AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th January, 2006, 12:49 AM

New PC, FDD (where?)

Hi,
I know i haven't been on much recently but i know you guys are a veritable source of any computer jiggery-pokery.
I built a new PC yesterday and i've had a 'few' problems.
1- The disk ASUS supplied was 'corrupted' according to my new PC, my gf's laptop and others etc. So i had to get as many drivers off the internet.
I cant seem to get the RAID stuff sorted out, I'm only using IDE so i guess its doesnt matter, but the 'New Hardware' thing is getting a bit tedious.
2- There is a foppy disk installing itself... (it must be stealh because i didnt install one at all) so what is going on?
3- My new Gfx card works fine (great in fact) but my old Sfx card (Audigy 2 ZS) has a fit and causes a 'Machine_Stop' error everytime i try to access a DVD drive (i have two) so i just used on board audio (for time being i hope)
Well... they stopped when i removed the Sfx card

So my old HDD's work just fine in the new PC but Windows wants to 're-validate' itself I went from nForce2 to nForce4 IDE with no probs.
Old RAM works fine (didnt expect any probs)
Old TFT works fine (do need to use a DVI->VGA tho )
Case is ACE

So my new Pc is as follows:
AMD 64 4000 (San Diego)
A8N-32SLI Deluxe
1 GB Ram (pc3200)
2 x 80Gb (IDE) HDDs
7800 GT
580W Hiper Type-R PSU
Antec P180

So if anyone could help me out with my problems it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 20th January, 2006, 12:55 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Did you wipe and re-install Windows. Or did you carry everything straight accross to your new build?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2006, 12:59 AM

I carried it all across.
i didn't have a FDD on the old setup either :?
Old 21st January, 2006, 10:13 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

While one can get away with ignoring the fact that a new motherboard has a new BIOS, the machine itself rarely goes along with such willful ignorance. In days of old replacing a 440BX m'board with a newer one without wiping the HDD brought bizarre and sometimes quite funny symptoms to the table.

Alas, such simple humour is long gone. The plethora of updates for BIOS proves that the lazy man's method of slapping a new mainboard into a box without cleaning the hard drive and starting anew is punishable behavior.
Old 22nd January, 2006, 12:16 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey_shane
I carried it all across.
i didn't have a FDD on the old setup either :?
Go into your bios and on the Standard screen (the one that lists all your HD's and CD Roms and DVD's) you'll also see the list for Floppy A and Floppy B. I'm sure one of the (probably A) says 1.44. Set it to disable.
HTH
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th February, 2006, 05:53 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey_shane
Hi,
I know i haven't been on much recently but i know you guys are a veritable source of any computer jiggery-pokery.
I built a new PC yesterday and i've had a 'few' problems.
1- The disk ASUS supplied was 'corrupted' according to my new PC, my gf's laptop and others etc. So i had to get as many drivers off the internet.
I cant seem to get the RAID stuff sorted out, I'm only using IDE so i guess its doesnt matter, but the 'New Hardware' thing is getting a bit tedious.
2- There is a foppy disk installing itself... (it must be stealh because i didnt install one at all) so what is going on?
3- My new Gfx card works fine (great in fact) but my old Sfx card (Audigy 2 ZS) has a fit and causes a 'Machine_Stop' error everytime i try to access a DVD drive (i have two) so i just used on board audio (for time being i hope)
Well... they stopped when i removed the Sfx card

So my old HDD's work just fine in the new PC but Windows wants to 're-validate' itself I went from nForce2 to nForce4 IDE with no probs.
Old RAM works fine (didnt expect any probs)
Old TFT works fine (do need to use a DVI->VGA tho )
Case is ACE

So my new Pc is as follows:
AMD 64 4000 (San Diego)
A8N-32SLI Deluxe
1 GB Ram (pc3200)
2 x 80Gb (IDE) HDDs
7800 GT
580W Hiper Type-R PSU
Antec P180

So if anyone could help me out with my problems it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

As was said already, it 's not a good idea to change a mobo with that big a difference and keep the same Windows installation on the harddrive ...

I 've swapped nForce boards without changing the Windows installation, but that were swaps of nForce2 for nForce2 ...

Now to the question; is the FDD noted as detected in BIOS ?
Is it enabled in BIOS ?
That 's the first thing ...
If not, is the floppy cable connected in reverse ?
Has the floppy drive got power ?
Is the floppy drive OK; was it tested in another computer ?

1] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3000+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
2] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3100+ & 1024 MB RAMWin2k
3] ... Athlon XP2500+ Mobile Barton @ 3200+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
4&5] Athlon A64X2 3800+ @ 2.6 GHz (~ 5000+) & 2x 1024 MB RAM running @ 237 MHz WinXP

All folding 24/7