AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th September, 2005, 07:57 PM

New 9NPA+Ultra & Venice 3200 - Please help!

Hi guys, I was encouraged to check this forum out with an inquiry I have as I'm a first time EPoX consumer. NewEgg has shipped the components for a new PC gaming rig I've been saving up for, and I've been trying to aim for the best bang for my buck. What I'm looking for is some help on trying to get the best BIOS settings/OCing tweaks to the system without going overboard - something stable for what I have that won't burn out in a year. Here's what's arriving tomorrow:

Mobo: EPoX 9NPA+Ultra
Video Card: Sapphire X800 XL Ultimate (FedEx delivered it while writing this message!!)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 160GB 7200.7 (SATA/NCQ)
PSU: Cooler Master Real Power 450W
CPU: Venice 3200 (model ADA3200BPBOX)
RAM: Corsair ValueSelect PC3200
Case: Antec 3700BQE (was a painful budget decision to swap out the bundled 350W SmartPower for the Cooler Master in order to go with a native 24 pin PSU to avoid burn out on the 12V rail)

I'll be applying Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste on the CPU (and am wondering if I should do so on the video card as well), and bought a Zalman's 7700-Cu for the HSF.

I'm wondering if anybody can provide me with any pointers or advice on what overclock settings I should aim for with this rig, or any advice from experience as to what I should aim to do when putting this together out of the box - ie, should I flash with latest BIOS from EPoX before anything else?

I regret in retrospect the RAM purchase for the more serious OC speeds, but am hoping to achieve at last a stable 2.65GHz speed with this system, if it's possible. I think aiming for 2.8GHz is out of this system's league, and if it were possible, would just burn out the processor within a year. Please provide any comments or thoughts, suggestions, etc!
Old 12th September, 2005, 09:53 PM

Question

You probably would get better response if you posted this in the Epox thread. It is in the center of the first page.
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th September, 2005, 09:53 PM
OcBible Creator

I bought some days ago Venice 3200+ too.
With stock voltage (it is 1.350 Volts) --> multimeter shows 1.361Volts it is around 2.3GHz 32M SuperPi/Prime stable.
Multiplier is 10X and I have MSI K8 Neo2.
Others have achieved higher speeds now I am burning this CPU to stabilize it around 2.7GHz.
You can see here my burn-in progress

My recommendations:
1) Don't run your CPU with Vcores > 1.55 Volts. OK don't look what I do cos I am crazy (I love teravolts and I do not care if I damage my CPU).
2) I don't have Epox mainboard so I cannot suggest you more. Sorry.
But in general keep Hyper Transport speed up to 1GHz.
So set HT=3X above 250MHz FSB.
3) Find your CPU limits first.
If you see at link above (save my thread at XtremeSystems and download O/c Bible) it is easy.
Just 2 hours and you make your first table.
4) Before boost your CPU play with RAM dividers/timings at defaults.
I have seen many many troubles some combinations do not work..
5) When you fill your table then you decide easily what multiplier/FSB/Vcore you keep.
6) I suggest the usage of multimeter for measuring voltages at full load.
7) For RAM don't worry bumb Vdimms (RAM voltage) without danger up to 3 Volts (OK I have seen 3.3Volts or more).

Hope to help you.

Last edited by MrSeanKon; 13th September, 2005 at 01:49 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!