AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th September, 2005, 10:08 PM

Overclocking AMD X2 dualcore

hey guys, i was wondering how far an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ can be overclocked with the koolance exos2 water cooling setup......I just want a general overview assuming that i have good ocing memory and cooling. can a 3800+ hit 3.0ghz stable?

Shuttle SN26P Nforce 4 SLI
AMD Opteron Denmark 175 Dual Core
Corsair XMS 1024MB DDR PC3200XL
Evga 7800GT Copper Edition
Western Digital 250GB NCQ SATAII 16MB CACHE
NEC 3540A
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th September, 2005, 10:35 PM
OcBible Creator

3GHz with watercooling is 99.9% impossible...
It needs subzero cooling..
Old 17th September, 2005, 01:35 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Sheesh, a brand new AMD dual-core processor. Call me cranky, but I think I would enjoy the higher performance for a day or two before thinking about OCing it. IMHO.
Old 17th September, 2005, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Sheesh, a brand new AMD dual-core processor. Call me cranky, but I think I would enjoy the higher performance for a day or two before thinking about OCing it. IMHO.
OK your cranky Funny, I installed the 4600+ and about 45 minutes later had it hummin' along at 2.7 Ghz Been that way since running a Coolermaster Hyper 6+. Some of us do because we can

To answer the original posters question. Slim to none. Although a VERY good H2O system, the temps you would need to see would require a Phase change system and a staged one most likely at that.

Besides. Your running an AMD X2. Clock speed is not everything. Some people still are stuck in the old GHz Race from a while ago. AMD has shown that clock speed is not all that determines the performance of a said chip. You also can reach a point of diminishing returns.

If your looking for more impressive benchmarks, step up your VC. That 3800+ Venice can pump more info than the 6800 can use. Now a 7800 on the other hand......

Take it as far as it will go till you see no increase in performance at 100% stability, than back of 5% for a nicely performing machine.

JMO

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th September, 2005, 01:24 PM

I can give you a more clear idea of what I was talking about in the above post regarding clock speed vs performance.

I just put together a P4 640 rig for a co-worker. Here's the specs:

P4 640 3.2Ghz
Asus P5WD2 Premium MB
XFX 7800GTX
2 gig XMS DDR2 PC800
2 74Gig Raptors

Machine was brought up to 4.19 Ghz with 100% stability, prime 95 for 12 hours on Air cooling. Pretty sweet you might think right?

Well when put up against my 4600+ at a "Slow" 2.7 Ghz it was no contest. My machine convincingly outperformed his. I gave up almost 1.5 Ghz of CPU speed yet still held an advantage.

Some food for thought.

Old 17th September, 2005, 04:25 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Mine.

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/attac...chmentid=13460

But yes, that is sub-zero.

X2's are very stubborn.

I highly doubt you'll get a 3800+ anywhere close to 3Ghz, even with Phase change.... Hmm maybe I should get one and see...

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 19th September, 2005, 12:06 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
Mine.

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/attac...chmentid=13460

But yes, that is sub-zero.

X2's are very stubborn.

I highly doubt you'll get a 3800+ anywhere close to 3Ghz, even with Phase change.... Hmm maybe I should get one and see...
Mate, you scare the hell out of the Cpu-s even if they're the most stubborn in the world so that's why you can reach high clock But hey...you're the Hardware hunter
Old 19th September, 2005, 01:41 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoinar
Mate, you scare the hell out of the Cpu-s even if they're the most stubborn in the world so that's why you can reach high clock But hey...you're the Hardware hunter
Ooo.. I like that

XBL/PNS = neolad