AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th August, 2005, 08:35 PM

Question overclocking AMD 64 Venice

I am currrently trying to overclock my processor(AMD 64 3000+ Venice) and have so far been very pleased (~2.34Ghz). BUT many other users of the same chip have reached higher overclocks. I know that each chip will overclock differently, but on average I should be able to overclock a bit further. Another question I have is that when I use overclocking software (clockgen, systool) I can overclock my sytems FSB up to about 283mhz before the stability tests shows errors(or my system locks up), and windows appears to run fine. BUT when I try the SAME overclocking settings through BIOS, the highest I can change FSB and still boot into windows is about 264mhz. I have tried changing all sorts of things to get in to boot into windows(chipset voltage,Vcore,HT multipler, dividers) Nothing I do seems to get it to boot after 264mhz FSB. WHY does the overclock work once inside windows, but not from BIOS?

someone please give me some ideas!!

SYSTEM:
AMD 64 3000+ Venice
EPOX 9NPAJ MoBo (NForce 4[latest dirvers/bios])
Corsair ValueSelect 1Gb(on stock timings [2.5-3-3-8])
XFX 7800 GTX GPU
Rosewill RE-502 power supply (500 watts)
Old 28th August, 2005, 02:05 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Hmmm... I love value select... some oc to 240+, but others done't oc for anything.
How high does the memory go in synch?
Push one component at a time.... make sure your memory is stable at any oc you are trying with your CPU fsb.

I'm only playing with my 2nd Venice oc... The first did 2.5 without a hitch. This one is struggling over 2.3 (AV8 @ 1gig VS).
Hang in there... limit the variables and keep pushing.
Old 28th August, 2005, 03:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

I think the stock timings for 1GB DC (Dual Channel) Corsair Value Select are 2.5-4-4-8.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th August, 2005, 04:19 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I thought it was 2.5-3-3-8.
2gig is 3.0-3-3-8.
Old 28th August, 2005, 04:26 AM

I have my corsair valu select ram overclocked past 245mhz at stock timings and voltage. But since i am using a memory divider, how could my ram limit my OC? Could my motherboard or bios be the limiting factor? I have tried all sane voltages on the VCore and still won't go stable after 264 htt(fsb). I am still new to overclocking but I have searched the internet for all guides and advice but still need help. I am not ready to accept that my chip has reached a limit. Please give me ALL possible techniques to OC past 264mhz. if possible
Old 28th August, 2005, 01:13 PM

Wahey I just got some of the same memory. I thoguht it was value because it didn't overclock....
Old 28th August, 2005, 02:42 PM
Steve Jobs

JShaw, can I give you some tuning methods other than overclocking?

Given you have a nice 3D card, (7800GTX) download the 77.77 TweaksRUs Xtreme-G modified drivers for your machine, and do a driverclean and install of them. Expect a very good improvement in image quality, and improved performance.

Also give the 6.53 Remixed Forceware drivers a go, as they offer some very good performance.

Overclocking is never as effective as it is after you have fully tuned up your machine with tweaks.

You can click on the Files button at the top of the page to go to the AOA files section and download both of these files, and many others
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!