AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th October, 2005, 08:25 PM

I'm so out of it...I don't even know if...

So I'm considering upgrading again. Just sold 1 computer and hoping to have a car and another computer sold in the not-so-distant future. Altogether hope to have about $1,500.00 - $2,000.00 to spend. Thinking SLi Epox board and 7800 GTX (when the 512 ones come out) and 2gb of Ram. Two more Raptor drives, 64 X2. The only thing is that I don't know what the new 64 chips are capable of. Can they now run 4 sticks of RAM in dual channel at DDR400 speeds? Did they fix the original flaw in the memory controller with the new chips? Help meh to lurn, my friends!
Old 6th October, 2005, 08:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

Nah, they advanced to the point where it can run 4 sticks @ DDR400 in dual channel but at 2T. I think, as of now with the current apps and games, you'd be better off getting a fast single core.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th October, 2005, 08:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

If you simply want to run one game at a time and no other apps, a fast single core is better. But for apps and games at the same time, go for dual (if you want music in WMP (just an example) and wanna play something like BF2 as well, dual core would be better). See, this is what you guys have taught me in the 'short' time i've been here.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th October, 2005, 10:14 PM

have a look at the Opterons for S939, the singlecores overclock pretty well, not sure about dualcore Opterons and the pros and cons against a Desktop-CPU
singlecore = Venus
dualcore = Denmark

for 2GB memory: OCZ has a 2GB dualchannel kit, 2 doublesided 1GB modules, PC4000 (250MHz)