AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th August, 2005, 12:24 AM

Unhappy Noob oc problem

Hi,
I have a system that using the net i sort of designed for overclocking. i used some reviews from anand tech and some guesswork but this is what ii have.
amd 4400+ x2
k8n sli plat mobo (msi)
2 gig corsair ram
2x 500 gig hdisk (raid on mobo)
also i aded a case with loads of fans asus vento3600 and a aquagate watercooling system.
7800 gtx graphics card
2x dell 24 inch tfts

The problem i have is that the mobo dynamic oc doesnt seem to work..the optimim mode with agressive timings and so on seem to make the computer unbootable. Also if i use clock gen the system seems to reboot if it goes over 2.3 gig.... the temps stay fine like 37 degrees maybe 38 under full load i cant figure out what it is, i have saerched the forum and the net but i cant seem to find the fault.

1 other thiing the system never shuts down properly or turns on properly always 2nd boot runs fine...th eonly other things i have for it are dineveo keyboard and sphere webcam...are there any known problems/conflicts with any of these parts??

thanks in advance for the advice.
Hopefully i can pass it on as my bro has the exact same sytem
Old 26th August, 2005, 11:58 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

If you have that much to spend on your rig then I dont reckon you need to overclock.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th August, 2005, 12:28 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
If you have that much to spend on your rig then I dont reckon you need to overclock.
Mate...that's not the point! Why do you OVERCLOCK?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbops
Hi,
I have a system that using the net i sort of designed for overclocking. i used some reviews from anand tech and some guesswork but this is what ii have.
amd 4400+ x2
k8n sli plat mobo (msi)
2 gig corsair ram
2x 500 gig hdisk (raid on mobo)
also i aded a case with loads of fans asus vento3600 and a aquagate watercooling system.
7800 gtx graphics card
2x dell 24 inch tfts

The problem i have is that the mobo dynamic oc doesnt seem to work..the optimim mode with agressive timings and so on seem to make the computer unbootable. Also if i use clock gen the system seems to reboot if it goes over 2.3 gig.... the temps stay fine like 37 degrees maybe 38 under full load i cant figure out what it is, i have saerched the forum and the net but i cant seem to find the fault.

1 other thiing the system never shuts down properly or turns on properly always 2nd boot runs fine...th eonly other things i have for it are dineveo keyboard and sphere webcam...are there any known problems/conflicts with any of these parts??

thanks in advance for the advice.
Hopefully i can pass it on as my bro has the exact same sytem
What kind of RAM? Maybe it can't go up the way you want it and you need to use a divider.
Old 26th August, 2005, 12:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

I overclock for bragging rights. Not because I have to.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th August, 2005, 01:03 PM

I believe the ram is dual channel 400mhz coarsair valueselect. its not the pentium 4 mem as i believe that is double the speed ... its the standard one for the athlon x2 maybe 200?? as i said i am a noob also its 2x 1 gig sticks if that makes a diff

it was the one that was reckomended to me....any ideas?

Last edited by tbops; 26th August, 2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old 26th August, 2005, 02:05 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

ok,ok....Im just jealous, ill go and stand in the corner.

I overclock so I can play battlefield with ever more pace and pretty stuff.

Sorry about that I dont know what came over me.....You will need to set a divider for you memory so that it can run within its abilities and then you will need to lower the htt multipier to 2 or three so that you can raise your htt above 200 without exceeding 2000mhz, eg 200x5, 250x4, 3x333 etc...(it gets doubled)

AOA Team fah

Last edited by MONKEYMAN; 26th August, 2005 at 02:11 PM.
Old 26th August, 2005, 07:38 PM

cool cheers ill try now...just so im getting this right i need to increase the mutiplyer and reduce the mhz so that the amount is within the working range of the mem...or have i got it all wrong?
Old 28th August, 2005, 01:58 AM

right i went in to the bois and looked at the h/t and stuff. i didnt find anything that would seperate the mhz goin thru and the cpu and the mem. I have looked that the multiplyer its set to 5 and the fsb is set to 200. the chips running at like 2. somthing gig and the mem at 201. any tips...the mobo i got was supposed to be good for overclocking i cant imagining it not having the right features. (k8n neo4 sli plat)
Old 28th August, 2005, 02:36 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

You can't raise the multi..

I have 2gig of dual channel Corsair VS... It overclocks to 240fsb with 2.8v. First, try a little extra voltage there. then, try running asynch 5/6 - mem/fsb.

Do NOT try dynamic software based OC... Try looking at one component at a time and oc/// This way, you can find the limiting factor and work around it.
Old 28th August, 2005, 05:00 PM

Drop your ldt multiplier down to 2 or 3, htis will allow you to raise your htt to well over 300 before it falls over.

AOA Team fah