AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th January, 2006, 11:40 AM

What AMD64 board with at least 8 SATAs ?

Hi guys I want to build a server for my home it will be running windows media center and will need as many SATA ports as possible for expansion.
I want to get a 939 maybe start with single core then more on to dual when its needed.
What is a good board reliability is very important as it will be possibly running 24-7, good over clocking potential if I can keep it reliable and has at least 8 usable SATA ports for sinlge disks I dont want any raid arrays.
What about the DFI Lanparty SLI-DR ?
I belive that has 2 SATA controlers 1 NVIDAI with 4 slots at 300mb and 1 silicon image at 150mb with 4 ports.
So spec I have done is as follows
enermax 600W PSU
AMD Dual core 3600+ or Single core.
DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
1.5gb corsiar XMS
2 * 400GB WD SATA
1* 36gb WD Raptor
DVDROM and DVDRW I alreadyhave.
WIFI card I have already.
Haupauge PVR-350
Nvidia 6600GT.
Coolermaster Wavemaster silver/aluminium case.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th January, 2006, 06:58 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131517
it seems only highend crossfire and sli boards have 8.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131540

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136157
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136165

and it also seems gigabytes royal no longer exists or that would be listed, and the abit fatality board isn't there either cause I can't find it anymore.
but dfi or asus seem to be your choices. oh yeah the epox sli has 6 on it.
Old 9th January, 2006, 07:05 PM
OcBible Creator

grandmaster_b if you don't care for hardcore o/c then go to ASUS otherwise go to DFI but this mainboard does not work with RAM.
I bought a DFI UT Expert and I could go higher than 228 MHz (1:1 RAM).
Finally I changed it with this ASUS (is full modded) and hope to be lucky (I am waiting a second RAM module on next days).
Old 10th January, 2006, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the advice guys I think I will go for the DFI if I get a dual core cpu then there will be no need to overclock just yet. I have a DFI Ultra D board in the office and that runs fine its a stock 3000+ overclocked to 4000+ running stable aswell.
I have a coolermaster cavalier desktop case at home and the tower version in work I am impressed with the looks/ build quality and case temps what do you think of the wave master is that a similar case to the cavalier ?
It will be used as a Media Center PC Server to store all my video, mp3 etc my currenty MCE pc is not powerful enough to play mpeg4 1080p because that uses the CPU only as opposed to mpeg2 which I can use DXVA to ive me a little help.
current system is AMD MOBILE FSB 200Mhz 2500Mhz CPU speed. this has been a stable setup for me so I dont really want to push it further I thought it best to get a server let that do all processing and stream to my xbox 360.
Old 20th January, 2006, 02:31 AM

Just to say my UT SLI-DR has 8 and dual gigabit ethernet would be gret for a server. I have it hooked upto my plasma tv.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2006, 11:02 AM

I need some help I purchased the DFI UT-SLI-DR board which has 8 SATA slots.
Right the silicon image raid controler I dont want to use RAID I just want to utilise the ports for seperate drives I dont care about backup I have all my films on original dvd anyway is there a way of doing this ?
As far as I can tell you can only us RAID0 then create say 2 seperate arrays of combined drive space using striping but then if one drive dies you lose hlaf of all your data is that correct ?
Also concatenation does that just combine the drives space ?
Old 20th January, 2006, 12:23 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The SI RAID controller should work as JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) if you don't set up any RAID arrays - this is from memory however, SI might have changed things!

If you set up two RAID0 arrays and then stripe them, then the failure of one hard disk in either array will render all data lost. RAID0 works by striping the data across the disks!

Striping works by splitting data across all the disks, so that the first chunk ends up on the first disk, the second chunk ends up on the second disk and so forth. This combines the disk space and can result higher read/write speeds, as all disks are involved.

Concatenation on the other hand works by filling up one disk, then starting on the next disk. This also combines the disk space, but you can only ever get the read/write performance of a single drive from it.

Striping = RAID0
Mirroring = RAID1
Old 24th January, 2006, 08:11 PM

you could get a high-end multi sata controller card($500 range) that goes into PCI slot on your motherboard. You can set as many as 8 15,000rpm SCSI drives run all in raid0 for rediculously high performance.. This is just one of the examples of server systems can obtain. It will get you the performance.

Later on I'm planning to get me 4 raptor 10k sata2 16mb buffer drives in raid0.. along with iRAM@ 3GB and system ram at 1GB.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st January, 2006, 10:29 AM

Thanks guys for the response.
I dont really need it for performance just to stream media I wanted to use the motherboard SATA sockets because I only have 3 PCI slots on this board and if I put TV tuner or possibly 2 then this raid card I will have none left for any other devices that I will need in future.
Looks like concatenation is the best option for me as I cant seem to get single drives working on this controler where I could on the previous silicon image controller on my old board, if I remove 1 drive then plug it back in will it remember the settings and will I have no data loss ?