AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th February, 2002, 01:58 AM

8KHA+ and 1/5 , 1/6 pci devidors

As there seem to be continuing irritating posts in the epox section about this I though I would start a thread in here.

This is my personall view on the subject.
If you feel I am wrong..please tell me.
I intend this thread to be a inteligent discution about the deviders..
If you have any relevent links or imformation please post them.

There is no OFFICIAL 1/5 or 1/6 devisor support by epox for the 8kha+

The board does seem to have some "Unofficial" capability to run very high fsb

Sisoft sandra Cannot accurately determine the pci speed on the 8kha+..sandra is an estimation not a exact measurment.

Persolally my bopard runs 100% stable at 166fsb and will run over 200 but my soundcard plays up.

To get a high fsb overclock you will need good memory and PSU.

Most knolegable overclockers can run there boards at 166 at least.
I dont think that 200fsb would be possible without some form of 1/5 devisor...or something else giving a similar effect.

The clock generator on the 8kha+ does support the 1/5 and 1/6 devisors..meaning thats the most probable means of acheiving such high fsb's
the KT266A chipset itself does not include a 1/5 pci devisor

I dont think anybody can give you a 100% guarantee that you will be able to run at 200fsb...but with the right hardware bios and memory you stand a very good chance.

I will add more to this post...including links to information about the 8kha+ clock generator and any other relavent information I find about this issue.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th February, 2002, 02:13 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Very well said Holst, let those who have ears hear!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th February, 2002, 02:22 AM

I have been able to observe that at different FSB settings my video card gets different FPS on q3... but for the most part the fsb must be set at a certain number for a certain divider to kick in that was my asumption.
Old 25th February, 2002, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GenoIDE
I have been able to observe that at different FSB settings my video card gets different FPS on q3... but for the most part the fsb must be set at a certain number for a certain divider to kick in that was my asumption.
Do you have any numbers ?

You you mean that you get a higher speed at 165 than 166 because the devider kicks in and the agp is no longer overclocked ?

Can you pin point exactly where this occours.

Old 25th February, 2002, 03:11 AM

Well i can't give you any numbers now because I don't remember certainly... 15(dunno) is all i remember... but yes that is what i've noticed ran it at lets say 161 and the FPS on q3 was @ 20-23 and i was like WTF!!! rebooted thinking that the fsb was wayyy too high for my cheapo vid card and turned it up or down a notch forgot really, what can i say, i try to get my system at its max no matter what... 168(turbo with 1command and all setings maxed) x 9.5 1593mhz and to sum it up thats what I noticed....

I also noticed that using Vdub (a video editing util) well I capture @ 29.96FPS with my overclocked ATI AIW RADEON and usually i never get lost frames... but one time i had my fsb @ say 165-166 one of those numbers and I noticed how I kept on dropping frames like crazy per second... over 4000 frames lost.. then I tried to lower the 4x to 2x checked same problem.. then i tried with 1x came problem... then i went to 168 no problem 4x....
Old 25th February, 2002, 03:46 AM
New Member/OES

Send a message via AIM to Bender

I have never seen any solid proof of a 1/5 or 1/6 devisor. There is more than one way to run a high fsb without using these devisors. Adjusting how many pci cycles and playing with you hard drives dma settings can help. There are so many ways Epox could tweak thair boards for high FSB overclocking. Something kicks in around 160 but probably not the devisors. With my 8K7A I was able to run a 185 FSB by simpley disabling dma. Before that all I could do was 160. The 8K7A has no devisors and my vid card, nic and sound were still fine at 185. Further tweaking could have gotten me close to 200 but it wasn't worth it with no dma. I was even able to boot at 195 FSB. Basically all I am saying is the devisors don't exist. Only the programers really know whats going on at those crazy FSB speeds.

The Project ProjectSimon.com And BizOng.com
Old 25th February, 2002, 06:04 PM
Banned

I was going to play with this myself, but I read about bottlenecks and noticed only marginal memory benchmark increases in comparable setups...

I personally don't need to add any level of instability to a solid and fast system.
Old 26th February, 2002, 06:52 PM

I accept that there is not going to be an official response to the "divider" question but does this hold true for the fact that i'm not running 8KHAL00 bios but the January 16th bios and the ram divider is in there as well whereas every time i bring the subject up i'm told it is only in the 8KHAL00 bios.
Ep8RDA+ v2.2 XP2500-M AQYHA 0410 @ 2640MHz, ATI 9800Pro, TwinMOS 3200 ram, LRWW Wb in GW-YCC6XF1 case.
NEW-mbike+rigs
Old 26th February, 2002, 08:51 PM
Banned

Have you consulted our Epox tech?

If he can't help (for 'other' reasons) perhaps someone in the www.amdmb.com forums (they have an Epox section with a lot of good how-to documentation) will.
Old 26th February, 2002, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by newhit
I accept that there is not going to be an official response to the "divider" question but does this hold true for the fact that i'm not running 8KHAL00 bios but the January 16th bios and the ram divider is in there as well whereas every time i bring the subject up i'm told it is only in the 8KHAL00 bios.
Some people where able to run very high fsb's with other earlyer bioses than 8khal00.bin...but they had problems especially the soft reboot problem..that 8khal00.bin solved.

Saying that the devider (if it exists) is only in the 8khal00.bin bios is false. If such a devider existed it would be in hardware...regardless of bios version.

But 8khal00 was the first bios to allow stable overclocking up to and over 200fsb for any great number of people.

Old 20th March, 2002, 10:51 PM

More evidence for the devider thanks to nitza666 and an oscilloscope

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showt...6588#post46588

This also contains details about the boards clock generator.

8KHA+ PLL and PCI dividers.

Im still interested in anybody who has any theorys about HDD corruption with this board.

Old 23rd March, 2002, 02:55 AM

Evidence against the deviders from www.overclockers.com

http://www.overclockers.com/articles554/

Old 23rd March, 2002, 06:01 AM
Banned

That overclockers.com article is full of crap, my system halts at 40mhz PCI because several of my components can't handle higher, and my system has been runing fine since I upped from 150 to 166mhz bus last night. I think the new bios files are what support the dividers ... you'll notice that bios was from late novemeber 2001, nearly 4 months ago, many things have changed since (4 months is like 50 years in the PC industry).

edit**I notice the article was dated today, I'm curious to know which bios he used, it appears he meant 11/30/01 and not 2002...

Last edited by Pinky; 23rd March, 2002 at 06:24 AM.
Old 23rd March, 2002, 01:27 PM

Its a strange thing.

I know for a fact that my PCI cards wont work at 50mhz....yet my 8kha+ runs semi stable at 200fsb.

There must be something at work here.

The bios overclockers used is 11/30/2001 which I think is 8khal00.bin....i can run at 200 with this bios. Its actually the best bios for high FSB for me.

Old 23rd March, 2002, 01:29 PM

Yet your getting HDD coruption that is I suspect due to your HDD being out of spec due to your 150fsb.

Maybee you should try a higher FSB at the point where Nitza666 finds that the PCI is 33mhz.

Old 23rd March, 2002, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
Yet your getting HDD coruption that is I suspect due to your HDD being out of spec due to your 150fsb.

Maybee you should try a higher FSB at the point where Nitza666 finds that the PCI is 33mhz.
No, it was the other way around, all sorts of corruption (even did a XP Pro disk check and had "threads" all messed up that needed fixing) at 166mhz, at 150mhz it works fine.

My guess, now, is that the IDE channels are not being divided properly... 166mhz/4 is 41.25mhz, that's high. Hats off to WD and IBM for making decent enough overclocking drives that took a days worth of abuse on the IDE channel and still work fine.
Old 23rd March, 2002, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky

No, it was the other way around, all sorts of corruption (even did a XP Pro disk check and had "threads" all messed up that needed fixing) at 166mhz, at 150mhz it works fine.

My guess, now, is that the IDE channels are not being divided properly... 166mhz/4 is 41.25mhz, that's high. Hats off to WD and IBM for making decent enough overclocking drives that took a days worth of abuse on the IDE channel and still work fine.
Theres something happening to the HDD as well at high FSB.
My drive works at 200fsb (udma100) but my soundcard complains.

Id probably be thinking that your memory or CPU are being pushed too far rather than your HDD.

Download "memory stuff" from AOA files and run the DOS memory checker at 166. The beauty of this is that you dont risk you HDD (unplugg it)
IF you fail then see if you still get problems with if you drop the CPU multiplyer.

My betting is that your memory is the problem.....set it to 100mhz in the DRAM clock in the bios and see if you get problems then.