AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th August, 2005, 12:45 PM

Unhappy AV8 IDE problem after flashing BIOS

Hi all.

Today I put a new system together for a friend with the following spec.

Abit AV8 VIA K8T800 Pro mainboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ CPU
2GB PC3200 Geil RAM
ATi 9600XT VGA card
M-Audio Delta1010 soundcard
465W Ennermax PSU
2 120GB Hard Drives on IDE1
2 Optical drives on IDE2
1 Floppy drive

I booted the system fine.
I checked the BIOS and noticed that the multi-core CPU was not being properly detected.
In the Mu Guru section it said 'Hammer family - name not known' or similar.
Since the timings were OK for the CPU I thought I'd leave it a while.

The hard drives were from an older system.
They had several partitions and the system partition (C had been backed up.

I formatted C: and installed WinXP Pro with no problems.
I installed SP1 and all the drivers that came with the motherboard (re-booting several times in the process).
I installed the graphics card drivers.

I installed one or two applications (Firefox for instance).

Everything seemed to be going fine.

Then I remembered that the CPU wasn't being properly recognised by the BIOS so I decided to flash it from 1.9 (which the board shipped with) to the latest BIOS for the board (2.4).

Immediately after the flashing process had completed I switched off the PC, disconnected the power cable and cleared the CMOS as directed on the Abit website.

I booted the machine and had a look in the BIOS.
In the Mu Guru section I was pleased to see that the CPU was now correctly identified.

I then noticed that no hard drives were being detected by the system - which was odd, as they were working fine before the flash.

The optical devices were also undetected.
However - if I went into the 'auto detect' section of the BIOS I could get the optical devices to show up.
This didn't work for the hard drives though

On re-booting the BIOS didn't seem to remember that the optical devices existed, although it saved all my other settings.

I tried unplugging the hard drives from IDE1 and putting the optical devices in there instead. The BIOS would now auto-detect them, remember they existed on rebooting and booted Knoppix (Linux live CD) fine from one of the optical drives.

I thought maybe the hard drive cable was the problem so swapped it for another. No difference

I checked the jumper setting on the hard drives - they were OK.

The floppy drive was working fine so I re-flashed the BIOS to 2.4 again with the same results.

Next I tried flashing to 2.2 - a slightly older BIOS. The same problem occurred.

I haven't tried flashing back to 1.9 yet as I don't want to remove the multi-core CPU support for obvious reasons (although this configuration was working).

Has anybody encountered this problem or does anyone have any idea on what could be wrong or how to solve it?

Many thanks for your help.
Old 14th August, 2005, 04:05 PM

Try setting the hard drrives on each cable: like
IDE1: Mobo -> Optical Drive 2 (Slave) -> IDE HDD 1 (Master)
IDE2: Mobo -> Optical Drive 1 (Slave) -> IDE HDD 2 (Master)
Even if it dont worl this is the best solution anyway, you use your HDD's all the time, but you dont use the optical drives that much, i only use my mine very rarely...

1 = Primary, 2 = Secondary - if they are in raid (you are very stupid using same cable) it should be Drive 1 -> HDD 1 and Drive 2 -> HDD 2

Else you can try enableing it in the bois (somewhere) - Boot-row maybie.

Look in the manual for answers, my AV8 have'nt arrived yet, but have still only heard good things about it...

Last edited by Mr.Don; 14th August, 2005 at 05:32 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th August, 2005, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the reply Mr Don.

I've done a little more research and testing.

After trying various combinations I realised that it was one hard drive throwing the whole system off.

Whenever the Western Digital (JB series) 60GB drive was connected IDE device detection on both channels seemed to go haywire (as described in my first post).

After trying the 2.2 BIOS and 2.1 BIOS I rolled back to the 1.9 BIOS and everything was fine (apart from the aforementioned multiprocessor support).

The system seems to be working right now - although probably sub-optimally as it's not running with the latest BIOS which has multi core CPU support.

It seems that the BIOS revisions after 1.9 are incompatible with the Western Digital 60GB JB hard drive I hope Abit release a BIOS that fixes this problem soon.
Old 15th August, 2005, 09:49 PM

That dont seem logic to me at all, maybie something is dis/en-abled in the 1.9 where it is the opposite at the later bioses...

Its just to bad the old bios'es isn't that good overclocking with.. (am i told by dsio)

Hope i dont have probs with Sata disks, after that i just have ordered two Samsung Spinpoint 160GB SataII (reversecombitable).

Good luck optimising the system...