AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th November, 2005, 09:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to mobius_13

ABIT AN8 Ultra POST code 0.4.

Hello, I seem to be having a problem with my new motherboard. I had similar problems with my last two DFI boards (Ultra-D and SLI-DR), which is the reason I went with a different brand. Most of the time when I do a cold boot I get a 0.4. POST code on the LED read out. What I could find on the issue (which wasn't much) is that it seems to be some kind of memory error. Turning on the system with no RAM in the DIMM's results in the same 0.4. code. I tried finding a system to it, but it just seems random to me.

I've been using two different kits, 2*512mb DDR500 OCZ VX gold and 2*512mb DDR500 Mushkin Redline (not at the same time of course). I tested them all separately one stick at a time. Somtimes I can get a POST somtimes not. I can almost never get DC to work, I've had more success with only one stick in. When I do get a POST, I can run memtest86+ with no problems and boot into Windows and all seems fine. Which leads me to believe that the RAM isn't bad. I'll test them in another known working rig when I get the chance. As soon as I kill power and try to cold boot the problem returns most of the time. If I fiddle around with the sticks, reseating and swaping I can usually get it to POST, again no system to it whatsoever.

As far as troubleshooting, I think I've tried everything I can think of. Cleared CMOS, cleared CMOS and removed battery for atleast an hour, loosened RAM timings to 3-4-4-8, updated to the latest 9/27 BIOS, loaded optimized defults, loaded failsafe defults, and raised the DDR Ref votage a little. I even disassembled everything and set it up outside of the case, all to no avail. I'm pretty much out of ideas. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be specific. All comments are welcome.

Full Specs:
AMD A64 3000+ Venice (no OC atm)
ABIT AN8 Ultra 9/27 BIOS
OCZ VX Gold DDR500 1GB kit/ Muskin Redline DDR500 1GB kit (run separately)
OCZ 520w Powerstream
BFG Geforce 7800GTX OC
WD 160Gb SATAII
Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
Old 12th November, 2005, 11:11 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

swap everything out one at a time, try a different graphics card, then memory, then psu, then souncard...keep going till the problem stops.
This is often he best way of troubleshooting...the process of elimination.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th November, 2005, 11:41 AM
AOA Staff

What RAM volts have you tried?
Old 12th November, 2005, 07:41 PM

Well it seems its a compatibility issue. I went out to my local Staples and picked up a cheap 256mb stick of PNY PC2700. Poped it in and it booted right up. Just to make sure I powered down several times and it booted right back up. At first I though it might have been the heatspreader keeping it from fully seating. So I went ahead and removed a spreader from one of my Mushkin sticks, voiding the warranty at the same time . Still no post with it, oh well. So either all four of my DDR500 sticks are incompatible or I somehow killed them all (I'm doubting the later).

OCZ offered to replace my VX with some PC4200 Platinum's since the VX are nearing EoL. Do you think I will have better luck with compatibility going with them, or should I go for somthing else? Thanks for the replys.
Old 12th November, 2005, 07:48 PM

I know this might sound dumb, becuase I know DDR500 isnt DDR2 (Something AMD doesnt do) but try going <= DDR400 sticks. Just a suggestion, becuase I was originally thinking either you need a few more volts to your RAM or your PSU sucked, appears that isnt the case though.
Old 12th November, 2005, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seperah
I know this might sound dumb, becuase I know DDR500 isnt DDR2 (Something AMD doesnt do) but try going <= DDR400 sticks. Just a suggestion, becuase I was originally thinking either you need a few more volts to your RAM or your PSU sucked, appears that isnt the case though.
I didnt matter what speed I ran them at I would still get the error eventually, 333/400/500, and so on. I was giving them plenty of volts 3.3-3.4 with active cooling. I also tried another PSU and it didnt help.