AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd August, 2005, 03:09 PM

AMD XP Mobile or P4

Hi guys I have a Media Center PC which I usee purely for video i.e hi def DVD etc what is the best for this my CPU which is AMD XP mobile overclocked to 2.4ghz FSB is 200MHz or Intel P4 2.8ghz ?
Old 22nd August, 2005, 03:15 PM
Member/Contributer

The Athlon without a doubt, while performance is better from the P4, it's a lot harder to cool quietly than an XP-M and if you get a decent video card, HD decoding is taken care of, something like a Geforce 6200A, which come cooled passively

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd August, 2005, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
The Athlon without a doubt, while performance is better from the P4, it's a lot harder to cool quietly than an XP-M and if you get a decent video card, HD decoding is taken care of, something like a Geforce 6200A, which come cooled passively
Thanks for the advice would I see much gain in increasing the ghz or FSB further ?
Is it worth the extra for the 6600gt passivly cooled ?
Old 22nd August, 2005, 03:50 PM
Member/Contributer

If you want it for gaming then a passive 6600 would be a good choice, I think gigabyte do one. But if as you say it's purely as a HTPC, then the video capabilities of the 6200A are just fine, It's easily the best HTPC video card you can get, low power, passive cooling, cheap and purevideo support and can still hack it with most games.

To be honest with the XP-M you may actually be better off underclocking/undervolting it. You only need so much power for such a system, especialy with the video card taking a lot of the load off, so getting the cpu to run cool means you can cool it without a noisey fan.

Take a look over at silentpcreview, they are a dedicated site to running systems quietly, many for the purpose of having it in the living room.

www.silentpcreview.com

And I did a FAQ a while back on the subject of quiet computing (note to self, needs updating)

Recommended List - Quiet PC

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th August, 2005, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
If you want it for gaming then a passive 6600 would be a good choice, I think gigabyte do one. But if as you say it's purely as a HTPC, then the video capabilities of the 6200A are just fine, It's easily the best HTPC video card you can get, low power, passive cooling, cheap and purevideo support and can still hack it with most games.

To be honest with the XP-M you may actually be better off underclocking/undervolting it. You only need so much power for such a system, especialy with the video card taking a lot of the load off, so getting the cpu to run cool means you can cool it without a noisey fan.

Take a look over at silentpcreview, they are a dedicated site to running systems quietly, many for the purpose of having it in the living room.

www.silentpcreview.com

And I did a FAQ a while back on the subject of quiet computing (note to self, needs updating)

Recommended List - Quiet PC
thanks for your help I have a pyramid device installed for my case fans and then a manual adjustment dial for my CPU fan ti si currently set to 2800rpm and CPU temp is about 45% system is %35.
I have it overclocked to 2.4ghz with multiplier of 12 I seem to get the best results by raising my multiplier as I think my memorey cant run much past 200FSB is this safe ? I am happy with the 2.4gz it is stable and cool enough after I get the nvidia 6200a I may decrease the voltage from 1.75v back to 1.45v
I found a bargain here I just can't find any info on it and it appears to have been discontinued ? Also more graphics memory is that just needed for gaming ?
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=219244
I can't find anoyone that beats this a 6200a 256mb for £50

Last edited by grandmaster_b; 24th August, 2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old 24th August, 2005, 01:34 PM
Member/Contributer

Don't bother with a 256mb card, they don't offer any benefits over a 128mb card and you'll save yourself a few quid to boot

I think 1.75V is safe enough with decent cooling, but I've no experience with XP's so someone else might like to chirp in here

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 24th August, 2005, 01:48 PM

Thanks Its actually cheaper though to buy the 256mb card from scan unless you know anywhere that sells the 128mb version for less ?
Old 24th August, 2005, 02:00 PM
Member/Contributer

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...00_Series.html

It is only about a fiver cheaper but I'm sure I've seen 128mb cards for about £42 at scan ahh well

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 24th August, 2005, 03:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

1.75v is fine for that chip as long as it is properly cooled. However, Graham is right, 2.4 GHz is probably more than you need. Which XP-M is it? Many folks have been finding that running those chips at their default clock speed they can drop the voltage back to 1.35v or even lower, particularly with the 2400, 2500, and 2600+ chips. (which I think are 1.7Ghz, 1.75 Ghz, and 1.8 Ghz clock speeds)
Old 24th August, 2005, 03:18 PM
Member/Contributer

To be honest for a HTPC around 1.4ghz will be plenty, at that speed you should be able to cope with as little as 1-1.1V which with a reasonable cooler and some case airflow can easily be cooled passively or with a very very slow low noise fan while at the same time using less power so the PSU will be under less load and also able to run it's fan much slower.

It's quite easy to build a HTPC where the only component you can hear is the hard drive, and a samsung spinpoint can reduce that fact to the point where you have to listen for it and it can only be heard in a near silent room

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah