AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th September, 2005, 08:50 PM

nforce3 & raid

I know the nf3 chip is able to create raid arrays with the 2 locked SATA, the 2 SATA connected via Marvel and the 2 PATA Channels. also a mixed raid (PATA & SATA) is possible.
I've seen a thread at dfi-street that says, it is also possible to create a raid 0 with 4 SATA and the nf3 chip can use HDDs via PCI for a raid array.

Has anybody done something like that? and is a raid 0 with more than 2 drives possible?
Old 20th September, 2005, 01:14 AM

Question

You may combine any variation of drives you want in a jbod setup.
If you want a raid array, you will need two drives of the same format, SATA drives are much faster than IDE drives, especially SATA 3.0gb drives.
There are two SATA ports that are not locked.
I believe the two ports you should use with the DFI nF3 U D board are the two that will be pretty much under the end of the video card.
If you can find a couple of SATA cables with 90degree ends on them.
You will not have any problem in using those ports and the cables will not be in any conflict with the video card end and the hard drives.
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2005, 01:35 PM

I know. The locked ports are these between AGP and CPU, but SATA2 does not mean faster hdds. It's only the interface. Todays SATA drives have a maximum bandwith of 50-60MB/s and SATA1 150MB/s. Only buffered data can use the whole bandwith of SATA2.
Another question, is NCQ only a SATA and SCSI technology or does any IDE drive support NCQ
Old 20th September, 2005, 02:25 PM

Question

I am not aware of any.
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2005, 02:29 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedon
Another question, is NCQ only a SATA and SCSI technology or does any IDE drive support NCQ
NCQ (Native Command Queuing) is a SATA only technology.
TCQ (Tagged Command Queuing) was originally a SCSI technology, but varients found their way onto IDE and SATA disks too. However, even for heavy desktop use, TCQ usually results in a performance drop.
Old 20th September, 2005, 06:57 PM

I looked at nvidia.com for specifications of the nforce3 and found this side

www.nvidia.com/object/feature_raid.html

at the bottom they say
1. NVIDIA MediaShield Storage is supported in the NVIDIA nForce Professional, NVIDIA nForce4, NVIDIA nForce3 Professional, and NVIDIA nForce3 MCPs.

this is the only side that tells something about nf3 & raid5, I've found.
the nf3ultra is one of nvidias nforce3 mcps or am I wrong?
I understand a raid5 with 6 drives (4xSATA + 2xPATA) is possible.but if it is so, why Epox, DFI, MSI, ASUS... do not list raid5 mode, but only 0,1,0+1?
Old 20th September, 2005, 07:48 PM

Question

Raid 5 is a commercial setup. I don't think you would want to get into one of these.
I have never heard of anyone with a desktop system running anything else than Raid 0, Raid 1, or Raid 0+1.
Raid 0 is the one (striped) that gamers want for the extra fast data transmission.
Raid 1 is for someone that has a lot of extremely valuable data and for protection, uses a dual harddrive in a (mirror) setup.
This way if a drive fails, the other keeps on going.
You can replace the defective drive, the other drive can copy all the files back onto the new drive.
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 20th September, 2005, 08:15 PM

a friend has some raid5 arrays. one of the controller is a 66MHz PCI Controller and extra cache. one of his raid5 with 4hdds is as fast as my 7200rpm raid0. if you build a raid 0+1 with 4 drives you get the same speed but only 1/2 diskspace. in case of raid5 you get 3/4 diskspace.
Old 2nd October, 2005, 10:58 PM

RAID5 & Nforce3 Ultra

My Configuration works with NVidia Driver 7.13 (beta)!!!
I use only the IDE Driver from this package.

But you can't boot from the RAID5. You need a new hdd for boot

The 7.13 Package don't only contains the nvidia4 drivers for the nvidia3 ultra there is also support. Maybee for more chipsets ... i don't know.

I use a MSI - K8 Neo Platinum (MSI - page) with BIOS Version 1.9
Maybee this helps,

greeting from germany
Attached Thumbnails
nforce3 & raid-screenshot.jpg  

Last edited by MikeP; 2nd October, 2005 at 11:06 PM.
Old 2nd October, 2005, 11:17 PM

thanks MikeP

but why you can't boot from this raid? is it a boot or a win installation problem?

and another question: is the raid 5 option available in nvraidmenu if there are more than 2hdds connected to this board? i have the choice between striping and mirroring...and that's all
Old 2nd October, 2005, 11:50 PM

I believe its a bios problem

in the bios raid setup i can't activate the boot stage for the raid in that column [NA] is shown

Oh and in bios it is not in the raid manage util i can choice 0 / 1 / 0+1/ and 5

For raid 5 its better to use 4 hdd or more... because you loss one hdd for security. With 4 drives you get 3/4 of the sum from all hdd's.

Forget to say i must activate every hdd that i will use for the raid in a special bios option!

(you can look at the screenshot in the post below)

uii is late here ... i go sleep (must edit this 4times)

greeting

Last edited by MikeP; 2nd October, 2005 at 11:58 PM.