AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th September, 2005, 01:29 AM

Exclamation Bent CPU Pins

How bad are bent CPU pins??? Anyone ever deal with them? I thought it was a really bad thing to have. A few days ago I noticed while installing my 500mhz K6-2 that it had a bent pin on the outer edge. I just proceded to bend it back and continued the installation expecting my little K6 to be dead. However when I powered my computer on, the little K6 came to life. I hope it continues working. I have no idea as to how the pin got bent. I guess I must have pulled it out sideways or something. I was worried bacause I thought that I wasn't supposed to touch the CPU or its pins. I wasn't even taking "ideal" anti-static precautions. I didn't even have ground strap on.
Old 6th September, 2005, 02:08 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Bent pins are not necessarily deadly. In fact, quite frequently they can be repaired with a little patience. The key is to simply be gentle when bending them back into place, and not bend them any more than necessary. I've successfully fixed several CPUs with bent pins.

Static is obviously an issue, and it is quite possible that the device has been degraded in some fashion by its exposure, but without a microscope and disassembly of the CPU it is going to be really hard to tell.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th September, 2005, 02:21 AM

LOL, when I got my first built my machine for gaming, I had the exact same chip, I bent 2 pins while putting it into the socket. (My dumb self didnt realize you just let the thing fall into place) take something that doesnt have a magnetic charge or anything for static and gently bend them back to place.

But like what Giz said, dont go to much...
Old 6th September, 2005, 05:40 AM
Steve Jobs

If you can force a chip with a slightly bent pin into its socket and then close the zif lever a few times on it, it should come out straight.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th September, 2005, 06:22 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

Yeah, don't correct the bent pin, just push hard. Somehow it'll came out of there in perfect condition !

PS Don't try this @ home !
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 6th September, 2005, 08:14 AM
Steve Jobs

putting it in the socket corrects it, and squeezing the zif socket lever further bends it back into position by gently applying pressure to the pins in the right direction. sockets generally have a funnel shape to the top of their pin holes, allowing slightly bent pins to still go in safely. Thats how sockets are designed. Its also how AMD recommended fixing bent socket 7 CPUs back in the day.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 6th September, 2005, 10:44 AM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Never rains but it pours in A64 land
Old 6th September, 2005, 12:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dod
Ouch! Yeah, I second Daniel...You da MAN!
Old 6th September, 2005, 12:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dod
Dear god!

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 6th September, 2005, 01:32 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

"We always use a stanley blade to straighten pins on cpu's - going in a row at a time in both horizontal and vertical planes - very quick and applies a very small amount of pressure." ET

This is how I do it when it happens! Putting in the socket correct that more but only after you straighten the pins!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 6th September, 2005, 02:26 PM
Steve Jobs

That goes without saying, but I was talking about small bends that happen when it gets put down awkwardly or slightly pushed not right angle bends. By all means unkink them, but getting the line up perfect is still done best by the zif clamping mechanism.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 3rd November, 2005, 10:48 PM

I've been using it now for a long time, and it seems to be running okay. Windows 2000 says that it is running right at 500mhz and occasionally 502mhz. So it appears to be fine. I like AMD K6-2 processors. They seem very durable and capable little chips!
Old 3rd November, 2005, 11:18 PM

yep bent my winchester ones once because of one very stubborn CPU heat sink went to pull it off the CPU and the CPU came out with it!
Old 4th November, 2005, 09:51 PM

I was sent an old Duron 900 in a box with other stuff once, and it looked like someone had set it down and stepped on it. EVERY pin (462 of em!) was bent.

I got them all straight...well...it goes into the socket anyway...and the sucker still works. Granted...I haven't found a place for it yet, but all in good time! lol
Old 8th November, 2005, 02:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to arin

A buddy of mine had some ****ty ram and a 1900+ when it first came out. he got pissed at the 1900+ and threw it agains the wall, smashing most of the pins. I took the time and straightened every one after he gave it to me for free. I got it to run fine and sold it years later.