AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th October, 2005, 04:05 AM

AMD beats Intel in US Retail sales!

http://www.tgdaily.com/index.html

While I certainly don't think Intel is going anywhere, this seems a sign that consumers aren't looking for 'Intel Inside' anymore.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dolanenwindrift; 16th October, 2005 at 04:05 AM. Reason: spelling :P
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th October, 2005, 05:08 AM
Steve Jobs

AMD has been lucky of late more than anything. Their marketing tactics have been brilliant, between the lawsuit that puts intel in the same category as Microsoft, to their stunts at intel press conferences and IDC, to their milking of the underdog status.

On top of that, Intel has been weak as hell lately, and AMD's K8 has just gone from strength to strength. Think about the last intel debacle and prescott is fresh in our minds, but think about the last bad AMD, and we're at a loss.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th October, 2005, 05:16 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

This comes at no suprise to me.

The only Intel I would use now would be a Dothan, and that comes from someone who has used Intel for the last 3 years.

With their current line up, their only redeeming feature is the prices of the individual chips, however, this seems offset by constantly having to upgrade motherboards.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 16th October, 2005, 06:53 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Good for AMD, they deserve it. I wonder if they'll drop the price of the X2's, they are costly.
Old 16th October, 2005, 06:54 PM

There are only two (current) chips that Intel has for sale I would actually purchase. Dothan and Northwood, my 2.6 is a northie and I love it becuase of the high overclocks without voltage changes or high temp increases =)

To me though, no suprise. Intel's marketing has gone so far down hill, and the days of people seeing "Intel inside" commercials left and right are behind us.
Then again, AMD could use some mass media attention, I only see their products in small advertisement with OEM's (with the exception of Dell, those stubborn bastards will never change) and PC vendors/magazines.

If they(AMD) really wants to achieve a larger portion of the market from Intel
then their going to have to 1) Be able to produce more chips, IE. more fab plants...and 2) Be able to connect with middle America and the average computer user, or as so I've brilliantly heard before "average folk, the common clay, you know...idiots" ---

Meanwhile, AMD has had back to back to back products that are of high quality and good preformance. The only thing I'm worried about is the AMD vs Intel lawsuit, becuase AMD could lose some stock and part of their ass should this back-fire.
Old 16th October, 2005, 11:18 PM
Steve Jobs

well, they have recently opened Fab 36 in dresden, with 50% larger wafers than previously used (30cm up from 20cm) and they have another fab planned in dresden by 2008, which looks like being moved forward to 2007.

I would agree with the motherboard compatability issues, but I think Nvidia's Nforce 4 Intel edition chipsets might sort that out. Nvidia do not like to be jerked around, hence why they have steered clear of intel until now, but I am sure they could smooth out the compatability issues intel boards have.

As for AMD, every one of their mobos I buy lasts me two processors.

My 8K3A started with a 1300Mhz Duron, then went to a 2400+ Athlon XP
My AV8 started with a 3200+ Winchester, and is dual core capable, so will be running one when prices come down.

Even the old Super 7s lasted multiple CPUs. Started with a Cyrix M2-300, then went to a K6-2 500Mhz.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 17th October, 2005, 05:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to SubaruWRX

I guess it goes to show you don't always need Tv ads to market.. Word of mouth always helps.
Old 17th October, 2005, 06:34 PM

Yes, however word-of-mouth doesnt reach everybody, and that is the goal.
That is where the mass media comes in my friend
Old 19th October, 2005, 05:30 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seperah
Yes, however word-of-mouth doesnt reach everybody, and that is the goal.
That is where the mass media comes in my friend
Advertising on tv is hella expensive, I don't think AMD can afford a mass advertising blitz. Maybe they can nowadays, I dunno.
Old 19th October, 2005, 09:55 PM
OcBible Creator

Other web page click here 52% for AMD....
Which o/c will buy 130 Watts dual core Intel?
Old 19th October, 2005, 10:26 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Sorry guys... I just don't buy it. There is no way that AMD is out selling Intel in any major category, especially desktop PCs. Someone somewhere is doing some fuzzy math and interpretting numbers inappropriately.... Maybe the 52% came from some niche (like pregnant teen's buying their first PC, or 52% growth for the month from the previous year) and is being transposed to a bigger market..

Don't believe me? start with Dell... The company selling 30% of the entire marketshare, with 0 AMD sales. That means that AMD has to be in more than 70% of all non Dell boxes... now look around. go to CompUSA or other brick&mortar shop... Tell me that almost 3/4 of the boxes are AMD.... please...

I follow AMD, buy AMD cpus, and even own AMD stock, but come on....
This is beyond wishful thinking, and into fanaticism.
Old 19th October, 2005, 10:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
Sorry guys... I just don't buy it. There is no way that AMD is out selling Intel in any major category, especially desktop PCs. Someone somewhere is doing some fuzzy math and interpretting numbers inappropriately.... Maybe the 52% came from some niche (like pregnant teen's buying their first PC, or 52% growth for the month from the previous year) and is being transposed to a bigger market..
I think you're right, and I think the operative qualification is RETAIL DESKTOP PCs. Dell doesn't get counted in retail sales, because they are a direct marketer. The same thing is, I think, true of Compaq and IBM, and most HP computers. They mention that 46% of the market is Media Center PCs. Do you really think that almost half of all desktop PCs being sold are for the home stereo?
Old 20th October, 2005, 01:56 AM
Steve Jobs

The motherboard companies are definately saying that they sell more AMD than Intel boards, which says something, because for every 2 AMD CPUs you only need 1 motherboard, and can keep it for ages, while for Intel, you need a new motherboard and chipset every month.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 20th October, 2005, 02:11 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
The motherboard companies are definately saying that they sell more AMD than Intel boards, which says something, because for every 2 AMD CPUs you only need 1 motherboard, and can keep it for ages, while for Intel, you need a new motherboard and chipset every month.
Another good point (or qualification) dsio... When thinking about mobos...
Who's the biggest mobo "brander" in the world, ie sells the most under it's name? INTEL... they exclusively supply Dell, again TRUE market share.

BTW... the recent trend is for intel to change it's design every 18 months lately, but AMD seems to be falling into the same trap. Socket A has been around since SDR PC100. However, S754, S940, S939 will soon give way to a new config as early as '06. Hang on to your bootstraps... it looks like upgrading is going to get rough for some time to come.
Old 20th October, 2005, 02:29 AM
Steve Jobs

The K8 sockets first came out in early 2003 though, and will not be completely phased out until 2007. Thats a 4 year + lifespan. Socket A started in '99 and was essentially replaced in 2003/2004, but is still around. There is no doubt 939 754 and 940 will be around in 2008 really.

EPoX for example have even breathed new life into S754 with SLI and Nforce 4.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 20th October, 2005, 05:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SPQQKY Send a message via AIM to SPQQKY

Most of the budget systems being sold now are Sempron based from Compaq and HP. You don't see those Celery systems anymore really. I am seeing mostly AMD based now if you really look around and the systems geared at gamers........it's only those middle of the road systems that are still pushing Intel, you know, the ones the nerds at Bestbuy make the Smiths feel like they are really getting something, with integrated graphics and the like.
AMD def needs more PR, but the enthusiast crowd is growing which I think has really helped AMD.
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI ATX12V 535W
3 x Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA150
160 Gig Seagate Barracuda
Asus Ageia PhysX graphics unit
Old 20th October, 2005, 05:12 AM
Steve Jobs

I dont know what the hell is going on with the cele.

The cele used to be a good CPU. That was in 1997.

Since the 300A its gone downhill like hell. A 2.4 Cele performs worse in games than a 1600Mhz Duron. When the Sempron and Durons were cut down, but still kicked arse, why would intel do that.

The AMDs are not extremely cache hungry, which is how they get away with cut down cache budget models.

The Netburst chips are so RAM and cache hungry, that it cripples them like hell.

Why not just drop the front side bus speed down to cripple them for the budget models.

Or just sell full P4s, that have been speed binned even lower, eg. 2.0Ghz Prescotts.

The celeron is just such a heap of crap its a wonder they still sell the thing.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 20th October, 2005, 10:38 AM
OcBible Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Τhe celeron is just such a heap of crap
Αs you can see in my sign I have this chip also.
Comparing Celeron at 18 X 211 = 3.8GHz (3-4-4-9 1:1) with 939 Venice 10 X 275 (3-4-4-9/2T 1:1) running DrDivX and XMPEG fps comparison showed 14-14.5 fps for A64 and 14.3-14.8 for Celeron.
Old 20th October, 2005, 10:44 AM
Steve Jobs

Thats one thing, but compare gaming performance. It wont be quite as friendly to the Celeron no matter how high you overclock it.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 20th October, 2005, 10:51 AM
OcBible Creator

dsio I don't play games that's why no video tools etc in O/c Bible package so I don't know the difference.
BTW cos I run many Mathematical packages all AMD CPUs are very faster than Pentiums for large computations.