal shutdown PDQ. Depending on how it is implemented, that could manifest as either the computer 'freezing' or some kind of siren or alarm and no video.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th August, 2005, 08:41 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Make sure to clear cmos as well. chances are it's something silly.

pics of the system may help.

where are the fans plugged in? I am not using the default fan, and do not plug a power line into any fan header if i can help it.

Are you using 20 or 24pin PSU?

Did you plug in ALL the power connectors?

make sure that you disconnect the power before changing any components, right?

honestly, hte only time i have ever had an issue such as yours, it was improper thermal paste application, or once, it was becasue the heatsink was tightened down too tight to the board, and this warped the board...casueing the ram to not seat properly.

anyway, make sure to try with only one stick of ram, and a minumum of fans plugged in, while the case side is off.
Old 15th August, 2005, 03:08 PM

Yes, thats right, I feel stupid now. The issue: Power cord leading to front of case and cdrom drive. Plugged it in, and poof, working computer, running at a cozy 37c too might I add. So, props for the "prolly something silly" diagnosis, and thanks for all your input!

Jason