AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th August, 2005, 06:12 AM

building a new 64 rig.... advice apreciated

first off im buying in phases as per the bosses (wife) request. so far i have a ddr kit of corsair pro pc3200. a venice 3200 ada3200daa4bp lbble 0524apgw. and a fatal1ty an8 sli. a silverstone zeues 650 (i know there's better but i got a hella deal $80) and a coolermaster stacker case.

so here's where i would like the advice.

i think i got the buyers remorse on the fatal1ty, im thinking to go back and exchange it for a lanparty sli-dr. it just seems like a better bang for the buck at $179 where as the fatal1ty was $229 and to me the only big differaence was the guru pannel. wich to me seems kinda pointless as once i hit a stable overclock im just gunna leave it alone. im specking a piece by piece watercooled system that should be VERY efficient. im trying to keep that under wraps till completed. does anyone have any idea what my processor could clock to with a decent water cooled setup?

i will eventualy end up with a pair of 7800gt's. im reculant to buy a pair of raptors since they are about two years old and there have been a few improvments in the hard drive technology since then, also they are kinda small compaired to most modern drives.

so thanks for reading this long post and thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 30th August, 2005, 08:10 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Get a Maxtor 10 for a hard drive. Damn near silent ive heard, and almost as quick as a Raptor, in some cases its faster.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th August, 2005, 08:12 AM

i just ordered a couple of coolermaster cooldrive 6 so im not to concerned about hd noise. but ive never read a benchmark that come close to a raptor exept a scsi
Old 30th August, 2005, 10:31 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

hoohoo51, a SCSI hdd is way faster than a Raptor and also more expensive.
The Raptors are good, but they're too expensive as bang for buck and haven't improved at all since they appeared (if I remember well -> 2,3 years ago). Get 2 maxtors with 16 MB cache and I believe you'll be content. Or if your mobo supports SATA II then go that way.
Old 30th August, 2005, 12:29 PM
Member/Contributer

Pretty much any newer 7200rpm drive will compete with a raptor for raw read/write rates, access time is a lot slower but unless you deal with reading/writing lots of small files it isn't much of an issue

I say definately get the abit board swapped, the DFI will overclock better and you don't have the shame of owning a piece of fatality gear.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th August, 2005, 03:56 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

That Fatality dude is a complete idiot i hate him he's making money from endorsing products which people will think will improve there accuracy and skills.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 30th August, 2005, 05:45 PM
Member/Contributer

He's doing nothing sporting 'personalitys' haven't done for years, but the differance is you're talking a £100 pair of shoes that kids guilt their parents into getting them not a grands worth of computer equipment

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 30th August, 2005, 05:51 PM
Team 45 Folder

Yeah i know i just think he's a jerk.
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 30th August, 2005, 06:38 PM

soooooo i shoud go with the dfi ? ? ? ? ? ?
Old 30th August, 2005, 07:06 PM
Member/Contributer

Big fat yes.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 30th August, 2005, 07:36 PM
Team 45 Folder

Definately. Get the DFI and overclock like hell.
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
AOA Folding @Home
Old 30th August, 2005, 08:17 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136158

I find the Fatality boards to be just a brand name, offer next to nothing for better preformance, or in some cases..worst preformance, from what I hear dont overclock that well when compared to the DFI line. Its simply a marketing strategy for somebody who feels they dont make a good enough living off of being a professional gamer.
Old 30th August, 2005, 08:24 PM

so waht are the optimal timings for a pair of corsair pro's ? in a 64bit rig?
Old 30th August, 2005, 09:38 PM

The problem with the Abit AN8 line-up is the most notable differences are things like OTES, which is fancy heatpipe cooler for the Northbridge, and things like Firewire and SataII over Sata.
If none of this bothers you, a bottom line non-SLI mobo, the AN8-V, costs just £70 and performs identically. I have it, I know! And I adore it.
But if SLI is a must, then I reccomend the Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe. Don't bother with the premium board, it costs £30 more and only major difference is the SLi is switched on in the BIOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 30th August, 2005, 09:44 PM

Johnathan Wendel (Fatal1ty) is just the computer enthusiasts Jamie Oliver.
He's been involves with Abit, Creative and even Vantec.

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 30th August, 2005, 09:45 PM

Johnathan Wendel (Fatal1ty) is just the computer enthusiasts Jamie Oliver.
He's been involved with Abit, Creative and even Zalman.
In CustomPC, they have a monthly "Where's Wendel" where you have to find his mug hidden somewhere in the magazine. Winner gets either an Imon system, Tagan PSU or Zalman Headphones.

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 30th August, 2005, 09:47 PM

That's cool n all, and I was watching a CNN special on him. He said " I want to give back the gamers"...well then why in the hell is he signing deals with Abit knowing their going to charge gamers out the ass for this board.

Also, MSI Platinum Edition is a very nice solid board ive read.
Old 30th August, 2005, 11:06 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, hoohoo51!

This is probably an unfair dig, 'cause it happened years and years ago. I bought the first 440BX m'board that let you change clock speed in the BIOS, not via jumpers on the mainboard. It was an Abit, and a dog of the first water. Haven't considered an Abit since.
Kinda don't think this keeps the corporation awake at night.
Old 30th August, 2005, 11:17 PM

Dont get me wrong, Abit makes the best board, IMHO for socket A and 478, hell my board for my P4 is an NF7-E2...but their just getting way overpriced and not showing true inovation for my dollar.
Old 31st August, 2005, 02:45 AM

well i went back today and exchanged the abit for the lanparty sli-dr. im prety confident about my decision. i forgot that i will also be getting the new creative board. i understand its the best to date.