AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th August, 2005, 11:14 PM

Overclocking a 3800+

I was wondering if anyone had any experience OCing a 3800? I dropped one of those in a system I built last year, but never messed around with it. I wanted it to be super stable and I think I remember reading some reviews that said they didnt' OC well at all (Unlike the FX-53, which was the big whoop a year ago). This is the Newcastle core. What can one expect from trying out an OC? Are the gains at least to 2.6 ghz?

With all the goodness to be gleaned with the 3000/3200 Venice cores (I just got one and am loving it), it is evident that these can pretty reliably surpass the 3800 (at stock). Certainly, they can go even further.

If the 3800 turns out to be a curmudgeon when it comes to OCing, how crazy is it to pull it out and drop in a 3000? I could probably sell the 3800 for the cost of a 3000 (maybe even a little more), and possibly have a racier chip to boot. Is that crazy, stupid or sneaky...or all three?

Last edited by Cproflow; 24th August, 2005 at 11:17 PM. Reason: additional info
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th August, 2005, 11:24 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

3700+ i bought yesterday:

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=34578

booted into windows @ 255x11, i changed nothing else, besides mem divider.

now, my cpu is rated as a 59c maxcasetemp cpu, with an offset of +7. these figures can be found in CBiD, under the mobility tab, and pstates.

This will give a good idea of what the cpu canm do...the higher the maxcasetemp, the higher the chip will overclock.

tell me what those numbers are, and i can suggest settings for you.
Old 24th August, 2005, 11:37 PM
Member/Contributer

Newcastles top out at 2.4-2.6ghz, usually around 2.5ghz

As for selling it and grabbing a 3000+ well that all depends on your motherboard, if you have a decent NF3 board that will manage a 300+ mhz HTT clock and assuming you can sell your 3800+ for close to the cost of a 3000+ then I see no reason not to, you are almost guaranteed a faster chip along with cooler running and lower power consumption

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th August, 2005, 11:39 PM

Cadaveca--I have tried looking up that case temp thing in CBiD...but the fields are blank for the temp, and I think the offset is -3C. (can't quite remember, I'm at work atm...I can check when I get home).

Now, on the Venice core, I get 57C (dang...have to check on that offset.)
Old 24th August, 2005, 11:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

I have a 3000+ Venice with a TCase Maximun of 55c and a thermal offset of -4c. What does this mean/mean i could do?

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 25th August, 2005, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cproflow
Cadaveca--I have tried looking up that case temp thing in CBiD...but the fields are blank for the temp, and I think the offset is -3C. (can't quite remember, I'm at work atm...I can check when I get home).

Now, on the Venice core, I get 57C (dang...have to check on that offset.)
max temp for newcastles are all the same. this feature has only been fully enable on rev E and later CPU's.

57c is about 27-2900mhz 1.5-1.6. we still do nate have enough results to make an exact match yet, but it's becoming clearer now, anyway.

my 55c venice(3500+) max was 2640 @ 1.675(prime95 stable)

The thermal offset says that the actual reported temperature by the bios is offset that number of degrees C, in relation to the actual temperature the cpu's diode is reporting.
Old 25th August, 2005, 12:44 AM

Allrighty, back from work.

As I mentioned earler, my 3800 reads blank for max case temp, and 13c for offset.

My 3000 reads 57c max temp and -3c offset.

Any guesses how to extrapolate performance from this info?
Old 25th August, 2005, 12:55 AM

well, your newcastle...i dunno. they are odd birds. no real rules seem to apply, other than that the first released clocked the best.

the 3000..well..make sure you keep your temps @ 54c or less...the bios is subtracting that from teh reported temps by the CPU's diode.

250x10 1.55v....ah crap you have a 3000. 300x9...1.55...maybe 1.6. try to keep temps below 45c. these are baselines..you may be either above or below. you'll ahve to play a bit with it, as each chip behaves a bit diffferently, regardless of how alike they are.

please let us know.
Old 25th August, 2005, 12:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

I have stock cooling ATM. But, I'll be getting a nice Asetek water cooling unit sometime in a few months. I'll be sure to let you know.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1