AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th January, 2006, 09:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

Gonna Build a new system

I just found out that it will not cost as much as i thought to get my stupid car fixed so that means i'll have some extra cash to begin the savings for a new computer. Im gonna go AMD b/c they are the you know what. im thinking that i should save up until may or june and wait for the release of socket M2 and the G71/x1900XTX which ever one is better.

My question is, how much do you think it will be to purchase everthing from the case to the DVD-ROM drives. or should i just go with the best s939 setup then just upgrade the cpu, mobo when the revision of M2 comes out so i would have less problems, if any? any thoughts or input would be great!

PS: i found out that my warranty on my BFG is still good so im gonna try to get a new one from them.
Old 16th January, 2006, 11:26 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

When socket AM2 comes out, you'll need to replace the CPU, the MoBo and the RAM, as AM2 uses DDR2 RAM. Does it make sense to buy a S939 system now, and then buy a new CPU, MoBo and RAM in a few months time?
Old 16th January, 2006, 02:28 PM

I am just building a system also are there any AMD 939 boards that can accept DDR2 at the moment ?
Old 16th January, 2006, 02:44 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

nope.

Normally, i'd tell ya to wait a bit, but because of your videocard, i find a hard time doing this. That 6800 has seen better days!

R580 should be out in few days(launch expected January 24th), so i'd hold off until at least next month before making a firm decision.

Personally, i'd be picking up a pretty muc hwhat is in my sig right now, if you were to buy today, minus the vidcard....