AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st December, 2005, 11:12 PM

laptop: pre-built or custom build

I'm going to get a laptop soo (we will finnaly be aloowed then in 9th grade) and I was wondering weather to go with alienware's auroa 7700m (with AMD destop proccesors) or to just built my own. What do you guys think which is a better decison (my parents are paying for it this time).
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st December, 2005, 11:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

As with many things, it really depends on what your goals are.

If all you need is a laptop, and cost if of paramount concern, then it is pretty hard to beat the prebuilt jobs. However, since you are looking at an AlienWare unit, I'm guessing cost is not your overriding concern.

As I understand it, there are actually only about 8 or so laptop makers in the world. Everybody else just repackages these same basic products.

In my case, I bought an Asus M3000-N for my wife about 18 months ago. It was a bare-bones lappy that I then bought RAM, CPU, HD, and other options for. When I was done, I had about $1200 in the unit, and a comparably configured option from Dell or HP or one of the other outfits would have cost me about $1500-$1600.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd December, 2005, 12:46 AM

thats not such a huge fee I'm just wondering waether it would be better built then I could do. And I know that I can get the same case an alienware uses I'm just wondering where you buy all the parts and how thier different to assemble then usal. I'm also hoping for an AMD based sytem.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."

Last edited by madcatmk3; 2nd December, 2005 at 12:51 AM. Reason: AMD
Old 2nd December, 2005, 10:28 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

What are you looking for in a laptop?
Old 2nd December, 2005, 09:55 PM

light (doesn't have to be to light) and easy to type with as well as AMD based. Also I need good batery life as it
s going to have to survive my 8 hr school day
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 2nd December, 2005, 10:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcatmk3
light (doesn't have to be to light) and easy to type with as well as AMD based. Also I need good batery life as it
s going to have to survive my 8 hr school day
If you want 8 hour battery life, you're looking at something Pentium-M based. I don't believe any AMD-based lappy can currently touch that.
Old 2nd December, 2005, 10:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

Turion 64?

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 2nd December, 2005, 10:35 PM

I've never seen a tuorn I huess pentium M is fine.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 2nd December, 2005, 10:40 PM

You what? The only thing I got out of that is you've never seen a Turion 64, and I'm inferring that means you're willing to remain completely ignorant of any benefits it might give you, and you said you wanted AMD but there seems to be a fragment of, "a Pentium M will be fine". Please clarify.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 2nd December, 2005, 10:59 PM

never mind the 7700m it only gets an hour of battery life
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 2nd December, 2005, 11:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile69
Turion 64?
Ya know, I clear forgot about the Turion. I don't have any idea how it stacks up against the Pentium-M.
Old 2nd December, 2005, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile69
You what? The only thing I got out of that is you've never seen a Turion 64, and I'm inferring that means you're willing to remain completely ignorant of any benefits it might give you, and you said you wanted AMD but there seems to be a fragment of, "a Pentium M will be fine". Please clarify.
I would prefer AMD and I meant I've never seen a turon and are therefor open.
"Nothings a bad idea till you've tried it once."
and I also want a really good lookijng case that way it's like a walking add for me and my computers. I'm looking at comparisons now I didn't realise how good the intel M was.
also found out intels realising a Sonoma prossor soon.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah

Last edited by madcatmk3; 2nd December, 2005 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Sonoma
Old 2nd December, 2005, 11:39 PM

http://www.laptoplogic.com/resources...p?id=17&page=4
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 3rd December, 2005, 12:11 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks for the link madcat. That was very illuminating.
Old 3rd December, 2005, 01:19 AM

is it hard to build a laptop though being so compact? I can;t even find a turion chip for sale.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah

Last edited by madcatmk3; 3rd December, 2005 at 01:36 AM.
Old 3rd December, 2005, 04:28 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

You don't really 'build' a laptop in the same sense that you 'build' a desktop.

With a laptop, you get a pretty much already assembled unit, and just add your own CPU, RAM, HD, DVD/CDR/CDRW.

It's not like you can go out an buy a case one place, a mobo another, an LCD from a third, and put them all together. With laptops, so many design compromises have to be made that each design is pretty much unique and there isn't much way to standardize, other than on some basic things like I outlined above.

So no, it isn't that difficult to do.
Old 3rd December, 2005, 04:47 AM

www.newegg.com has everything but the barebone kit itself.

AOA Team fah

Old 3rd December, 2005, 02:06 PM

Ebuyer do barebone kits.
Turions stack up very poorly against the Pentium M. The Pentium M is my choice. It will be quiet and very quick. Go for a 1.6 or above.
Old 3rd December, 2005, 03:34 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
Ebuyer do barebone kits.
Turions stack up very poorly against the Pentium M. The Pentium M is my choice. It will be quiet and very quick. Go for a 1.6 or above.
Why'd you say that?! Have you read madkat's link?
Old 3rd December, 2005, 04:31 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Indeed, for battery life, the Dothan does better, but by a thin margin. Of course, the type of activity performed by the user has a huge impact on how heavy battery use is.

I'm a little surprised that LaptopLogic disabled the Acer power management software. Proper power management involves both hardware and software working together. With only half of the parts in place, the power savings acheived will be less.

As far as the "light" part, how many peripherals do you want as part of the system? You can leave out parts like DVD-ROM drives to save weight. Be careful when you pick up a bag for it - some laptop bags weigh as much as the laptop does! Rucksacks are handy in that they don't advertise "LAPTOP", which helps a little in stopping people stealing them. Again, avoid laptop bags with the brand name on the side for the same reason.

If you want the machine to last a whole 8 hours, then you are going to need two batteries.

How critical is it that the machine works properly? If, like my girlfriend, you *need* your laptop every day then you might want to consider some brand name machines. Why? Well, you can get a three year onsite warrenty with some brands. I know that both IBM and Dell offer a next business day service, where they will send an engineer out to fix your laptop on the next business day. A return to base warrenty can take a couple of weeks to turn your laptop around so you have it back working again. I don't know what the warrenty will be on a homebuilt system.