AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th November, 2005, 04:39 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
At the moment the 754 boards are just as good in general day to day use as the 939 boards, if the entire initial budget is only $300 then even if he got a 939 board so it was "more upgradable" he presumably wouldnt be able to afford a dual core in a year or two's time which would be the next major step in 939 cpu anyway.
I say get a pci-e 754 board with a sempron 2800+(which will still run anything out there and is quite overclockable) and then you are leaving an affordable graphics upgrade route from say a 6200 to a 6600 and so on, this way he can still upgrade to say a 3400+ in a years time when the prices drop even further.
Hear Hear!!!

For some reason I have a great deal of experience in comparing 754 to 939 having worked for 4 and a half years for a company that the released the first ever 754 SLI board.
Old 4th November, 2005, 05:07 PM

First off, that clawhammer you posted, wasnt that a mobile CPU?
I saw it was OEM, so that means 1) More limited warranty and 2) needs HS/F
3) Good luck finding a v.20 mobo (like the Abit's) to support it on a desktop.

754 will be a fine system for this guy. Its quite wierd becuase about 2 weeks ago, I built one for a friend that came to $346 - $41 shipping and handling, I gave him a Sempron 3000+ and its a great little chip, but 754 is not dead, and will have good support for several years to come. Yes, I would like to see this guy go 939, so a possibly dual-core or even a better CPU could be in the cards latter, and Monkey, going from a 2800+ Sempron to a 3400+ on 754 wouldnt be too much of a justifiable upgrade, he would be better off just waiting for more cash... so with M2 coming around the corner 939 prices will continue to steadily decline. 6100 onboard should be fine (for now) but if your getting him another stick of RAM make sure it has the same speed, latency and timings.

It appears the only choice holding you back is the CPU and Mobo combo...

Good luck
Old 4th November, 2005, 06:35 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Sometimes 754 processors can outperform their fellow 939 mates. Don't consider 754 a bad choice !
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th November, 2005, 07:07 PM

Best bang for buck would be the onboard graphics and a cheap 939 chip, as far as I can tell. Throw two sticks of 512 Rosewill dual channel at that sucker and you'll have a flight sim that'll knock the guy's socks off. They have relatively cheap single sticks of 1gb dual channel that would allow the guy more upgrade options in the future as well.
Old 4th November, 2005, 07:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

i ordered the biostar Tforce-939 6100 instead. there was one thing that i couldnt find searching the web and that is, will the onboard graphix of this board be better than his radeon 9200 he has right now?
Old 4th November, 2005, 10:19 PM

Saying 754 is obsolete is both offensive to those who have spent money on the socket and completely mis-informed.
Epox are developing an SLI Socket 754 board, and in Custom PC December issue three of the six boards reviwed are Socket 754.
The Abit NV8 is a superb board, and don't forget the cost effectiveness of the standard.

Soxket 754 isn't going to be obsolete for a very long, long time. In fact, I dobut it will be much more before Socket 939 itself.
Old 5th November, 2005, 05:16 AM
Member/Contributer

With the dual cores all being 939 socket, not 754, while you can upgrade the 64-bit, when multithreaded apps and games are big, you will need a mb and CPU upgrade.

But if you have a 939 board, its just a CPU upgrade. Thats what I was getting at.

If he is going to be doing 3d rendering in the future, he may just want a dual core CPU, as they are much better at it than single core. Therefore the 939 socket makes more sense.

Its easier to say 754 is obsolete, like saying AGP is obsolete, than explaining the difference between the upgrade paths, and options. While I agree 754 will be around for a long time, the options in CPU, graphics and RAM are more limited. Well graphics until Epox does develop the 754 SLi.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th November, 2005, 05:50 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

so, is the onboard video any better than a radeon 9200?
Old 5th November, 2005, 10:34 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

They alread have.

http://www.epox.com.tw/eng/products_content.php?ps=375

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah