AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd August, 2005, 02:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

S754 Sempron VS S754 Athlon 64 VS Athlon Xp-M

OK. Currently updating my home server and secondary 24/7 F@H machine. And im curious. Which will give me the better performance.

A S754 64bit Sempron 3000+ - overclocked to 2.1-2.2ghz. $140

A S754 Athlon 64 2800+ - overclocked to 2.1-2.2ghz. $185

An Athlon XP-M 2600+, Coolermaster Aero 7+ and Epox 8RDA3+ overclocked to 2.5ghz possibly higher. $250.

Which of these will give me better performance with F@H runing at 80%-90%. And the other 10%-20% used for fileserving etc. It is only a little home server and will occasionally have to upload a song or 20 to my school if I have a free period and im bored. But that is all.

If I go Sempron or Athlon 64. It MUST be S754 as im in the process of buying a DFI LanParty UT NForce3 250gb for my gaming rig, which currently has a Gigabyte S754 in it. The Gigabyte will go in the file server, and the DFI will go in my main machine. I would prefer to get the Athlon XP-M because it will be cheaper. But im after the best performance for my buck, and if I have to spend more. I will not stress about it, after all, its only money.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64

Last edited by Rondog; 22nd August, 2005 at 02:53 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd August, 2005, 02:32 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

at the same clocks the athlon 64 will have a slight advantage performance wise.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd August, 2005, 02:37 PM

But is it worth the cost?

Old 22nd August, 2005, 02:44 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Id say no if you are folding and fileserving, the 754 semprons are still very capable chips, Id go for the sempron if value for money is your main concern(as its a secondary pc it would be sensible), I reckon the xp option is a little dated now to be honest.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd August, 2005, 02:48 PM
Member/Contributer

If you're going for a DFI board then you can expect 2.4-2.6ghz from a sempron and yes they are worth the cost over a socket A chip, performance is about on par with an XP clock 200mhz higher, maybe more

I'd say go for the 2800+ Sempron, you can get 64bit sempron cores now, the lower cache has little impact on performance, and with a good board like the DFI the low multiplier isn't a huge problem, as they can quite comfortably manage 300mhz+ bus clocks

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd August, 2005, 02:48 PM

OK, thanks for your input. But more e-pinions required.

"People, lend me your e-pinions!"

Old 22nd August, 2005, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
If you're going for a DFI board then you can expect 2.4-2.6ghz from a sempron and yes they are worth the cost over a socket A chip, performance is about on par with an XP clock 200mhz higher, maybe more

I'd say go for the 2800+ Sempron, you can get 64bit sempron cores now, the lower cache has little impact on performance, and with a good board like the DFI the low multiplier isn't a huge problem, as they can quite comfortably manage 300mhz+ bus clocks
No, no, no. Thats my poor explaining. My gaming machine (see sig) will have the Gigabyte board pulled, because it maxes out at 230mhz. And it is being replaced with a DFI. This is my main gaming machine.

The one this thread is about, is a secondary file server. If it is S754 if will have the Gigabyte board. And the CPU will be a 64bit Sempron or a low-end Athlon 64. Or I will sell the board, and get the Athlon XP-M and EPoX board. It just depends on the comments I get here. So what are yours?

***EDIT: I edited my first post to explain these things better. Sorry for the confusion***

Old 22nd August, 2005, 03:25 PM
Member/Contributer

I still say go for the sempron, you should still get a decent overclock with a K8T800Pro board, you may even find that it makes sense to use it in your main rig with the DFI board if it overclocks high enough

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd August, 2005, 09:00 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Do semprons have SSE2 or SSE3?
For some folding cores, the performance will double with CPUs that have the extra instruction sets. My venice chugs along, only slightly faster than my bartons on most WUS, but when it sees a core and can use SSE2 or SSE3, my production jumps like you wouldn't believe.
Old 22nd August, 2005, 09:12 PM
Member/Contributer

The latest Semprons have SSE3 I believe (making them more advanced than any S754 A64's) but it has minimal benefits over SSE2, I think less than 1%

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd August, 2005, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
Do semprons have SSE2 or SSE3?
For some folding cores, the performance will double with CPUs that have the extra instruction sets. My venice chugs along, only slightly faster than my bartons on most WUS, but when it sees a core and can use SSE2 or SSE3, my production jumps like you wouldn't believe.
I thought SSE3 was only on Venice and San Deigo cores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
I still say go for the sempron, you should still get a decent overclock with a K8T800Pro board, you may even find that it makes sense to use it in your main rig with the DFI board if it overclocks high enough
Yes, becase the max HTT of the Gigabyte is 230mhz. The DFI is 300mhz+. And I think my chip will do at least 260mhz.

Old 22nd August, 2005, 09:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

According to NewEgg, all of the S754 Semprons (2600, 2800, 3000, 3400) are available with SSE3 and 64-bit extensions. However, the S754 Semprons without those features are slightly cheaper (like 5%-15%).
Old 22nd August, 2005, 09:31 PM

OK thank you. Any more comments?

So far, all you guys agree, Athlon 64 if I can get it, but 64bit Sempron if I cant afford the Athlon 64?

Here is the link for the 64bit Sempron - http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=16152

I cant find here or on AMD's site what instruction sets it feautures.

Old 22nd August, 2005, 10:12 PM
Member/Contributer

Actually I suggest a sempron over an A64 2800+, they overclock more (90nm vs 130nm) cost less and performance clock for clock is a lot closer than you might think even with the lower cache.

I think there is even a chance that the sempron will challenge your current A64 performance wise

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd August, 2005, 10:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I think I would agree with Graham, based on what I've been reading. At this point, there isn't a lot compelling you to get an A64 unless you want to go dual core.
Old 23rd August, 2005, 01:24 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

DOH!!!
I just ordered another venice 3000+. I just couldn't stand it on the sidelines....
I just can't wait any longer for an affordable dual core.
Old 23rd August, 2005, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I think I would agree with Graham, based on what I've been reading. At this point, there isn't a lot compelling you to get an A64 unless you want to go dual core.
Dual core is out of the question as its only S754. Sempron it is. Thanks people.

Old 23rd August, 2005, 08:24 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
DOH!!!
I just ordered another venice 3000+. I just couldn't stand it on the sidelines....
I just can't wait any longer for an affordable dual core.
You're building another rig? I thought you didn't finish the play with the last one.
Old 24th August, 2005, 08:15 AM

Any more comments?

Old 24th August, 2005, 10:03 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Yep, get the Sempron with SSE2&3! it will rock on folding. I realy like when a small bud becomes powerfull (via OC this time ) and I allways like to see Graham stand strong by his idea (I think it's 10th time when Graham reccomends this combo to someone but I never get bored when I see that)