AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th September, 2005, 03:02 AM

booting up whoas!!

I am building a new system with a dual core 2200 amd processor, a 6800 gt video card, 2 250 sata hard drives, and a fatality an8 sli mobo. when i went to install window xp pro it went through the formatting fine but after loading the setup files and rebooting it now it does nothing, it says no signal on the screen like
nothing is happening. Oh, by the way i also have 2 gigs of corsoir mem and seem to have no link lights on the modules. I already had to have the mobo replaced so i dont believe that is the problem. And the memory work before that. thanks for any help.
Old 16th September, 2005, 03:24 PM
AOA Staff

if it seems totally dead the power supply is the first place to start looking
Old 16th September, 2005, 03:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, JPR420!

When building a new PC, it's best to go for that first all important POST(Power On Self Test) with only the CPU, one stick of Memory and the Video card on the mainboard. Connecting the little plugs on the ends of the twisted pairs of wires from the front of the case to the tiny block of brass pins on the m'board is also required. If you get a good POST, just connect one component at a time, then boot the box again after adding the part.
Old 16th September, 2005, 03:51 PM
AOA Staff

after reading this again, I should have asked you if the screen stays at the "no signal" always or does it show tthe bios and then go back to the "no signal"?
Old 16th September, 2005, 06:18 PM

Dual cored 2200+? ---am I missing something, or did AMD make 2200+ MP's? perhaps thats what you mean.

At any rate, yes, sounds like the problem in question is your PSU, make sure you have a healthy supply of 12v rails and I'd say, go with something like 450Watts or greater. Hmm, also memory error's on your mobo? Corrupt format of XP?
I'm in the middle of a class and still thinking
Old 17th September, 2005, 03:39 AM

The psu is a brand new Antec neo power 480 watts. And no the monitior only says no signal, no bios, nothing.
Old 17th September, 2005, 07:12 PM

Question

Remove the board from the case. Reseat the cpu, one stick of memory and the video card.
Have the board sitting on the box the board came in with the antistatic wrapper between the board and the box.
Now plug in the powersupply, power to the video card (if applicable) 4 wire plug in for the cpu power.
Take a small screwdriver and short across the two pins labeled "startup power" something like that. That will start the powersupply.
It is a good idea to have a monitor close by and hook up the monitor cable to the vid card.
Now doess the board "post" & can you see the bios screen?
If yes that is good, look closely at the standoff's you have screwed into the mobo plate. How many are they?
Should be no more than "9", if you have more, or there are some that do not match with the screw holes in the board, you need to do some removal of some standoffs. These will short out between the board underside and the case, making the board appear to be dead.
If the board does post and you can enter bios, place the board back into the case.
Hookup the powersupply and video, recheck, if the system posts, then shut down the system and install another stick of memory, and hook up the front panel wires to the pins labeled front panel etc.
As you install more components, recheck between each install and the next, this way if it posts here, and you install something, then it will not post, that component has something wrong with it or the installation.
I think you get the picture. Finish the install and enjoy your system.
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2005, 02:22 PM

Thank you Bobyjo that was very helpful.
Old 25th September, 2005, 02:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seperah
Dual cored 2200+? ---am I missing something, or did AMD make 2200+ MP's? perhaps thats what you mean.

At any rate, yes, sounds like the problem in question is your PSU, make sure you have a healthy supply of 12v rails and I'd say, go with something like 450Watts or greater. Hmm, also memory error's on your mobo? Corrupt format of XP?
I'm in the middle of a class and still thinking
I think he means a dual core running at 2200Mhz. AKA a 4200 or 4400+.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2005, 03:17 PM

Your board has a two digit POST code LED. See what it says, then read the definitions in the manual.
Always the first port of call with an Abit uGuru motherboard, it's helped me a lot.
Old 25th September, 2005, 06:13 PM

I recently had the same type of problem where my pc wouldn't post. There was a few instances when I reset the cmos and it did post only to do a total lockdown once windows was loaded. I tried all I could to tech the problem. Reseating a new cpu, swappin both my 512 sticks out of the 1 slot, trying my old vid card, reconnecting all wiring, putting a less of a load on the psu, I even tried purchasing a new monitor from Walmart since they have suchhh a good return policy . The most intresting part about the problem was that the motherboard light all checked out such as the ram LED's and PWR LED's and all the fans kicked on and work properly but still no post. After everything failed... I purchased a new motherboard and was up and runnin again.

I hope the best for you JPR420!!