AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st August, 2005, 12:32 AM

Question Help! Anyone! please. amd3500+newcastle

Ok so ive searched for over a week now in many different sites and tried ten different ways to OC my cpu. and a couple of the settings i couldnt find in Bios. first i was suggested that i lock agp/pci but i cant lock it. secound i cant get a mutli on HT just got a volt setting for HT.

Ive increase the multiplier and decreased it. and i increased and decreased htt speed. and most i can get is clock speed 201 and multi of 13. but it does nothin past start up. bios saves the settings but nothin more happens in windows. i use cpu-z to check the speeds aswell as pc info in windows.

my system is
GA-K8NSNXP-939
amd64 3500+ newcastle ( zalman CNPS7700-AlCu ultra quiet heatsink/fan)
corsair 1gb( dual channel)
5900xt Geforce (zalman vga pipes and fan)

any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by MeT_Badger; 24th August, 2005 at 12:56 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st August, 2005, 12:50 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, MeT_Badger!
Anyone know the in's and out's of this Giga-Byte GA-K8NSNXP-939 mainboard?
Old 22nd August, 2005, 03:32 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Hi MeT_Badger, don't you have these Bios options: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=1639&page=4 ?
Lock AGP freq at 66 and try to lower the HT multi and after try to raise what you want.
Cheers!
Old 22nd August, 2005, 05:45 PM

Loosen up memory timings man, tight memory keeps any processor from overclocking! Just something worth checking.....=)

J
Old 22nd August, 2005, 06:55 PM

Reply to Hoinar::
Those seem similar

But i have left the agp @ 66 and tweaked the others
i can go up in my multi but it does nothinin i go down it resets or does nothin
the volts same deal i move them and reset
and clock ratio ive ben able to go up 203 b4 it didnt reset.
and i have saved them everytime.

Oh btw thats anice site you found i googled idk how many times and never found it.

Last edited by MeT_Badger; 22nd August, 2005 at 07:09 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd August, 2005, 07:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

Hold Ctrl and press F1 in the BIOS. This will open up advanced options on Giga-byte motherboards.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1

Last edited by Exile69; 23rd August, 2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 23rd August, 2005, 09:21 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeT_Badger
Reply to Hoinar::
Those seem similar

But i have left the agp @ 66 and tweaked the others
i can go up in my multi but it does nothinin i go down it resets or does nothin
the volts same deal i move them and reset
and clock ratio ive ben able to go up 203 b4 it didnt reset.
and i have saved them everytime.

Oh btw thats anice site you found i googled idk how many times and never found it.
Mate...I think you need to lower the multis if you want to raise your FSB freqs.
Old 23rd August, 2005, 10:53 PM

Okay first off, take a deep breath and relax....
Now that you have refreshed your mind you will gain a comprehension of what is needed to be done.

The first step to a successful overclock is to only do one thing at a time except for your memory and cpu. They should always be clocked at a 1:1 ratio. In other words: Based on a AMD 3500 (400fsb)

CPU FSB 200 Memory 200, CPU 201 Memory 201, CPU 202 Memory 202, etcetera. Generally, you can start out with a 2% (204 /204) increase on both memory and cpu. Once you hit the maximum fsb on both memory and cpu ( instability will occur) begin to decrement by 1FSB on cpu and memory. Continue to do so until your system becomes stable.

You should run a prgram called CPU-z. CPU-z 1.30 version

and/or Prime 95 or 2004 (winxp) located at Prime 95 / WinXP2004

Let it run its course for about 1 hour the first time and check your system temps and stability, then 2 hours, then 4 hours, then 12 hours, and finally 24 hours. Each time recheck your stability. If all comes back as good. Then you have probably hit the sweet spot.
Temperature is your biggest enemy. Never let your CPU exceed 50 degrees celcius. In fact the lower the temp the more stable your system will be.

Now there are other considerations to consider.
Your memory, is it overclockable? Does it have heat sinks? Does it have adequate ventilation?
Your CPU, is it free from air obstruction supply and exhaust? Is the heat sink a high quality one? Is the thermal paste of good quality?

Gigabytes are (usually) okay to run at overclocking speeds but for everything I have heard and seen, are not an overclockers choice of boards. ASUS, DFI, ABIT are among the best boards to O/Cing.
Give this a try before you do anything else. As mentioned earlier, AGP should be a default at 66 but if it is not, then put it to 66. BTW, fyi, AGP can safely be put at 75 and 99% of the time, there is no problem.
Well l hope this helps ya some.
Dual Channel
AMD 4800 64 Venice Processor
(4) Sata Seagate 160 gig Drives (raid array)
(1) Maxtor External 120 gig USB 2.0
SoundBlaster X-fi Platinum
Bose Desktop companions with Sub Woofer
Koolance PC3 Case (all hardware water/gylcol cooled)
Temps: Unloaded 93 (F) Loaded 101 (F)
Samsung Cd-R/RW 52x24x52
Memorex DVD-R/RW 8X
WinXP SP2

Last edited by SkyDiver; 23rd August, 2005 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Typos of course
Old 24th August, 2005, 12:55 AM

Thx Sky diver. my cpu used to run at a normal temp of 55c. and my ram does have good ventilation and heatsinks. i think i got same mem as you just 1gb. but right now at idle my temp is 45c with the new heatsink.
Old 25th August, 2005, 12:08 AM
Member/Contributer

maybe I've missed something here, how did you get a multiplier of 13? I have the same CPU and the multis available are 11 and below. That could be your problem!? Can you select 8x say and boot with the HTT at 200 with your memory running on AUTO settings?

AOA Team fah
Old 25th August, 2005, 12:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgoat
maybe I've missed something here, how did you get a multiplier of 13? I have the same CPU and the multis available are 11 and below. That could be your problem!? Can you select 8x say and boot with the HTT at 200 with your memory running on AUTO settings?
Maybe he has an FX57 and doesnt realise it?

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64